• I agree but,....

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don't agree

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Erdogan says wants intelligence under his control, military to report to defence minister
2016-07-31 00:34:59 GMT2016-07-31 08:34:59(Beijing Time) Xinhua English
ANKARA, July 30 (Xinhua) -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced on Saturday that intelligence agency will be under his control and military commanders will report to the defense minister, local ATV reported.

Speaking in an interview with ATV and A Haber channels, Erdogan said the moves aim to bring the Turkish military under civilian control after the failed coup attempt.

Meanwhile, Turkish military academies would be shut down and replaced by national defense universities, the president said, adding that students from all schools will be able to enter cadet schools.

Erdogan noted that the country's military chief of staff and the intelligence agency will be under control of the president if parliament passes a constitutional package.

Additionally, all military hospitals will go under the Ministry of Health.

He said Turkey will also reduce the size of gendarmerie by number of personnel, but will be stronger in terms of weaponry.

The president criticized the indifference of world powers to Turkish people's commitment to protecting democracy, saying countries have not sent any official to see the situation in Turkey, but chosen to express "concern" after the coup attempt.

Erdogan said Turkey has demanded the extradition of Fethullah Gulen, accused of conducting the July 15 coup attempt, but the U.S. refused the request.

Turkey will continue to identify Gulenists within the military, police and judiciary, he added, saying a total of 10,137 suspects involved in the coup attempt have been arrested so far.

http://english.sina.com/news/2016-07-31/detail-ifxunzmt1921712.shtml

Army needed a restructuring.

Considering that they army didn't do anything during balyoz and everything else, I highly doubt they need restructuring now.

The only excuse to do so is to consolidate power to RTE, and that is a great way of crippling our nation. Just like how we lost ww1 because the fucking sultan got caught. Now RTE is doing everything he can to make everything dependant on him and AKP.

Considering that they army didn't do anything during balyoz and everything else, I highly doubt they need restructuring now.

The only excuse to do so is to consolidate power to RTE, and that is a great way of crippling our nation. Just like how we lost ww1 because the fucking sultan got caught. Now RTE is doing everything he can to make everything dependant on him and AKP.
I'm paying attention to the fact that our military is now fully under civilian control...as it is in all NATO countries and as it should be in ours. Furthermore there is now a transition period to fully professional military. Obviously I get your point and I do share your concerns (Balyoz and Ergenkon) but I have to say I am pleased that our military is being restructured...the system was old and inefficient. I disagree that RTE is doing what you say, if you pay attention you will realise that now the force commanders report directly to the MoD, the intelligence is tied or will be tied to the President, and that training for officers will be given at dedicated, higher education institutions. Do you not think that it's good our military is being bought up to NATO standards? I am no fan of RTE but I agree that the military blue print has to be redrawn.

I can understand to closing Military High Schools. But Harp Akademis ? Why.. They just need reform.

I'm paying attention to the fact that our military is now fully under civilian control...as it is in all NATO countries and as it should be in ours. Furthermore there is now a transition period to fully professional military. Obviously I get your point and I do share your concerns (Balyoz and Ergenkon) but I have to say I am pleased that our military is being restructured...the system was old and inefficient. I disagree that RTE is doing what you say, if you pay attention you will realise that now the force commanders report directly to the MoD, the intelligence is tied or will be tied to the President, and that training for officers will be given at dedicated, higher education institutions. Do you not think that it's good our military is being bought up to NATO standards? I am no fan of RTE but I agree that the military blue print has to be redrawn.

If it is as you say then I'll be glad, but the military schools in different locations aren't a weakness, I read that they want to open a military university... I don't quite get that one to be honest I thought military schools were sufficient, you wanna give a soldier a bachlors degree in warfare ?

If it is as you say then I'll be glad, but the military schools in different locations aren't a weakness, I read that they want to open a military university... I don't quite get that one to be honest I thought military schools were sufficient, you wanna give a soldier a bachlors degree in warfare ?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Military_Academy
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Naval_Academy
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Academy

Of course the locations are different in the US. But when you look at the education they get I'd it is a good thing if the government makes a serious and committed effort to produce some sort of military educational blueprint the US has. Whether all force officers will be trained in one location I do not know. My guess is the current academies will serve as "branches" under the umbrella of " National Defense University" (kind of like how some university's departments are located in different places but are operated under the same name). Let's see what happens, but I am hopeful that if this process is done carefully and professionally , it will fine tune our military.

Syria is important trade highway to reach other oil-rich states, also i dislike Iran's regime, they should adopt Secularism (together with Saudi Arabia) and stop supporting Hezbollah terror organisation before any strategic alliance.

In my opinion Turkey cannot fix Middle East by itself in this situation. Other neighboor states should some action against Terror organisations. They should understand ISIS is not only terrorist group in Middle East. "My terrorist group is good, yours is bad" mentallity should be removed.

Turkey says to back away from EU migrant deal if no visa-free travel

Turkey would have to back out of its agreement with the European Union to stem the flow of migrants into the bloc if the EU does not deliver visa-free travel for Turks, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has said.

Visa-free access to the EU - the main reward for Ankara's collaboration in choking off an influx of migrants into Europe - has been subject to delays due to a dispute over Turkish anti-terrorism legislation and Ankara's crackdown after a failed coup.

Cavusoglu told Germany's daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung the agreement on stemming the refugee flow had worked because of "very serious measures" taken by Ankara.

"But all that is dependent on the cancellation of the visa requirement for our citizens, which is also an item in the agreement of March 18," Cavusoglu said in a release in advance of comments to be published in the newspaper's Monday edition."If visa liberalization does not follow, we will be forced to back away from the deal on taking back (refugees) and the agreement of March 18," he said, adding that the Turkish government was waiting for a precise date for visa liberalization.

"It could be the beginning or middle of October - but we are waiting for a firm date."

European Commissioner Guenther Oettinger said recently he did not see the EU granting Turks visa-free travel this year due to Ankara's crackdown after the failed military coup in mid-July.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-eu-travel-idUSKCN10B0SK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally our politicians are finding their balls. Now deliver

Back
Top Bottom