LKJ86

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
U.S. Senate quietly votes to cut tariffs on hundreds of Chinese goods
By Andy Sullivan
Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - As trade tensions escalate between Washington and Beijing, the U.S. Senate quietly passed legislation on Thursday that would lower trade barriers on hundreds of items made in China.

With no debate, the Senate unanimously passed a bill that would cut or eliminate tariffs on toasters, chemicals and roughly 1,660 other items made outside the United States.

Nearly half of those items are produced in China, according to a Reuters analysis of government records.

The United States and China, the world's two largest economies, are increasingly at loggerheads over trade.

U.S. President Donald Trump has announced a series of punitive tariffs on Chinese imports in a bid to halt a Chinese surge in high-technology industries that threatens to displace U.S. dominance. China has retaliated with its own duties on imports from the United States.

The White House has not publicly taken a position on the so-called miscellaneous tariff bill, which has now passed both the Senate and the House of Representatives unanimously. The two chambers need to resolve minor differences before they can send the legislation to Trump to sign into law.

Supporters of the bill have said it would boost the economy by getting rid of tariffs set up to protect industries that no longer exist in the United States. The National Association of Manufacturers has said U.S. businesses pay $1 million a day on such import duties.

"It makes no sense because it is a direct and punishing tax on making things in America and for creating jobs in America," the trade group's president, Jay Timmons, said in a prepared statement celebrating the bill's passage.

Among the beneficiaries are companies that have moved production offshore.

Hamilton Beach Brands Holding Co <HBB.N>, for example, would pay reduced tariffs on Chinese-made toaster ovens, steam irons and other household appliances it used to make domestically.

Some domestic manufacturers have complained the bill would undercut their business by making it easier for rivals to bring in cheap foreign goods. They said the bill punished smaller firms that lack the ability to defend their interests in Washington.

The version of the bill that passed the House in January included 145 items that are made domestically, according to a Reuters analysis. [L2N1QN00P]

"There's no reason to block opportunity U.S. manufacturers might have for rebuilding our manufacturing base," Michael Korchmar, the head of a family-owned travel goods company in Florida, said in a phone interview earlier this month.

Korchmar earlier this year planned to hire up to 30 workers in his Naples, Florida, factory, but he put those plans on hold after being told by Reuters that the bill would lower tariffs on an insulated food bag that he planned to produce.

Korchmar said he may yet decide to expand production, because Democratic Senator Bill Nelson removed that item from the bill after Reuters wrote about it in March.

"We've got a good shot - we've lost a good bit of time and we have to re-evaluate the market," Korchmar said.

(Reporting by Andy Sullivan; Editing by Peter Cooney)

07/26/2018 19:15

Source:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...fs-on-hundreds-of-chinese-goods-idUSKBN1KG35R

Don't listen to what they say, see what they do. US politicians have a habit of saying something and doing the opposite, check out their election campaigns.

it's called the minimal force principle or 'not over-extending yourself in conflict situations'.

you Chinese really have an ego problem. i haven't seen a single Chinese poster on this forum without that problem.
you also try very transparent and thus foolish false discussion techniques over and over again, assuming somehow that lying and shows of stubborn near-megalomania is going to win you the argument and/or respect. it's doing the opposite, among any of the readers that are even slightly wise.

it's called the minimal force principle or 'not over-extending yourself in conflict situations'.

you Chinese really have an ego problem. i haven't seen a single Chinese poster on this forum without that problem.
you also try very transparent and thus foolish false discussion techniques over and over again, assuming somehow that lying and shows of stubborn near-megalomania is going to win you the argument and/or respect. it's doing the opposite, among any of the readers that are even slightly wise.
Who cares what you think? We are here to spank our enemies not to make you happy.

Who cares what you think? We are here to spank our enemies not to make you happy.
not just megalomaniac then, outright crazy and aggressive. guys like you end up ignored, in the hospital, or in the graveyard. because you give the rest of the world no choice but to deal with you that way.

you're lucky i have the luxury of ignoring your ***.

and that i trust your government to not be nearly as crazy as you are.

bye, have a nice life, and try to ignore me too, or you're going to get your ego smashed to a pulp in public by me.
i have a very low tolerance for your kind of craziness.

not just megalomaniac then, outright crazy and aggressive. guys like you end up ignored, in the hospital, or in the graveyard. because you give the rest of the world no choice but to deal with you that way.

you're lucky i have the luxury of ignoring your ***.

and that i trust your government to not be nearly as crazy as you are.

bye, have a nice life, and try to ignore me too, or you're going to get your ego smashed to a pulp in public by me.
i have a very low tolerance for your kind of craziness.
I see Washington's humbling at the hands of China is driving you up the wall.... :tup:

I see Washington's humbling at the hands of China is driving you up the wall.... :tup:

exaggeration. if you feel it's reason to go have a party about it with people who think like you, go ahead.

for me this whole trade war is something minor and temporary. i knew that from the start of it.

your posturing over the south-china sea, your stated desire to conquer Taiwan combined with the build-up of your navy, that is more important and reason to adjust our own forces' assets to continue to be so sure of victory that actual invasion of Taiwan remains impossible for China.

but truly, you sound like greedy spoiled children thinking you're in command of a rapidly growing army.
you sound like children who assume your government and people support your way of thinking (expansionism, baseless ridiculing of other world powers, etc, etc),
while in reality, fortunately, neither of that is true at all.

Why a Dutch becomes so agitated, what does it have to do with them? US is also picking on Europe.

exaggeration. if you feel it's reason to go have a party about it with people who think like you, go ahead.

for me this whole trade war is something minor and temporary. i knew that from the start of it.

your posturing over the south-china sea, your stated desire to conquer Taiwan combined with the build-up of your navy, that is more important and reason to adjust our own forces' assets to continue to be so sure of victory that actual invasion of Taiwan remains impossible for China.

but truly, you sound like greedy spoiled children thinking you're in command of a rapidly growing army.
you sound like children who assume your government and people support your way of thinking (expansionism, baseless ridiculing of other world powers, etc, etc),
Are you talking about US? international polls show the US being regarded the biggest threat to the world peace.

Why a Dutch becomes so agitated, what does it have to do with them? US is also picking on Europe.
Your buddy here is aggressively expansionist in a way i consider to be as bad as ISIS' attitude.
That's why i'm agitated, but only a little bit by the way.

And allies don't need to always appear to agree with eachother in public. The US have been quietly and patiently nagging about EU defense spending levels for decades, and it's right for them to finally apply some more pressure. That's not bullying, it's legitimate self-defense from stuff your allies refuse to respect as being too damaging for you.

Polls: US Is ‘the Greatest Threat to Peace in the World Today’
https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2017/08/07/polls-us-greatest-threat-to-peace-world-today.html

Why Dutch are not upset about the biggest bully, US, slave mentality?

http://www.pewresearch.org/methodol...ogy/global-attitudes-survey/all-country/2017/

sample size per country is about 1000.

that means for a country, and most countries have millions of citizens, or tens or hundreds of millions or more,
only about 1000 citizens were asked to give their opinion on which those conclusions you blast in large letters are based.
i have to say such a small sample size can never be a true measurement of how the country feels.
and that margin of error that is ony 3.9% they claim, is not related to the entire population, it's related to that very small group of people that they called up.

a more accurate measurement perhaps would be to interview just the entire top of the government and the media editors and journalists and such. the people who determine policy and national opinion.

and we are not the US' slaves in the slightest. what are you doing : misunderstanding, or merely mis-representing the relationship between the US and EU?

LOL just a few weeks ago people were claiming that Trump was going to teach China a lesson with the trade war. Now the US got spanked with tail between legs, the same people claim the trade war is "minor and temporary" :rolleyes:

Just like now you talk big about confronting China but after we start butchering your population you will personally be the first to surrender. Like a little dog barking really loud at a grown man before it gets kicked. This called "cowardice" -- a common trait of your people.

LOL just a few weeks ago people were claiming that Trump was going to teach China a lesson with the trade war. Now the US got spanked with tail between legs, the same people claim the trade war is "minor and temporary" :rolleyes:

Just like now you talk big about confronting China but after we start butchering your population you will personally be the first to surrender. Like a little dog barking really loud at a grown man before it gets kicked. This called "cowardice" -- a common trait of your people.

what you need, is a nice fully padded room (where crazy violent people are kept for a while to teach them the errors of their thinking), and no internet for a while.

you take the posturing you read online and in the news papers, and treat it as reason to publicly threaten other people and even entire nations with death, oppression, war, stuff like that.
fortunately, we over here will not take your statements as the official Chinese government's or military's stance. they have proven themselves a lot more sane than you make yourself appear to us on this forum.

your thinking falls into the psychopath category, dude. and i'm very happy you have only a keyboard at your disposal. one that's not connected to any military hardware.

and one more thing : about your claim people like me are cowards.
far from it. people like me, when you'd try to attack us, would see your attack coming, and very quickly reach the conclusion to either put you in a police cell, hospital, or the morgue, depending on how you attack us physically. if it turns out you can fight well, it's gonna have to be the hospital or the morgue, and trust me, we're more than capable of doing just that, at all times.
and we will make sure we continue to be able to defend ourselves effectively against the likes of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's because the vast majority of them are precisely that. Greedy and spoilt children. A side effect of the one child policy which the Chinese government failed to predict. Most of these posters come from a family where they were the only child and because of that mommy and daddy paid them far too much attention. As a result, you have a bunch of kids who are borderline psychopathic and incapable of critical thought.

One wonders what might happen when these little shits are old enough to run the country. A lot of toys will be thrown out of the pram I think. I personally hope Xi Jinping stays in power for a very long time indeed.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom