What's new

Turkish Small Arms Industry | Updates and Discussions

Last edited:
Apparently the Ata Arms ASR is multi caliber now and is able to fire .338 Lapua as well.

vcmrjzux.png

72b2raqj.jpg

Modern Machine Gun (MMT)

IMG_8005.JPG

By Anıl ŞAHİN - March 7th, 2019

The Modern Machine Gun (MMT), developed by the Machinery and Chemical Industry Corporation (MKE) through the experience gained from the Modern Infantry Rifle (MPT) project, will replace the PKM (Bixi) machine gun in the use of security forces. Modern Machine Gun (MMT) will be presented for the first time at IDEF-2019 Defense Industry Fair.

Technicial Specifications:

Working Principle: Gas Piston
Distribution: 8 MOA (9/10)
Shooting Time (Continuous): 750 Rounds per minute
Ignition Sensitivity: 15-30 Newton
Feeding System: Belt-fed
Effective Range: 1000 m
Barrel Length: 604 mm
Length: 1200 mm
Caliber: 7.62 × 51 mm NATO
Initial Speed: 840 m / s
Weight: 8000 gr
Source: DefenseSanayiST.com

Last edited:
Modern Machine Gun (MMT)

View attachment 544870

The Modern Machine Gun (MMT), developed by the Machinery and Chemical Industry Corporation (MKE) through the experience gained from the Modern Infantry Rifle (MPT) project, will replace the PKM (Bixi) machine gun in the use of security forces. Modern Machine Gun (MMT) will be presented for the first time at IDEF-2019 Defense Industry Fair.

Please don't call PKM as bixi. Outrageous name

So if they start producing locally, do we get profit for every rifle made? Or just by selling the license?

Modern Machine Gun (MMT)

View attachment 544870

If you remember from before I was very pleased that MKEK were copying the PKM for the design. It is easily the best GPMG around. Everything from weight and a very important factor - centre of gravity were far superior than the FN MAG / M240.

I was also disssapointed when it seemed that MKEK were dropping the PKM design and were going for a copy of the FN MAG. Horrible move. But going by the picture above that @Hexciter posted - it seems that the PKM version is going ahead. Which would be fantastic news. Its actaully difficult to describe in words how much better the PKM is over the FN MAG/ M240 / MG3.

But the technical specificaiton that @Hexciter posted are what caught my eye. It seems that the weapon is exactly in the middle of both PKM and the FN MAG - see my table below. If this is true - I certainly hope they copied the PKMs centre of gravity design at least. Very promising to see weight is close to PKM.

EDIT:Sorry table might not work.

Attachments

• PKM_FNMAG_MMT.jpg
    PKM_FNMAG_MMT.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 72
If you remember from before I was very pleased that MKEK were copying the PKM for the design. It is easily the best GPMG around. Everything from weight and a very important factor - centre of gravity were far superior than the FN MAG / M240.

I was also disssapointed when it seemed that MKEK were dropping the PKM design and were going for a copy of the FN MAG. Horrible move. But going by the picture above that @Hexciter posted - it seems that the PKM version is going ahead. Which would be fantastic news. Its actaully difficult to describe in words how much better the PKM is over the FN MAG/ M240 / MG3.

But the technical specificaiton that @Hexciter posted are what caught my eye. It seems that the weapon is exactly in the middle of both PKM and the FN MAG - see my table below. If this is true - I certainly hope they copied the PKMs centre of gravity design at least. Very promising to see weight is close to PKM.

From the looks,it doesn't seem like it has a lot of common with FN MAG the charging handle actually seems like the one found on HK MG 5.
Some of the stats you provided on MMT are also different than the ones on MKE website which claimes rate of fire 750 rpm(identical to chinese and yugo PKM versions).
I fully agree that going with the PKM design is the right step,it's just the best machine gun in the world,which makes me wonder why does MKEK also plan production of FN MAG?

Last edited:

In IDEF 2019, MKE will present 2 machine guns in 7,62x51mm. One is PMT (Infantryman machinegun) and MMT (Modern machine gun). I’m expecting that PMT is ‘PKM’ish one and MMT is ‘MAG’ish one which more specific for static and on vehicle uses hence it has reported weight of 12,5kg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom