• I agree but,....

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don't agree

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it will boil down to: Give us Gulen/Or Put him Jail VS. Get the **** out of Incirlik

Coup planner had no other alternative to throw Erdogan but plan and go with limited manpower and resources. That is not a rocket science to understand. Anyone aware of reality in Turkey knows it. But your line of questions are only novice will pose not a military man who has at least some level of strategic understanding. Besides, looks like for "coup" you have a very scripted plot, action and consequences in your mind. But you utterly failed to realize every situation is not to be run according to script in your mind.

Explain to me how the planner "Had no other alternative to throw Erdogan but plan and go with limited manpower and resource?"

The objective of a coup is to topple over a regime, and if what you get is you have minimal support and he still continue with the coup? How's that achieving their objective??

I mean, if you think what I ask is a "Novice" and not of a military man at all. Then you should have a better reason that I can think of.

It is not a script, it is common sense, if I know I have little or no chance of success, a normal person will not go ahead with its "Plans". So, do tell me the reason why these planner have to do so, even they themselves understood that they have little or no support.

Oh well, as I said in my post earlier,

Either this have government behind this, or the people who start this is stupid enough to think they can win without actually trying to win it.......

Either way, I am just trying to make sense of what happen.

Let me simple it down...

They first tried to get the control of the military then tried to get the control of he country....

Couping faction had a chance....but they failed to completely controlling the military.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm seeing new footage eveyday;

IFV running down a man.

Couping Faction raiding TRT (State Tv)

Tranlation:

Soldier: Turkish Armed Forces has took control of the management of the country. If you show resistance, i will shoot, i won't repeat it again. Everybody understood ?
Woman: Can i ask a question.
Soldier: No, you can't.

Let me simple it down...

They first tried to get the control of the military then tried to get the control of he country....

Couping faction had a chance....but they failed to completely controlling the military.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm seeing new footage eveyday;

IFV running down a man.

Couping Faction raiding TRT (State Tv)

Tranlation:

Soldier: Turkish Armed Forces has took control of the management of the country. If you show resistance, i will shoot, i won't repeat it again. Everybody understood ?
Woman: Can i ask a question.
Soldier: No, you can't.

For me, they don't seems to have a chance to begin with........Not that many in the military are loyal to the rebel fraction, don't forget, they did took control of the Media Outlet and a call of arms were issued but basically none came.

problem is, from where I am sitting, I would not have go ahead with the coup, this is basically not a coup, this is an attempt to coup but even that failed too....For me, the coup faction either does not understand the situation or they simply bite a lot bigger than they can chew.

A good explanation i've heard is that Erdogan actually did have all his ducks in a row on this. There was apparently talk of a purge in the military and this is what led to a desperate ill planned coup. Because the government had already 'done the research' so to speak the government was able to move very quickly in arresting those with even the most tenuous of ties with gullen. That said arresting so many judicial figures seemingly unrelated to the coup is ringing alarm bells with me.

Erdogan is no Morsi, he knows that traitors in the judiciary are an ever present threat because they are used to legitimize illegitimate push for power as it had happened in Egypt and BD. He has done the right thing to purge the suspected sleeper cells in the judiciary. I suggest that people like you permanently turn off their alarm bells from now on for Erdogan and his policies are here to stay.

Turkey should launch a military operation against Kurds and finish the enemy once and for all

160716161622-16-turkey-coup-0716-overlay-tease.jpg

160715212318-23-turkey-coup-0725-exlarge-169.jpg

160715182718-14-turkey-coup-0715-exlarge-169.jpg

160715195330-21-turkey-coup-0715-restricted-super-169.jpg

TURKEY KNOWS WHO PLANS THESE ....EVENTS SPONSORSHIP FROM OUTSIDE

This is how Turkish people defend their nation from ROUGE SOLDIERS SPONSORED from outside country

Criminals sitting outside , and their sponsors left the country leaving the poor 17-18 year old on ground to take the hits from people of TURKEY AGAINST these ROUGES

160716070702-01-turkey-coup-0716-super-169.jpg

160716071635-03-turkey-coup-0715-super-169.jpg

Let that be lesson to people who feel they can create another SISI

160716072631-06-turkey-coup-0716-super-169.jpg

Beautiful pictures of democracy in action. Let the US and the despots in the ME see the power of people.

