What's new

Type 052D DDG News & Discussions

There already exists an improved type 052D

I am waiting for the Ballistic Air Defense Missiles on the 055s and perhaps on the 052s. That would be the 052E. The ADS is the HQ-26.

You wont called a new class for additional 3 meters

But by having an additional 3 meters actually has already has put her into a different class to the previous 052D. Because she's no longer the same class as the previous 052D. Plus, the 052D has already has the best technology that China can have today. And the gap between China and US are also narrowed. So, when you have already have the best today, it is more and more difficult to leap forward again.

Plus, they have already have 055.

But by having an additional 3 meters actually has already has put her into a different class to the previous 052D. Because she's no longer the same class as the previous 052D. Plus, the 052D has already has the best technology that China can have today. And the gap between China and US are also narrowed. So, when you have already have the best today, it is more and more difficult to leap forward again.

Plus, they have already have 055.

I hope 52d radar is better than AMDR, plus r&d is a continous process.
Also burke has 96 cells vs 64 for 52d.

Whether there will be a new class to replace type 052D or rather the latest variant 052DG is a bit premature. The first 052D was commissioned only 5 years ago, and the first 052DG is not yet in service. Construction of type 052DG or newer variants will continue to around 2024/2025.

052DG has lengthened stern helicopter deck, and new anti-stealth radar. There are some upgrade in sensors not readily visible on the outside.

If there is a class of successor to type 052DG, it will be a completely new design with larger displacement and new futuristic weapons (laser/rail gun), new sensors and new propulsion system ( all electric?), and probably appear around 2030.

Meanwhile type 055 will continue to be built, rumour has it that the orders from PLAN has increased to 12 ships, up from original 8 ships.

Personally, I would like to see a future PLAN fleet make up of >10,000 tons destroyers, >6,000 tons frigates and >2,500 tons corvettes, which mean there will be no new DDG in same weight class as type 052D. But that is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
when ever analysts (both pro China & China haters) try to speculate on how the PLAN will look in the future, they always give extremely conservative estimates & significantly underesitimate the ambitions of the PLAN, for example around 6 year ago or so most people said that the PLAN will make do with around 12 type 052D DDGs within this decade but fast forward to 2019 & now there are 20 052Ds in the water & 4 more under construction, they always want to bet safe so when they look at the USN they say "no way the PLAN actually wants to match that", and to this day some people still think that frigates & those midget corvettes will forever remain the work horse of the PLAN, for them the idea that the PLAN will aquire a large enough number of DDGs so that the DDGs become the work horse of the PLAN is just unthinkable, but the thing is... guys we are already here, there are already 30 modern DDGs in the water (052C, 052D, 055), it will only take a maximum of 2 years for all those 30 DDGs to be in service and in the very near future the number of DDGs will exceed the number of FFGs & the gap will widen regardless of wether the production of FFGs will resume or not, so regardless of wether the PLAN continues to produce DDGs in the 7.5k ton & 10k ton simultaniously or just make do with having nothing but 055s one thing remains for sure.. in the near future the role of the FFG & the corvette as the work horse of the PLAN will fade in to irrelevance & the DDGs will fill that role, when I say DDGs will replace the FFGs as the "work horse" I mean that in the next 5 years the main enemy of those Somali pirates won't be the type 054A, 054B but it will be the type 052D & the 055.

img-de5a7b1984d0f656886b1813ebd79827.jpg
img-e42930c3abd8e75a2240435576dd6caa.jpg
img-36265ee77b2f3653e8df9aa4ac43bcb0.jpg

Whether there will be a new class to replace type 052D or rather the latest variant 052DG is a bit premature. The first 052D was commissioned only 5 years ago, and the first 052DG is not yet in service. Construction of type 052DG or newer variants will continue to around 2024/2025.

How you think 052E which alot rumors about it for next upgrade replace 052D ...
For me i think design new replace 054 class more urgent... best upgrade to around 5000 tons

How you think 052E which alot rumors about it for next upgrade replace 052D ...
For me i think design new replace 054 class more urgent... best upgrade to around 5000 tons
Frigate building programme for PLAN is largely completed with 30 type 054A built. There is also large number of type 056/056A. In total there are nearly 100 type 054A and type 056/056A plus old 053s.

The next new generation frigate design most likely would appear just before the first type 054 is due to be retired, probably around 15 years from now, or 10 years from now at best. (The first type 054 entered service in 2005).

There are around 19 type 053H1/H1G/H3 frigates still in service but they will not be replaced by addition FFG orders as the present numbers of modern FFG/corvette are sufficient.

While no new next generation FFG is expected in about 10-15 years, new variants of destroyers with laser/rail guns will be built. Evolved improvements on the 052DG will continue, will these new ships (after 052DG) be called 052E is doubtful unless they change to all electric power propulsion, or if there is significant changes to warrant a new designation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom