What's new

UK wants war crimes perpetrators punished

Hammer-fist

Reaction score
UK wants war crimes perpetrators punished

PM for int'l pressure on Myanmar to take back Rohingyas
Published : Tuesday, 19 February 2013

The United Kingdom (UK) has said it wants to see those who unleashed atrocities during the 1971 liberation war in Bangladesh are punished through due process, reports UNB.

Visiting UK Minister for South Asia and the Commonwealth Baroness

Sayeeda Warsi said this when she met Prime Minister (PM) Sheikh Hasina at her official residence Ganobhaban Monday morning.

Briefing reporters after the meeting, PM's deputy press secretary Nazrul Islam said they held discussions on a wide range of bilateral issues.

Hasina said the International Crimes Tribunal Act has been formulated with a provision for appeal to ensure justice though there is no such scope under such laws in other countries.

The PM sought cooperation of the world community, particularly the UK, in creating pressure on the Myanmar government to take back Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh.

The UK minister also highly appreciated the socioeconomic development which Bangladesh achieved in the last four years under the present government.

Sayeeda Warsi said Bangladesh has witnessed tremendous successes in various sectors, including infrastructure, under Hasina's able leadership.

In response, Hasina said her government has attained food security and ensured social safety net through taking various pro-people programmes for the development of the country.

Besides, she said, the present government has established peace in the country by containing militancy and terrorism with an iron hand.

Mentioning the preparation of the Election Commission (EC) for holding the next general election, the premier said her government has strengthened the EC and made it independent.

In this connection, she said the EC has updated the voter list to hold the next general election in a free, fair and impartial manner.

Hasina said the EC has held over 5,500 elections across the country in the last four years in a free, fair and neutral manner, and no one could raise any question about its neutrality and impartiality.

Ambassador-at-Large M Ziauddin, Special Assistant to PM Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap and British High Commissioner to Bangladesh Robert Gibson were, among others, present.

Financial Express :: Financial Newspaper of Bangladesh

1. The UK is one of the most powerful countries in the world and in the western bloc. They generally tend to follow the American line on most things, whether or not it's the same here I can't say.

2. The US has been conspicuously silent recently on:

a: Shahbagh gathering
b: Changing the law so Kader Molla (Jamati leader) can be executed. By the way I do not support if his execution of he is not proven guilty beyond a reasonable amount of doubt.
c: Banning Jamat.

3. The UK is basically saying "yeah, go ahead kill 'em" and maybe also saying "yeah, go ahead ban them".

Otherwise they would have said something like:

"We would like to express our concern over the war crimes trial in Bangladesh and that they be conducted justly and in accordance with international norms" (i.e the trials are not fair).

"We wish all parties in Bangladesh to resolve the current situation of conflict peacefully and do not believe that the banning of political parties with a wide following from some of the population is appropriate" (i.e. don't ban Jamatis).

I think the west is ditching the Jamatis and so Hasina will in fact ban them. I could be wrong.

@eastwatch @aazidane

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hammer-fist, you basically posted an article that contains no quotes to suit your agenda just like financial times with this article.

She informed journalists of her position on the movement after a meeting with Leader of the Opposition Khaleda Zia at the latter’s office.

“We heard the previous protests in Bangladesh were violent. But at Shahbagh the youths have raised their concerns and protests in a non-violent way. It has set a good example,” she said.

Before meeting Khaleda, Warsi, who is on a three-day visit to Bangladesh, called on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Foreign Minister Dipu Moni.

During the more-than-one-hour meeting, Warsi and Khaleda discussed Bangladesh’s next parliament elections, trials of suspected war criminals, Shahbagh movement and issues of common interest.

Focusing on her country’s position about the next polls, she said they hoped a free, fair and credible election, participated by all political parties, will be held in Bangladesh. The government and political parties will determine if that election will be held under a caretaker or a non-caretaker government.

About the ongoing trials of war criminals, the Pakistani-origin Baroness Warsi said: “We support war crimes trials.”

But that processes should be open, transparent, fair and neutral and the UK’s position is that capital punishment for nobody is expected. “We don’t support any death sentence.”

She said the UK government is working to abolish death penalty in the countries where it is still awarded.

BNP Vice-Chairman Shamsher Mobin Chowdhury later said the British Minister asked Khaleda about the first 100-day priority programmes of her government if her party goes to power.

The BNP chief said a national consensus would be forged to carry the country forward. She will put priority on tackling economic challenges, developing infrastructure, power, education and health sectors and strengthening poverty reduction efforts and democratic institutions.

UK Minister hails Shahbagh demo - bdnews24.com

@Hammer-fist, you basically posted an article that contains no quotes to suit your agenda just like financial times with this article.

She informed journalists of her position on the movement after a meeting with Leader of the Opposition Khaleda Zia at the latter’s office.

“We heard the previous protests in Bangladesh were violent. But at Shahbagh the youths have raised their concerns and protests in a non-violent way. It has set a good example,” she said.

Before meeting Khaleda, Warsi, who is on a three-day visit to Bangladesh, called on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Foreign Minister Dipu Moni.

During the more-than-one-hour meeting, Warsi and Khaleda discussed Bangladesh’s next parliament elections, trials of suspected war criminals, Shahbagh movement and issues of common interest.

Focusing on her country’s position about the next polls, she said they hoped a free, fair and credible election, participated by all political parties, will be held in Bangladesh. The government and political parties will determine if that election will be held under a caretaker or a non-caretaker government.

About the ongoing trials of war criminals, the Pakistani-origin Baroness Warsi said: “We support war crimes trials.”

But that processes should be open, transparent, fair and neutral and the UK’s position is that capital punishment for nobody is expected. “We don’t support any death sentence.”

She said the UK government is working to abolish death penalty in the countries where it is still awarded.

BNP Vice-Chairman Shamsher Mobin Chowdhury later said the British Minister asked Khaleda about the first 100-day priority programmes of her government if her party goes to power.

The BNP chief said a national consensus would be forged to carry the country forward. She will put priority on tackling economic challenges, developing infrastructure, power, education and health sectors and strengthening poverty reduction efforts and democratic institutions.

UK Minister hails Shahbagh demo - bdnews24.com

1. I have no "agenda", apart from the fact that I hate Jamatis/rezakars. My agenda does not include getting votes for any political party like some here, or making money from Bangladeshi politics, or igniting a war with India.

2. I am not exactly sure what the US/UK are up to so put this article above for discussion. You however in your usual way reacted with your characteristic put-downs and hostile way as you see this forum as some sort of tag-team wrestling competition.

I however see it as a place to discuss, to agree and disagree.

I was of the opinion that Jamat could not be banned, but surprisingly it seems Hasina will be allowed to this without any major objections.

Dude! UK was saying no capital punishment for BD war criminals not because they love Jamatis but whole of European Countries are against Death Penalty as Public Policy.

That is my personal stand also, stated many times. And stop calling PDF BD members Jamatis. Your post was reported.

1. I have no "agenda", apart from the fact that I hate Jamatis/rezakars. My agenda does not include getting votes for any political party like some here, or making money from Bangladeshi politics, or igniting a war with India.

2. I am not exactly sure what the US/UK are up to so put this article above for discussion. You however in your usual way reacted with your characteristic put-downs and hostile way as you see this forum as some sort of tag-team wrestling competition.

I was of the opinion that Jamat could not be banned, but surprisingly it seems Hasina will be allowed to this without any major objections.

Mass people have spoken. They are not feared by jamat's violation any more. Ppl started to avoid jamat.
AL may not want to ban jamat or give them detention. But general ppl will die for that.

The British foreign minister's statements were quite diplomatic, you can't make any assesment based on them. Both sides can twist to fit their own agenda. She mentioned the word 'justice' for the jamaati trials and due process is part of justice. So far the british news outlets have questioned the due process of this trial, so has the americans and all the international insutions.

