Turning Agni 3 into Agni 5 : A Speculation

what is the range of Agni 5?

• Total voters
Agni 3

Specifications
Weight 48,000 kg[3]
Length 17 m[4]
Diameter 2.0 m[4]
Warhead Strategic nuclear (~15 KT to ~250 KT[~2,000Kg-~2,500Kg]), conventional, Thermobaric
Engine Two stage solid propellant engine
Operational
range 3,500 km - 5,000 km [6]

Agni 5

Specifications
Weight 50,000 kg[3]
Length 17.5 m [4]
Diameter 2 m
Engine Three stage solid
Operational
range 5,000 km[4][5]

guys in this thread i will try to speculate that can Agni 3 be turned into Agni 5.

its given that Agni 3 can carry weight of 2000 to 2500 Kg.

lets assume it's throw weight is 2000 Kg.

if the payload is reduced range increases.

so if Agni 3's payload is reduced by 500 kg its range will increase by 600 to 700 Km.

DRDO has claimed that it has developed a technology that reduces drag hence range of missile can be increased up to 40%.

Agni 5 has 3rd stage which will increase range by (speculation) by at least 500 Km.

hence applying things above mentioned and with tech used to make missile Cansister capable , Agni 3 can be turned into Agni 5.

NOTE> this thread is result of my speculation.

i have used wiki as source for some facts.

Sirjee, you are not correct in this regard, although there are many similarities between agni3 and agni 4 , 5 ... they are not the same ones. By that method, a missile with a 2 kg nuclear payload can have increased range. The technologies applied are new ones too. For example, they were talking about using better guidance systems that can help the missile hit the target in +/- 40 m range, this , so far is the most accurate range possible for a missile, hence the need to use kilotons (kT) instead of MT (megatons).

sources tell that Agni 5's second stage is modified.

perhaps it is shortened and modified to increase range.

i say so because Agni 3's length is 17 meters and length of Agni 5 is 17.5 meters and third stage cant be just 0.5 meters long.

so in my opinion DRDO modified and shortened second stage and it resulted in 15 meter long Agni 3.

then they added 2.5 meter long third stage with 700 to 800 Km range.

they also used their Drag reducing technology which even reasonably successful will increase rang of Agni 5 by 700 to 800 Km.

so with above modifications i speculated Agni 5 can easily heat 5000 KM without reducing payload i.e it can also carry 1500 Kg payload like Agni 3.

In May 2008 Indian scientists announced they had developed and patented a path-breaking technology that increases the range of missiles and satellite launch vehicles by at least 40%.[25] The enhanced range is made possible by adding a special-purpose coating of chromium based material to a rocket's blunt nose cone. The material acts as a reactive-ablative coating that forms a thin low density gaseous layer at the tip of the rocket as it approaches hypersonic speeds; this super-heated gas layer reduces drag by 47% (at mach 7-8), thereby allowing range enhancements at least 40%.[26][27] It has been announced that this technology will be incorporated in future Agni deployments after having undergone ranging and calibration tests.

Agni (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reducing weight makes sense only if the yield of the warhead is not affected.

Two solutions:

either miniaturize the warhead with the same yield. (make 200kg 15kT warhead to 100 kg with same 15kT yield.)

Or increase the range using high potential fuel or adding an extra stage.

read post number 18

my final speculation

DRDO modified and shortened second stage of Agni 3 and it resulted in 15 meter long Agni 3.

then they added 2.5 meter long third stage with 700 to 800 Km range.

and they reduced payload by 300 which increased range by 700 to 900 Km

Result> Agni 5 with 5000 Km range and 1200 Kg payload.

and if we further reduce payload by 200 Kg Agni 5's range will be 6000 Km....... making it ICBM :cheers:

read post number 18

thank you but I think, that chromium based coating is well in all Agni's produced after 2008. Agni 2 , 3 and 4. In addition to this chromium based coating, what else can be done to increase the range and miniaturize the missile.

thank you but I think, that chromium based coating is well in all Agni's produced after 2008. Agni 2 , 3 and 4. In addition to this chromium based coating, what else can be done to increase the range and miniaturize the missile.
Using better and lighter computing technology on the missile to cut down on the load that comes from wires and on board computers. Research on lighter materials that make up the missile, and research into the fuel options. I highly think that the ISRO should be pulled in to the development of our future missiles.

by the way when AGNI-5 is going to be tested last news was that it will be in feb but now its looks like highly unlikely.... will it be in march ?

Using better and lighter computing technology on the missile to cut down on the load that comes from wires and on board computers. Research on lighter materials that make up the missile, and research into the fuel options. I highly think that the ISRO should be pulled in to the development of our future missiles.

it would take a lot of political and diplomatic effort to bring ISRO into weapon development projects. ISRO is purely aiming for its business in the international market. Till then DRDO has to work on its own.

A Deliverable nuclear warhead section consists of the

Warhead+Electronics+Guidance+Propulsion for initial maneuverability+Decoys.
All of this make up the total warhead section weight which will be carried by the missile.

Indian nuclear warhead weight

Based on 1974 test design:-

12kt Fission=500kg-700kg (Carriers-AGNI I,AGNI 2,PRITHVI-1,2)

200kt Boosted Fission=800kg-1000kg (Carriers-AGNI I,AGNI 2,PRITHVI-1,2)

Based on 1998 test design:-

20kt Fission=250kg-450kg (Carriers-AGNI III,AGNI V,SAURYA)

20kt Boosted Fission=100kg-300kg (Carriers-AGNI III,AGNI V,SAURYA)

50kt Boosted Fission=300kg-500kg (Carriers-AGNI III,AGNI V,SAURYA)

150kt Boosted Fission=450kg-650kg (Carriers-AGNI III,AGNI V,SAURYA)

200kt Thermo Nuclear=300kg-500kg (Carriers-AGNI III,AGNI V,SAURYA)

Are we still debating the range of Agni series...? Agni-V's real range will never be disclosed in the public and the range will always be reported as 5500 Km. just like Brahmos Blk-3's range is 290 Km....

Range of agni-3 and shaurya with 300kg-500kg 50kt Boosted Fission Warhead will be Approximately

AGNI III=6,500 km-7,500 km

shaurya=750 km -1,000 km

but as i have stated earlier in my above post a Deliverable nuclear warhead has more ad-ons that just the nuclear warhead which will increase the weight of the warhead when deployed on a missile.

Are we still debating the range of Agni series...? Agni-V's real range will never be disclosed in the public and the range will always be reported as 5500 Km. just like Brahmos Blk-3's range is 290 Km....

Accepted.

Regarding Brahmos, no doubt it is one of the most capable platforms but 290 kms is just too less. A brahmos with higher range is absolutely possible more so after we tested Shaurya. And the only reason IA is ordering like 1000 of these missiles is because it has a higher range than just 290kms. ( for blk-III )

If western border is our only concern then 290 kms may make sense but when it comes to our North-east, with 1000 kms of land buffer in the form of tibet, it makes no sense to raise 3 regiments of brahmos in NE without a range which is more than 300KMs.

I am sure only after comprehensibly testing the extended range of Brahmos with steep dive mode, it has decided to station them on our NE borders.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom