What's new

U.S. doesn't expect Pakistan to reopen Afghan war supply routes soon

I have. The futility of the blockade in achieving anything useful for Pakistan internationally still remains the conclusion.

Well I think that some of us will just have to disagree with you Cheng.

It certainly makes some of us feel better.

I have. The futility of the blockade in achieving anything useful for Pakistan internationally still remains the conclusion.

If I put a hat of Pakistani, I think it is achieving lot. Look from some other perspective, someday Pakistan has to say that do not take me for granted, I will not take everything lying down. This is what they are trying to convey.

Well I think that some of us will just have to disagree with you Cheng.

It certainly makes some of us feel better.

Of course I can respect disagreement. Hey, like Sheryl Crow sang: "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad!" :D

If I put a hat of Pakistani, I think it is achieving lot. Look from some other perspective, someday Pakistan has to say that do not take me for granted, I will not take everything lying down. This is what they are trying to convey.

That is only a false sense of achievement that will not last long unless backed by more tangible steps.

That is only a false sense of achievement that will not last long unless backed by more tangible steps.

But then you wouldn't expect the American view to be anything else bit like sour grapes oh dear we have come full circle

The phrase sour grapes is an expression originating from "The Fox and the Grapes," one of Aesop's Fables. It refers to pretending not to care for something one does not or cannot have.

(Today, the term is often used to refer to someone being a "sore loser". As comedian George Carlin noted, however, it only means "rationalization of failure to attain a desired end. ... It doesn't deal with jealousy or sore losing."[1])

Sour grapes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lo and Behold, the people who matter have spoken.

His Royal Highness, subordinate of the heir to the throne of Benazir Bhutto, Ahmed Mukhtar, the defence minister has said that blocking NATO supplies would be against the International law.

Wonder what kind of law is that?

oh dear we have come full circle

Really? Please read below:

Lo and Behold, the people who matter have spoken.

His Royal Highness, subordinate of the heir to the throne of Benazir Bhutto, Ahmed Mukhtar, the defence minister has said that blocking NATO supplies would be against the International law.

Wonder what kind of law is that?

The same law that makes drone strike legal?

Oh no wait, may be that is another law!

Of course I can respect disagreement. Hey, like Sheryl Crow sang: "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad!" :D

I disagree, first it is not achievement. It is setting/re-setting the expectations right. Drawing a line.

Its good that elections are around the corner and none of the parties dare compromise. Funny thing is that they tried to make it easy for Americans all they wanted was a formal apology from America.

Drawing a line in the sand? Yes, I can see that.

If nothing else Pakistan managed to show you and America that routes would not be opened within 30 days. Is it not lovely that American demise is speeded up as it is costing them more through Russian routes. We need to coordinate more with Russians between us and Russians we have Americans by the proverbials in Afghanistan. Oh dear me is Mr Putin not due soon in Islamabad:rofl:

there is news in local media that US find another route .which is same route as pakistani one. guess through which port?chabahar port iran

there is new in local media that US find another route .which is same route as pakistani one. guess through which port?chabahar port iran

Oh Ok add Iranians invite them to Islamabad as well when Putin comes. The problem with American's is that they were never good at geography they think India has a border to Afghanistan but not Russia Iran and Pakistan

American Geography - YouTube

Its good that elections are around the corner and none of the parties dare compromise. Funny thing is that they tried to make it easy for Americans all they wanted was a formal apology from America.

If nothing else Pakistan managed to show you and America that routes would not be opened within 30 days. Is it not lovely that American demise is speeded up as it is costing them more through Russian routes. We need to coordinate more with Russians between us and Russians we have Americans by the proverbials in Afghanistan. Oh dear me is Mr Putin not due soon in Islamabad:rofl:

Ah yes:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...nsify-drone-strikes-pakistan.html#post2906244

PKKH Exclusive | by Shaikh Fahad

Afghan officials from Ministry of Chamber & Commerce speaking on condition of anonymity have said that Afghanistan will be allowed to use Iran’s Chabahar port for shipments and trade after the two countries signed an agreement in Kabul last Wednesday. It has also been learned that the Chabahar port has been financed by Indian government to maintain Iranian and Indian influence in Afghanistan after US forces leave Afghanistan in 2014. The second purpose, we believe of investment in this port is to counter Gwadar port of Pakistan.

The agreement was signed by Afghanistan’s Minister of Commerce and Industries Anwar al Haq Ahady and the Iranian Ambassador to Afghanistan Abolfazl Zohrevand.

The endorsement of the pact means Afghan traders including those directly working with American contracting companies will be able to use the southeastern port – Iran’s only port with direct access to the sea – for importing and exporting goods. The news of signing of this agreement comes as relief to US/NATO official since the closure of NATO supplies from Pakistan has caused massive setback in terms of finance to US/NATO.

Officials said the Chabahar port will help Afghanistan’s trade-related transit problems and is likely to boost commercial transactions.

Ahady said that, according to the agreement, the first step involves building a hub near the port for Afghan traders to have a base for trading from.

The allocation of land is around 50 hectares and he expects traders would be able to use it within a year, he said.

“Through the efforts of the Afghan and Iranian officials, Chabahar as a transit route for Afghanistan has become a reality,” he added.

A panel of officials from Iran who travelled to Afghanistan for the signing of the agreement said that many countries had applied to Chabahar Port for permission to use it, and Afghanistan with the help of Indian Investment had succeeded.

Ambassador Zohrevand welcomed the agreement saying it would help the economic expansion of Afghanistan as the port would provide greater access to Afghanistan into world markets.

“The outcome of this agreement is not only positive for Afghanistan and Iran relations, we also expect it to help the joint cooperation of Afghan and Iran traders so they can expand through cooperation to the Middle East and Asia,” he said.

The agreement eases the pressure on the US-backed Afghan Government to rely on trade routes through Pakistan, as relations between the two countries have witnessed significant restrains in recent months.

It also signals the warming of relations between Iran and Afghanistan. Only last week the pair endorsed an agreement to allow for the transfer of prisoners sentenced in the other’s country to serve their sentence in their native land.

According to some posters here, weren't Iran and Pakistan united against the Great Satan as brothers-in-Islam, or did reality just sink in somewhere?

So Iran must be getting something in exchange for allowing Chah Bahar to be used for ISAF supplies. I wonder how that would affect Pakistan's position going forward?

Back
Top Bottom