UN human rights experts urge Bangladesh to ensure fair trials for past crimes
[Special Rapporteur Christof Heyns. UN Photo/Jean-Marc Ferré]

Special Rapporteur Christof Heyns. UN Photo/Jean-Marc Ferré

Print

7 February 2013 – Two independent United Nations human rights experts today stressed that justice for past crimes in Bangladesh requires fair trials, after voicing concern at recent sentences, including the death penalty, handed down in cases that did not ensure due process.

The International Crimes Tribunal in Bangladesh recently sentenced Abdul Kalam Azad to death, following a trial conducted in absentia that did not provide for all the guarantees of a fair trial and due process, states a news release issued by the UN human rights office (OHCHR).

Then on 5 February, the Tribunal sentenced Abdul Kader Molla to life imprisonment. Judicial proceedings are underway in several other cases and there is a risk that the defendants could also be sentenced to death.

“Given the historic importance of these trials and the possible application of the death penalty, it is vitally important that all defendants before the Tribunal receive a fair trial,” said the UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Christof Heyns, and the Special Rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers, Gabriela Knaul.

The Bangladesh International Crimes Tribunal was established by the Government in March 2010 to try and punish any person accused of committing atrocities, including genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity, in the South Asian nation, including during the country’s 1971 independence war.

“The Tribunal is an important platform to address serious crimes from the past, which makes it all the more important that it respects the basic elements of fair trial and due process,” the experts stated.

Mr. Heyns voiced alarm at the fair trial and due process concerns raised during proceedings that led to the imposition of the death penalty against Mr. Azad, including that the trial was conducted in absentia.

“International law requires compliance with the most stringent fair trial and due process guarantees in cases where death sentences are imposed,” he stressed. “Capital punishment may be imposed only following proceedings that give all possible safeguards to ensure a fair trial and due process, at least equal to those stipulated in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, to which Bangladesh is a State party.”

Ms. Knaul said she is concerned by questions that have been raised about the impartiality of judges and prosecution services of the Tribunal, as well as their independence from the executive.

“Witnesses and lawyers for the defence have also complained about an atmosphere of hostility, intimidation and harassment,” she added.

“Due process requires at a minimum that defendants are able to speak freely with their counsel, have adequate time to conduct their defence, and the ability to call witnesses to speak on their behalf,” Ms. Knaul said. “The principle of equality of arms should be respected at all stages of the proceedings.”

The experts also stressed that any shortcomings in the trial proceedings should be carefully examined during any appeal. “A credible appeal process also constitutes an imperative component of fair trial guarantees, particularly in instances where the death penalty has been imposed,” they noted.

Independent experts, or special rapporteurs, are appointed by the UN Human Rights Council to examine and report back on a country situation or a specific human rights theme. The positions are honorary and the experts are not UN staff, nor are they paid for their work.

United Nations News Centre - UN human rights experts urge Bangladesh to ensure fair trials for past crimes

The UN is also backing the jamatis, and we all know who runs the UN

Bangladesh: Resist pressure to push for death sentences at war crimes tribunal
Mass protests have taken place across Bangladesh calling for the death penalty for a man convicted of war crimes.

Mass protests have taken place across Bangladesh calling for the death penalty for a man convicted of war crimes.

© MUNIR UZ ZAMAN/AFP/Getty Images

“

Given the extremely tense situation in Bangladesh, there is a real risk that the government will use this amendment to push for those tried in the ICT to be sentenced to death

”
Abbas Faiz, Amnesty International’s Bangladesh researcher
Fri, 15/02/2013

The Bangladesh government must not let a proposed new legal amendment lead to a push for death sentences for those convicted in its ongoing war crimes tribunal, Amnesty International said.

Bangladesh’s International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) was set up in 2010 to try people suspected of crimes under international law, including genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity, committed during the country’s 1971 war of independence.

On Sunday, parliament is likely to pass an amendment to the law governing the proceedings of the ICT, which will enable prosecutors to appeal for the death penalty for those sentenced to imprisonment in the tribunal.

“Given the extremely tense situation in Bangladesh, there is a real risk that the government will use this amendment to push for those tried in the ICTto be sentenced to death,” said Abbas Faiz, Amnesty International’s Bangladesh researcher.

“We urge the government to resist this. The death penalty is the ultimate cruel and inhuman form of punishment, and the government should abolish it altogether, not call for it. .”

The amendment, proposed by the Cabinet, will allow the prosecution an equal right to appeal sentences – creating an opening for the prosecution to ask the Supreme Court to increase sentences of imprisonment to death sentences.

The ICT delivered its first verdict in absentia on 21 January 2013, sentencing one of the accused, Abul Kalam Azad, to death for crimes against humanity.

On 5 February, the ICT sentenced Abdul Quader Molla, a senior member of Jamaat-e-Islami (an opposition party), to life imprisonment for crimes against humanity.

That second verdict sparked mass protests across Bangladesh with tens of thousands of people rallying in in Dhaka calling for the death penalty for Molla. Opposition activists have called both verdicts politically motivated

A further seven individuals, all members of political opposition parties, are currently on trial in the ICT.

“The ICT is a historic opportunity to end over 40 years of impunity for the horrendous crimes committed during Bangladesh’s independence war,” Faiz said. “Victims deserve justice, but the accused also must have their human rights respected. Imposing the death penalty, which is a human rights violation, is not the answer.”

“The government must not simply use their majority in Parliament to change the law so that they can ask the Supreme Court to impose a death sentence.”

“This is the time for a calm and considered approach to these trials, if they are to bring justice and help ensure redress for the victims of the mass scale human rights violations in 1971. The government must ensure that the ICT maintains its independence and does not come under pressure from the public and the authorities to deliver the verdict that they want.”

Amnesty International has also received disturbing reports that some individuals critical of the ICT have been threatened and may be at risk of retaliatory violence.

“It is absolutely vital that the government ensures that those critical of the ICT are given protection and do not have to fear for their safety simply for exercising their right to freedom of expression,” Faiz said.

“People must be able to express their views about these trials freely and without being subjected to harassment or intimidation, and without fear of retaliation.”

Amnesty International opposes the death penalty in all cases without exception, regardless of the nature or circumstances of the crime, as a violation of the right to life as proclaimed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and as the ultimate cruel, inhuman or degrading punishment.

The International Criminal Court and all other international criminal courts established since 1993 have excluded the death penalty as a sentence for crimes against humanity, war crimes, and genocide.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/bangladesh-resist-pressure-push-death-sentences-war-crimes-tribunal-2013-02-15

That is my personal stand also, stated many times. And stop calling PDF BD members Jamatis. Your post was reported.

Stop trying to silence all anti-Jamat comments on here. There are 10 times more anti-Awami comments on here.

This is what he said:

Dude! UK was saying no capital punishment for BD war criminals not because they love Jamatis but whole of European Countries are against Death Penalty as Public Policy.

He didn't call any PDF member here a Jamati but spoke of Jamatis in general.

Jamat is a party, it exists. We are allowed to criticized it just as when I also criticize the Awami League and their Chatra League thugs.

Stop fighting against freedom of speech.

IF THE WEST WAS AGAINST THE JAMAATIS, ALL THESE MAJOR WESTERN NATIONS WOULDN'T HAVE SPOKEN AGAINST THE JAMAATI TRIAL.

https://twitter.com/davidbangladesh

he is a british jewish journalist who is currently in Bangladesh reporting the trial and the due process. He seems quite against the trial and your definition of 'justice'

IF THE WEST WAS AGAINST THE JAMAATIS, ALL THESE MAJOR WESTERN NATIONS WOULDN'T HAVE SPOKEN AGAINST THE JAMAATI TRIAL.

The key words here are "have spoken" not "are speaking".

You might be right.

I am not sure exactly what is going on but from what I can see it seems like Jamat is going to be a banned illegal organization in Bangladesh and as we can see even here it will hurt the feelings of one or two on this forum, who are of course "not Jamati".

Back
Top Bottom