U.S. Ambassador presses Belgium for decision by 14 October for f-16 replacement

Cell_DbZ

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Replacing the F-16s: U.S. Ambassador presses for decision by 14 October

4488a9c5781ee9b4acbabaed66db12b0_L.jpg

© Belga

U.S. Ambassador to Belgium Ronald Gidwitz warned on Sunday that Washington might not extend its offer to sell Belgium Lockheed Martin F-35 fighter planes to replace its ageing F-16s indefinitely and without modifying it.
The offer expires on 14 October, the date of Belgium’s municipal elections.

Gidwitz said in an interview with VCT Radio and Belga News Agency that the plan now was to wait until 14 October and see the Belgian Government take the right decision.

He added that if the Belgian Federal Government’s decision is postponed beyond 14 October, he would advise the U.S. Government to extend the offer, but the terms of the offer would probably change.

Gidwitz was speaking on the sidelines of Day Two of Belgian Air Force Days, held at the weekend in the Kleine-Brogel air base in Limburg Province.

Gidwitz said the price could change, delivery dates could be very different and the price could go up while conditions governing training under the accord could also be modified.

Everything would need to be renegotiated, he warned.

Andy Sanchez
The Brussels Times

http://www.brusselstimes.com/belgiu...ambassador-presses-for-decision-by-14-october

America is pissing everyone off...soon no one will buy american weapons
Am sure you speak from extensive personal experience in military affairs. :lol:

What do you think countries that must import their defense do over time? We did not force your Pakistan to buy the F-16, did we? But why did Pakistan chose the F-16? Same question can be applied to Belgium or to any country that must buy their defense hardware.

As for the seller, the laws of manufacturing and of supply and demand rules. If the product have multiple clients, one client cannot hem and haw over a purchase contract, expect the manufacturer to hold his lines just for him, and expect the prices and delivery to be the same.

Do not buy US defense hardware. Take your chances. :enjoy:

Am sure you speak from extensive personal experience in military affairs. :lol:

What do you think countries that must import their defense do over time? We did not force your Pakistan to buy the F-16, did we? But why did Pakistan chose the F-16? Same question can be applied to Belgium or to any country that must buy their defense hardware.

As for the seller, the laws of manufacturing and of supply and demand rules. If the product have multiple clients, one client cannot hem and haw over a purchase contract, expect the manufacturer to hold his lines just for him, and expect the prices and delivery to be the same.

Do not buy US defense hardware. Take your chances. :enjoy:
Why r u using the term 'we'.

U r an indian who defecates in the open. Next time think before abusing

America is pissing everyone off...soon no one will buy american weapons
Your comment in poor taste. This is the problem:

"The US ambassador to Belgium has revealed that the current pricing quote for the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter is only valid until mid-October, with an extension on the offer under the initially proposed conditions not an option."

Source: https://www.janes.com/article/82927/us-pushes-for-belgian-fighter-decision

In the world of business - no such thing as compromises for friends; only terms and conditions, and the need to honor them. Supply - Demand dynamics taken into account and potential losses to be avoided.

Try dealing with the Chinese and you will know.

Your comment in poor taste. This is the problem:

"The US ambassador to Belgium has revealed that the current pricing quote for the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter is only valid until mid-October, with an extension on the offer under the initially proposed conditions not an option."

Source: https://www.janes.com/article/82927/us-pushes-for-belgian-fighter-decision

In the world of business - no such thing as compromises for friends; only terms and conditions, and the need to honor them. Supply - Demand dynamics taken into account.

Try dealing with the Chinese and you will know.
My dear clearly you havrnt done business because if you had you wouldnt be talking from the sellers perspective. A deal is knly achieved when both parties are happy and have mutual ground. Its irrelevant what your uncle sam says if belgium isnt ready and not willi g to pay the price america wont get a sale. Fact is america is bullying nations into buying and the french and germans are realising this hence the 6th gen franco german aircraft with other nations sure to follow.
Regarding poor taste ... well some men like fat women other like skinny. Each had his pwn taste. Have a good day

My dear clearly you havrnt done business because if you had you wouldnt be talking from the sellers perspective. A deal is knly achieved when both parties are happy and have mutual ground. Its irrelevant what your uncle sam says if belgium isnt ready and not willi g to pay the price america wont get a sale. Fact is america is bullying nations into buying and the french and germans are realising this hence the 6th gen franco german aircraft with other nations sure to follow.
Regarding poor taste ... well some men like fat women other like skinny. Each had his pwn taste. Have a good day
Bro,

I have experiencing in retailing. Yes, a deal is achieved with mutual consent but their are "calculations involved."

Suppose that Belgium and US negotiated a deal for the supply of F-35 aircraft. The negotiated price would be valid up to a certain amount of time. If Belgium is unable to live up to its side of bargain under the specified time period, then US has every right to remind Belgium accordingly and/or renegotiate the deal.

Not my Uncle Sam. If Pakistan was in the shoes of US in this case, my stance would have been the same.

You are quick to pass verdicts. Admit that your response was in poor taste.

Bro,

I have experiencing in retailing. Yes, a deal is achieved with mutual consent but their are "calculations involved."

Suppose that Belgium and US negotiated a deal for the supply of F-35 aircraft. The negotiated price would be valid up to a certain amount of time. If Belgium is unable to live up to its side of bargain under the specified time period, then US has every right to remind Belgium accordingly and/or renegotiate the deal.

Not my Uncle Sam. If Pakistan was in the shoes of US in this case, my stance would have been the same.

You are quick to pass verdicts. Admit that your response was in poor taste.
No my response wasnt poor. Your taste is poor perhaps. As i pointed out some like fat ladies and others prefer slim.
America tries to bully nations into buying stuff. Its creating hurdles and regardless of what people say its america that has to sell and belgium can always not buy as it has no real enemies. You were in retail so u underatand that you cant force people to buy with deadlines it doesnt work. Additionally the belgian elections. Poor timing by america.

I think Belgium can buy Rafale
We hace issued a tender and the French failed to make an offer within the tender, so their chances would be lower.
The Rafale has some political support, so they aren't completely out yet.
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2017/10/04/new_fighter_jet_probablywontbefrench-1-3077840/

or Typhoon
Still a good option, not much political support as far as I am aware.

or better yet Gripen
Gripen has withdrawn a long time ago. This is due to Sweden fearing the support Belgium demands would break their neutrality and Sweden not being able to meet Belgian demands anyways.
http://www.brusselstimes.com/belgiu...-tendering-to-succeed-f-16-with-saab-gripen-e

F-35 is too ugly and too expensive.
The buying price isn't that expensive, not costing much more than either the Rafale or Typhoon. It's the operating costs that worries people, however the F-35 is considered to be in our budget. This does not deny the fact that the cost is uncertain.
Also some lingering issues have to be worked out.
People are very divided on the F-35.
http://www.brusselstimes.com/busine...-35s-cost-almost-2-billion-more-than-expected

Last edited:
I think Europeans should buy European planes. Belgium being a small country is suitable for Gripen. Not so expensive to buy and service.

We hace issued a tender and the French failed to make an offer within the tender, so their chances would be lower.
The Rafale has some political support, so they aren't completely out yet.
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2017/10/04/new_fighter_jet_probablywontbefrench-1-3077840/

Still a good option, not much political support as far as I am aware.

Gripen has withdrawn a long time ago. This is due to Sweden fearing the support Belgium demands would break their neutrality and Sweden not being able to meet Belgian demands anyways.
http://www.brusselstimes.com/belgiu...-tendering-to-succeed-f-16-with-saab-gripen-e

The buying price isn't that expensive, not costing much more than either the Rafale or Typhoon. It's the operating costs that worries people, however the F-35 is considered to be in our budget. This does not deny the fact that the cost is uncertain.
Also some lingering issues have to be worked out.
People are very divided on the F-35.
http://www.brusselstimes.com/busine...-35s-cost-almost-2-billion-more-than-expected

Super Hornet + F35 .

I believe that's the configuration most NATO countries will end up with.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom