What's new

U.S. seeks to defuse spat with India

Nope.
Cash payment by GoI is very less, in most cases below US minimum wage. $9/hr I believe?

GoI compensates by giving a house to stay in, car, driver till the time the official works for GoI.

So, while people in US may find it weird, please understand that paying even US minimum wage to the maid would either take up the depp. consul's entire salary or a major chunk of her salary.

Its the same story for the maid, she would get to stay in the same house, would get a phone, etc, her cash in hand would be way less than US min. wages.

She wasn't paid below minimum wage, especially when you take into consideration all of the benefits and compensation she received. That's besides the point though, I don't really care what her salary is, as that information is irrelevant to the case. The bottom line is that she lied about what she paid the nanny, forged documents, and mistreated her worker.

People in this thread need to get the facts from a reputable news source, not a biased Indian news source.

Read this: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2013/12/19/statement-by-us-attorney-on-indian-diplomat/

then tell me your opinion of my statements. Too many people let emotion sway over objectivity of reality.

She wasn't paid below minimum wage, especially when you take into consideration all of the benefits and compensation she received. That's besides the point though, I don't really care what her salary is, as that information is irrelevant to the case. The bottom line is that she lied about what she paid the nanny, forged documents, and mistreated her worker.

People in this thread need to get the facts from a reputable news source, not a biased Indian news source.

Read this: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2013/12/19/statement-by-us-attorney-on-indian-diplomat/

then tell me your opinion of my statements. Too many people let emotion sway over objectivity of reality.
By the same token, the basis of the case, that the nanny was being paid is less than minimum wage is a false accusation.
The nanny was paid in kind by
1. Boarding and Lodging
2. Food
3. Full Insurance Cover for her and her family
4. Full Medical Cover for any and all medical issues
5. Once a year flight to India and back.

Lastly, she went to US on an Indian govt passport, not the regular Indian passport.

So, while people in US may find it weird, please understand that paying even US minimum wage to the maid would either take up the depp. consul's entire salary or a major chunk of her salary.
Most people in the US find the idea of having maids weird. And if you can't afford to have a maid, don't get a maid. Having a maid is not a human right, it's an obscene luxury

Most people in the US find the idea of having maids weird. And if you can't afford to have a maid, don't get a maid. Having a maid is not a human right, it's an obscene luxury
Because most people in US are not diplomats on a foreign mission who have duties even at odd hours.

US diplomats in India do have maids btw.

And no one has forced the maid to take the job if she didnt want it. The jobs are posted, people apply. She applied and got the job.

Non-cash benefits do not count towards minimum wage in America, so that's irrelevant.
If the US is willing to throw the book at India.
Then India is merely reciprocating.

We are going to the throw the book at US. No special privileges would be granted to US officials in India.
This is not Pakistan or one of the banana republics. Equality and reciprocity is the basis of any diplomatic relationship.

If US chooses to take this further, so would India.

All I can really say to that is "okay, fine, good luck, have fun"

Yeah, states set different minimum wages. $7.25 is the Federal one, which means state minimum wages can go higher but not lower than that. Cities can also declare their own minimum wages. Lucky for your consular official she didn't reside in Seatac, where they just passed a $15 an hour minimum wage law recently

Servant was given a place to stay and food. The cheapest rent in NYC is $2k/month

$2k/ (8 x (7x4 work days)) = $8.93/h

$8.93/h + $3/h = $11.93/h

She pays her above minimum wage.

Servant was given a place to stay and food. The cheapest rent in NYC is $2k/month

$2k/ (8 x (7x4 work days)) = $8.93/h

$8.93/h + $3/h = $11.93/h

She pays her above minimum wage.

Bro thsi is usless argument.. but if you want add following to the table..

$20/d x 30 = 600 / month for food
annual air ticket $2500/12= $208/ month
Full medical insurance approx 300$~$500/ months

it another $7.8/ hour

Again it's useless argument!!

Rent is cheaper than $2,000 a month, and no that doesn't count toward minimum wage, that's not how american labor laws work. New York City has rent control, has housing assistance (state, city, and federal). Poor people exist in NYC, it's not a rich-only enclave. It's a hardscrabble life, but all classes of people can live there.

The Accused Diplomat Devyani Khobragade is Indian. The Victim Nanny Sangeeta Richard is Indian. The Prosecuting US Attorney Pretinder Singh Bharara is Indian-American. These are the Key protagonist of the play.

Larki one - Ameircan
Larki two - American
Larki Three American

This is an Indian Drama being played on Global Stage.

Your meaningless calculations are off, by the way, because wage workers in america are entitled to overtime rate after 40 hours per week. She was probably working longer than 8 hours per day as well. The sad part about all this is that I wish your workers had the same labor protections that ours do. Even more tragic is that our companies exploit your workers by paying them less than they deserve and pretend they're doing you a favor, and use that against us to make us sign away all the protections the generations before us worked hard to gain

They can't arrest her inside the Indian embassy. That would be an act of WAR!
Khobragade is no longer in an Indian embassy or consulate but at India's Permanent U.N. mission. If the Secretary-General refuses her services - a distinct possibility, since she's accused of human trafficking and financial fraud and the paperwork supports it - he can kick her out: it's Indian soil but U.N. property. If she won't leave, the S-G can request local law enforcement - probably the NYPD rather than U.S. marshals - invade the mission to remove her. If anybody in the Indian mission interferes he can fire them. If India objects India can be sanctioned under the Charter -

Yeah, this situation can get worse.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom