What's new

Type 055 DDG News & Discussions

Agree with your point.

My two cents:

What's Pakistan Navy strategic and doctrine? Weapons are the tools work for strategy and doctrine.

Pakistan navy opposing force is India Air Force and India Navy. But Pakistan major threat is not from the sea, it's from the land, the east side.

At this stage, Pakistan Navy is designed to help Pakistan Air Force and Army to protect seacoast, push India submarine and Air Force further from seacoast.

The destroyer is designed to protect major navy assets in the open ocean, such as aircraft carriers. Aircraft carrier is not Pakistan navy priority in the near future.

On the other hand, Pakistan Air Force can do almost all the job of destroyer along seacoast. Land based anti-submarine aircraft, land based anti-ship missiles, land based surface-to-air missiles are much more cost-effective than destroyer, much more robust.

In summery, Pakistan Air Force is the major force to protect Pakistan East side and seacoast. While navy is complement, secondary at this stage.

Pakistan use budget smarter than India, and much more cautious.

That's exactly what Pakistan armed forces and strategic command is doing and should be doing. Our (Pdf enthusiasts) love for 052D should not change our doctrine. We have multiple airbases along our coast line. We have land based anti-ship missiles on our coast. We have FAC's armed with 200+ km Anti ship missiles. So yah, in war or peace, the true objective of Pakistan navy is to avoid blockade, prevent damage to coastal infrastructure and cause severe damage to attacking Indian navy ships. And this can be achieved by land based systems along small tonnage ships (2000-3500 ton).

destroyer is designed to protect major navy assets in the open ocean
Open ocean is the key word, that's what assets like 052D destroyers were designed for: Combat in "blue waters".

Putting aside strategic defense roles (BMD/ASAT) of 055, most destroyers are centered around building theater AD for blue water fleets.

When it comes to PN doctrine, it's more about coastal defence at least in older days, so smaller warships operating within combat radius of land-based forces are adequate. But there is quite a change to that doctrine in recent years, it includes building a sea-based second strike capability (with S20 operating within CM range to coast/inland targets). This game changing factor along with Pakistan's gradually expanding trade/maritime economic interests require PN to push further away from shore. PN will need larger warships, but will still safely operate within combat radius of an "extended range" land-based forces. Before PN doctrine change to "blue water", I think PN will focus on building a balanced/comprehensive force structure that can win a war in waters within CM range from shore.

Last edited:
H/PJ−45 130mm naval gun

1.jpg

That's great, we need to fan out our sea-based BMD/ASAT network to intercept incoming Trident and to deal with sats.

I am also hoping the second batch of the Type 055 could be increase its VLS from 112 to 128, and also upgrade its 135 mm deck gun to 155 mm.

Maybe the third batch of the Type 055 will be equipped with the railgun and laser.

I am hoping the second batch of the Type 055 could be increase its VLS from 112 to 128, and also upgrade its 135 mm deck gun to 155 mm.
Sure bro the more the better! But our UVLS silos are 850x850 (max canister width) which is significantly larger than MK41 (even Mk57) so it's quite a different beast. Also our silo depth "strike" version is 9m, that allow our ships to deploy very large missiles, and capable of targeting long ranges as well as high altitudes (say exoatmospheric). From that perspective 64 front + 48 aft is already a formidable pack of firepower.

I guess hardware architecture of batch 1 is already well-balanced, even our adversary is ...

But of course I'll love to see continuous improvements in batch 2, especially on software and electronics in order to bring 346B (maybe called 346C) to a new level. Unlike our adversary we don't operate something like SBX-1 (nor do we have Alaska), which in my opinion is a bit clumsy, slow in tactical maneuver and perhaps outdated in electronics (deployed in 2006), but still an excellent concept nonetheless. It'll be perfect if it's more compact (with modernized electronics) and integrated on a 30+ knots platform with self-sufficient powerplant for 24/7 operation, like 055.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Sure bro the more the better! But our UVLS silos are 850x850 (max canister width) which is significantly larger than MK41 (even Mk57) so it's quite a different beast. Also our silo depth "strike" version is 9m, that allow our ships to deploy very large missiles, and capable of targeting long ranges as well as high altitudes (say exoatmospheric). From that perspective 64 front + 48 aft is already a formidable pack of firepower.

I guess hardware architecture of batch 1 is already good, so good that even our adversary is ...

But of course I'll love to see continuous improvements in batch 2, especially on software and electronics in order to bring 346B (maybe called 346C) to a new level. Unlike our adversary we don't operate something like SBX-1 (nor do we have Alaska), which in my opinion is a bit clumsy, slow in tactical maneuver and perhaps outdated in electronics (deployed in 2006), but still a good concept nonetheless. It'll be perfect if it's more compact (with modernized electronics) and integrated on a 30+ knots platform with self-sufficient powerplant for 24/7 operation, like 055.

View attachment 812225

We need to always remain "料敌从宽", even though the US has become much weaker than before.

The complacency is always the biggest weakness for the US, and we won't repeat the same mistake.

My hope for next major upgrades for 055:

- New dual band AESA (I want to see L + X band rather than S + C band currently)
- All electric propulsion
- Laser weapons
- Increase VLS to 128
- Chinese version of ESSM (Triple "5" - Mach 5, 50G, 50KM)
- Anti-ballistic missile capabilities
- Naval Z-20 helicopters
- Further optimized stealth shaping (main gun, sensor antennas etc)

Back
Top Bottom