I dont know man,those 2700 judges whether they are linked to Gulen or not, but isnt it too fast to tell?or you got it all figured it before it happend?In china we have a slang "Even 1500 pigs,it still takes few days to catch".

If you are an able leader you should have an idea what might happen and who can do what. These traitors were most probably under surveillance anyway.

Road to hell is paved with good intentions - unfortunately. It all started the way you described in Turkey too, but we're now witnessing what a terrible end it might produce. Till 2013 I was having the same opinions as you, but it all evaporated seeing that their agenda is aligned quite differently. Some of his closest aides, who built the movement together, also left seeing the ulterior motives. F16 vs F16 has cleared all of our minds. It's a pyramid structure - folks at the bottom are workers who provide all the services - schools, hospitals etc. They have no clue or mind to see the "one-eyed" entity looking over it from the top...

Is it possible that these Gulen people were secretly maintaining links with the Daesh terrorists to undermine the Erdogan administration? Is this why the Russians were always accusing Turkey of supporting the Daesh terrorists? Then we have these suckular thugs in Syria, Egypt and Iran celebrating upon hearing the news of the coup and that is another aspect of it pointing the finger at their allies in Turkey. Most probably several parties are involved in it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36818401
_90423255_mediaitem90423253.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionThousands of soldiers have been rounded up in the aftermath of the coup attempt

Turkey has detained 6,000 people over Friday's failed coup and the number is expected to rise further, Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag has said.

The sweep has included high-ranking soldiers and 2,700 judges. More than 50 senior soldiers were detained in the western province of Denizli on Sunday.

Mr Bozdag described the arrests as a "clean-up operation".

At least 265 people were killed in clashes as the coup failed.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says parliament might consider a proposal to introduce the death penalty.

Mr Erdogan has accused a US-based Turkish cleric, Fethullah Gulen of being behind the plot, which Mr Gulen denies.

Jump media player
Media player help

Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Media captionWhy did the coup in Turkey fail?
High-profile arrests
The arrests reportedly include Gen Erdal Ozturk, commander of the Third Army; Gen Adem Huduti, commander of the Second Army; and Akin Ozturk, the former Chief of Air Staff.

Maj Gen Ozhan Ozbakir, commander of the Denizli garrison, was among the senior military figures arrested on Sunday, Turkey's Anadolu news agency reports.

One of Turkey's most senior judges, Alparslan Altan, has also been taken into custody.

Eight Turkish soldiers who fled to Greece and claimed political asylum have appeared in court there charged with illegal entry.

Their lawyer told Greek TV they had not taken part in the coup, but had flown to Greece when they were shot at by Turkish police. Turkey is seeking their extradition.

_90423734_fbbb253e-1ed1-4e67-ae47-c0cbc08ececc.jpg
Image copyrightAP
Image captionEight Turkish soldiers who flew to Greece have been charged with illegally entering the country
'Harmful insinuations'
Mr Erdogan said that those behind the plot would pay a heavy price, calling the coup a "gift from God... because this will be a reason to cleanse our army".

He called on the US to extradite Mr Gulen, who heads the popular Hizmet movement and is said to count military chiefs and mid-level bureaucrats among his followers.

Once allies, Mr Erdogan has long accused Mr Gulen and his supporters of plotting against him.

US Secretary of State John Kerry said of any extradition, that Turkey should "present us with any legitimate evidence that withstands scrutiny".

Mr Gulen has denied any involvement in the coup. The 75-year-old, who has been in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania for the past 15 years, said: "I don't even know who my followers [in Turkey] are."

Mr Kerry strongly rebuked a Turkish minister who suggested Washington was behind the coup. He said "utterly false" insinuations were "harmful to our bilateral relations".

US President Barack Obama has joined other world leaders in calling for all parties in Turkey to "act within the rule of law".

_90423740_6c293182-d0b7-457b-b17e-5f63c3c667e1.jpg
Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionFunerals are being held for some of those who were killed in the failed coup
_90422712_mediaitem90422711.jpg
Image copyrightAP
Tens of thousands of Turks partied into the small hours of Sunday in celebration of the failure of the coup.

Many of those who have been critical of President Erdogan's growing authoritarianism welcomed the speedy extinguishing of a coup as a victory for democracy, says the BBC's Middle East World Service Editor Sebastian Usher.

But they are now holding their breath to see how Turkey's much prized democratic system will bear up as Mr Erdogan takes full advantage of his personal triumph in defeating those who tried to bring him down, he adds.

Why did coup happen? - Jeremy Bowen, BBC News Middle East Editor
The attempted coup happened because Turkey is deeply divided over President Erdogan's project to transform the country and because of the contagion of violence from the war in Syria.

President Erdogan and his AK Party have become experts at winning elections, but there have always been doubts about his long-term commitment to democracy. He is a political Islamist who has rejected modern Turkey's secular heritage. Mr Erdogan has become increasingly authoritarian and is trying to turn himself into a strong executive president.

From the beginning Mr Erdogan's government has been deeply involved in the war in Syria, backing Islamist opposition to President Assad. But violence has spread across the border, helping to reignite the fight with the Kurdish PKK, and making Turkey a target for the jihadists who call themselves Islamic State.

That has caused a lot of disquiet. Turkey has faced increasing turmoil and the attempt to overthrow President Erdogan will not be the last of it.

source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36818401

Turkey coup attempt: Counterterrorism chief critically injured after being shot in the head by coup plotters, as authorities round up more than 6,000 in ruthless crackdown

Turkey coup: How events unfoldedPlay!01:22

00:4801:23

5ja3hynde6_pcyxpqbj4smsxreqtjmw6-large.jpg

17 JULY 2016 • 2:21PM
Turkish authorities have continued their crackdown in the aftermath of an attempted coup, with more than 6,000 people detained as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's revenge mission raises fears for the future of democracy in the region.

On Saturday night, thousands of supporters poured onto the streets of Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir to demonstrate their loyalty to Mr Erdogan after a tumultuous 24 hours.

In an astonishing and at times brutal 13-and-a-half hours, which at one point reduced Mr Erdogan to broadcasting to his nation via a mobile phone, street protests and military forces loyal to the Turkish leader suppressed the coup that left at least 265 dead.

Turkish authorities on Sunday announced 6,000 people including generals had been detained in the aftermath.

World leaders including US President Barack Obama have strongly condemned the attempted putsch but also urged Turkey to respect the rule of law in its aftermath, especially after pictures emerged showing the rough treatment of some coup plotters when arrested.

"The clean-up operations are continuing," Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said.

Arrest warrants were issued for 2,745 judges in what was widely expected to mark the start of a purge of opposition forces.

Turkey Coup: Soldiers surrender on Bosphorus bridge in IstanbulPlay!01:13

“They will pay a heavy price for this,” he warned, calling for the death penalty to be reintroduced.

“This uprising is a gift from God to us because this will be a reason to cleanse our army,” the president said in response to the bloodiest challenge to his 13-year-rule.

After a night when Turkey’s democracy appeared to hang by a thread, Western and Middle Eastern leaders offered vocal support for the country's democratic institutions.

However, senior Western diplomats were privately voicing fears that Mr Erdogan would use the coup to entrench his powers.

103420416_People_celebrate_in_Turkey_foreign-large_trans++PkPWLXP_iG_X2Wo3V95CStEgVipCcYG_lNXo9zZTqHc.jpg

People stand and celebrate on an army tank after taking over a military position on the Bosphorus bridge in Istanbul on July 16 CREDIT: BULENT KILIC/AFP
“For now everyone is delighted that democracy is restored,” a source told The Sunday Telegraph. “The fear is for what comes next.”

The source added that keeping Turkey on a democratic track would top the agenda at Sunday's meeting of EU foreign ministers, who have been relying on the country to stem the flow of migrants into Europe since signing a deal with Ankara last year.

“Erdogan’s instinct and priority will now be to clamp down on dissent and consolidate power,” said Mujtaba Rahman, of Eurasia Group, a risk consultancy. “This has to complicate cooperation with Europe over refugees, as it’ll give more voice to already squeamish constituencies in the EU about closer ties with Turkey.”

Some 104 plotters were killed in clashes, while 161 others fell as “martyrs”, the government said.

The coup was defeated with the aid of tens of thousands of Mr Erdogan's supporters who poured on to the streets after he flew back to Istanbul in the middle of the night, using a hastily arranged press conference to urge them to take back control.

By the time the last plotters surrendered on the Bosphorus bridge, the crowds had descended on the disarmed rebels, beating them with clubs and humiliating the failed soldiers as they cowered on the ground.

Turkish authorities named Akin Ozturk, a former air force commander, as one of the “masterminds of the coup” alongside two army generals, Adem Huduti and Avni Angun.

Up to 50,000 British holidaymakers were in the country during the attempted coup. Many of them looked for ways to return home after Istanbul’s main airport was temporarily shut and flights cancelled.

Flights have resumed, with Turkish Airlines operating a full timetable and British Airways running a reduced schedule.

Thomas Cook, meanwhile, which takes tourists to coastal resorts several hundred miles away from where the failed coup took place, said it was operating a full holiday programme.

The rebel army faction – which calls itself the Peace Council and denounced Mr Erdogan’s increasingly non-secular and autocratic approach – said it was trying to overthrow the government to “protect human rights”.

Erdogan supporters celebrate on streets of IstanbulPlay!00:40

Mr Erdogan, caught by surprise as he enjoyed a holiday in the south, was quick to blame his old foe Fethullah Gülen, a Muslim cleric, and former ally, living in exile in the US. Mr Gülen’s followers were known to have a strong presence in Turkey’s police and judiciary, but less so in the military.

The cleric, however, condemned the attempted coup and said he had played no part in it, but Mr Erdogan demanded his US allies hand him over for questioning.

However, there were signs of tension between Mr Erdogan and Washington, with John Kerry, the US Secretary of State, angrily denying allegations that the US had backed the coup.

John Kirby, the State Department spokesman, said claims that the US was involved were "utterly false and harmful to our bilateral relations."

Amid fears of a bloody retribution, Stephane Dion, Canada's foreign minster, has called on Turkey to handle the aftermath of the coup attempt according to "fundamental principles of democracy."

Footage shows military helicopter open fire over AnkaraPlay!00:55

By Saturday morning, all symbols of the coup had been dismantled or hijacked by government supporters.

Some stood on top of an abandoned armoured vehicle in the middle of the main highway into Istanbul. “Erdogan, Erdogan, he will never fail us,” they shouted into the windows of cars driving past.

The coup backfired on its plotters, only seeming to shore up support for the strongman who was already looking to consolidate his powers.

Auto update

2:21pm
US to scale back Isil fighting after loss of key Turkish air base
The United States has been forced to scale back its fight against Islamic State after losing access to the main Turkish air base it uses to launch air strikes against jihadists, reports Josie Ensor in Istanbul.

Turkish authorities imposed a security lockdown after a botched coup saw rebel soldiers take control of Incirlik air base in the south-east of the country on Friday night.

A senior air force general stationed at the base was arrested yesterday along with over a dozen lower ranking officers on suspicion of involvement in the putsch, which lasted several hours before it was shut down by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan loyalists.

Ankara suspects Incirlik was used to refuel military aircraft "hijacked" by the coup plotters and used to fly over cities across Turkey in a show of force.

The base has become a key hub for US forces after Turkey last year agreed to allow the fellow Nato member use of Incirlik to carry out lethal raids against Isil jihadists in Syria.

103417539_People_gather_and_some_stand_atop_of_a_Turkish_army_armoured_vehicle_in_Ankara_early_Satur-large_trans++piVx42joSuAkZ0bE9ijUnGH28ZiNHzwg9svuZLxrn1U.jpg

People gather and some stand atop of a Turkish army, armoured vehicle CREDIT: STP
“US officials are working with the Turks to resume air operations there as soon as possible,” Peter Cook, the Pentagon press secretary, said in a statement. “In the meantime, US air forces central command is adjusting flight operations in the counter-Isil campaign to minimise any effects on the campaign.”

While the US military has the use of other air fields in Iraq, Incirlik, which is 100 miles from the Syrian border, has become its main staging ground.

Christopher Harmer, a former navy officer turned analyst for the Institute for the Study of War warned of the consequences of the shutdown: “A 48- to 72-hour disruption shouldn’t have a big impact, but if it’s longer than 96 hours, it’s going to have a big impact and the longer it lasts, the bigger the impact.”

He said the coup has given Mr Erdogan the power to “close access to air bases to the US that he couldn’t a week ago.”

The Incirlik airbase is of critical importance to the US military, as not only does it facilitate the US aerial operations against terrorists in neighboring Syria and Iraq, but it is also one of six Nato sites in Europe that house tactical nuclear weapons.

Some have speculated that the base may be held "hostage" by Ankara as a bargaining chip ahead of demands for the extradition of Mr Erdogan's arch enemy, Fethullah Gulen, currently a resident of the state of Pennsylvania.

1:48pm
Foreign office calls for calm
The Foreign Office says in a statement: "We are concerned by events over the weekend in Turkey. Our Embassy continues to monitor the situation closely.

"While the situation appears to have calmed the security environment remains potentially volatile. We are advising British nationals to monitor our travel advice and to check with their airline or tour operator before travelling.

"British nationals requiring assistance in Turkey can contact the Foreign Office on 12:50pm
6,000 detained in the aftermath of the coup
Turkish authorities have now detained 6,000 people including generals, in action that has sparked international concern.

"The clean-up operations are continuing," Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag was quoted as saying by the state-run Anadolu news agency.

World leaders including US President Barack Obama have strongly condemned the attempted putsch but also urged Turkey to respect the rule of law in its aftermath, especially after pictures emerged showing the rough treatment of some coup plotters when arrested.

103460789_People_apprehend_a_Turkish_soldier_third_right_in_blue_that_participated_in_the_attemp-large_trans++rpfQw2hJyG_yckwxPAr0ggGNY_A2dHyghdflyNWj5P8.jpg

A Turkish soldier, in blue, is apprehended after the coup attempt

12:25pm
Failed coup attempt is a “windfall for Erdogan”
Mahir Zeynalov is a journalist with Turkey’s English language daily Today’s Zaman. She said: “Erdogan has seized every moment in the past few years to empower himself, especially after challenges such as anti-government Gezi demonstrations and the massive corruption scandal of 2013.

“There is no doubt that he is poised to win a possible referendum designed to make him an executive president with expanded powers.

“The failed coup attempt is a windfall for Erdogan in his bid to further consolidate his power.”

12:02pm
Eight soldiers who fled to Greece in helicopter charged
Eight Turkish military officers who fled to Greece by helicopter following the failed coup have been charged with illegal entry and violating Greek airspace, according to their laywer.

The men, who have sought asylum in Greece, arrived by military helicopter on Saturday after sending a distress signal to authorities at the airport in the northern city of Alexandroupolis.

They remain under arrest and will appear in court on Monday.

The soldiers, all married and in their forties, say they played no part in the putsch but fled to Greece after policemen started shooting at them.

11:20am
Counterterrorism chief shot but alive
Josie Ensor in Istanbul reports that the police department’s Counterterrorism Chief Turgut Aslan is this morning being treated in hospital after being shot in the head by coup plotters.

He is critically injured but still alive. He was held hostage for 24 hours after being captured by putschists during the attempted coup.

10:57am
Plotters still holding out in Istanbul
Plotters believed to be behind the military coup aimed at toppling President Recep Tayyip Erdogan are still at large in Istanbul, according to the Turkish Government.

A senior official said a few groups had yet to surrender, but that they no longer pose a risk to the Government.

These include important military figures who will be captured soon, according to the spokesman.

5:10am
Flights resuming to Turkey
Flights are resuming from Istanbul’s Ataturk airport. Turkish Airlines has already resumed normal operation from Europe’s third largest hub - though it warned there could be some delays.

British Airways spokesman said it plans a reduced schedule to Turkey on Sunday and that some these flights may be subject to delays.

4:07am
Thousands take to the streets to support Erdogan
Thousands took to the streets of Turkey Saturday in support of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, after authorities crushed a military coup that claimed at least 265 lives.

After facing down the bloodiest challenge to his 13-year rule, Erdogan triumphantly addressed flag-waving supporters in Istanbul following Friday's chaos in the strategic NATO member of 80 million people.

Thousands packed into Ankara's Kizilat Square, the heart of Istanbul and the coastal city of Izmir at a series of rallies across the country.

2:47am
US State Department warns against travelling to Turkey
Americans have been advised to “reconsider” travel to Turkey following the attempted coup.

“Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organisations,” the State Department has warned.

Americans have been advised to stay away from south eastern Turkey and to avoid large crowds, especially at popular tourist destinations.

US airlines ace currently banned from flying to or from Ankara and Istanbul as have all inbound flights from Turkey - both direct and indirect.

1:06am
John Kerry says claims US backed coup 'utterly false'
The US Secretary of State, John Kerry, called his Turkish opposite number Saturday to offer US support in the wake of a failed coup but also to protest claims Washington had backed it.

The United States was quick to denounce the military revolt in its NATO ally Turkey and to express support for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's elected government.

But some Turkish officials have reportedly suggested the United States was covertly sympathetic to the rogue military officers, a claim Kerry angrily denied.

State Department spokesman John Kirby said that Kerry had called Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu for a second day running to promise US support in probing the putsch.

"He made clear that the United States would be willing to provide assistance to Turkish authorities conducting this investigation, but that public insinuations or claims about any role by the United States in the failed coup attempt are utterly false and harmful to our bilateral relations," Kirby said of Kerry's call to Cavusoglu.

Earlier, Turkey's labour minister Suleyman Soylu had reportedly suggested the United States was behind the revolt, which triggered fighting that left at least 265 dead.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...sident-erdogan-rounds-up-thousands-of-soldie/

Turkey coup: Who was behind Turkey coup attempt?
By Ezgi Basaran Turkish journalist and academic visitor at St Antony's College, Oxford University

Since its founding, the Turkish Republic has endured its share of military intervention in politics, and seen four coups - two of them forced a change of government without taking over.

They have all had grave consequences, and shattered many lives. But nothing compares to what we witnessed on the night of 15 July 2016.

Were we expecting such a coup attempt? No. Even though there was talk of the mid-ranks of the military being unhappy with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's illiberal policies, a coup was highly unlikely, many reckoned.

There are several reasons for this.

Firstly, restraining the military's presence in politics was one of the governing AK party's main pledges, since its second term of office.

In 2007, the then chief of the armed forces, Gen Yasar Buyukanit, opposed Abdullah Gul - an AKP founder and long-time comrade of Mr Erodgan's - becoming president.

The AKP and parliament ignored Gen Buyukanit's intervention and elected Mr Gul anyway.

But the general's attempt to shape government affairs suggested a conflict between the AKP and the military, and it increased support for the AKP.

A month after Gen Buyukanit's intervention, the long-running and high-profile criminal investigation into Ergenekon began.

Ergenekon, according to the indictment, was a terrorist organisation consisting of secular nationalists in the "deep state" - within the political system.

They had allegedly plotted assassinations and bomb attacks to oust the government and had been influencing the Turkish political sphere for decades.

Among those accused was a former armed forces chief, Gen Ilker Basbug.

In 2010, another high profile case called Sledgehammer (Balyoz) started, which led to the incarceration of 300 army officials.

They were accused of plotting a 2003 coup against the AKP government, but the majority of the evidence was found to have been fabricated.

All defendants in both trials were acquitted.

It is now acknowledged the trials were orchestrated by followers of Fethullah Gulen in the military, intelligence, police and judiciary. Gulen is an influential Islamic cleric who has been in exile in Pennsylvania since 1999.

The AK party relied on the Gulen movement to eliminate the secularist establishment in the state and the military.

The collapse of the trials sidelined the military, after which the AKP and the Gulen movement got into a power struggle for control of the state.

The Gulen movement's presence in the state structure is deep-rooted and hard to trace.

President Erdogan vowed to cleanse the country of what he called a "terrorist parallel state", staging arrests and turning it into a McCarthy-style witch hunt at certain points. But he has admitted that it is taking time.

Still, Mr Erdogan seemed to be in control with top-ranking officials on his side.

It looks as if the coup attempt of 15 July was staged mainly by the gendarmerie and air force personnel.

Key parts of the military fiercely condemned the coup attempt. The chief of the armed forces and two generals from the naval forces were reportedly taken hostage by the junta.

The armed forces chief has reportedly been released, but the whereabouts of the naval generals is still unknown.

There are several theories as to who was behind this failed coup attempt.

One theory suggests it was a "false flag" event staged by President Erdogan to gain more power, but common sense dictates the event went too far to be a false flag.

Another theory embraced by the Kurdish movement is that Kemalists - secular followers of the founder of modern Turkey, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk - in the army tricked the Gulenists into staging a coup. They knew it would fail and that it would lead to a long-awaited cleansing of Gulenists from the military.

Another theory stems from a police source, who said that the AKP government had been planning to arrest Gulen-supporting army officials on 16 July. The source claims that when the coup-plotters learned about this, they went ahead and initiated the coup earlier than planned - hence the sloppiness.

President Erdogan and his ministers blame the Gulen movement for the coup, and say that this attempt is the group's last gasp.

He may be right, but there is a lot that does not add up.

Questions remain
Firstly, using violence - let alone staging a coup - is not the Gulen movement's typical modus operandi.

As we saw during the Ergenekon and Sledgehammer cases - and the collapse of the first peace process (Oslo talks) with the Kurds - the movement has resorted to methods like wire-tapping, fabricating evidence and smear campaigns.

Secondly, the statement of the junta, that was forcefully read on the official government TV as the coup got under way, bore a strong resemblance to Mustafa Kemal Ataturk's famous address to the Turkish Youth.

The coup plotters also called themselves the "Peace at Home Council", which is derived from Ataturk's famous saying "Peace At Home, Peace In the World".

On the other hand, given that these references are too obvious, they may have been intentionally included to insinuate a Kemalist junta rather than a Gulenist one.

The AKP government claims that a military prosecutor is behind the attempt, along with 46 officers whose names were leaked to media late at night.

Nothing is certain for now, but a military coup would be the last thing Turkey needs while it is struggling with the spill-over of the Syrian War, the threat of the Islamic State group, and the Kurdish insurgency.

42 Helicopters Missing in Turkey Sparking Concerns of a Second Coup Attempt

At least 42 helicopters have gone missing from Turkey's military inventory in the wake of the failed coup attempt on Friday evening causing concern that there may be another act to the attempted overthrow of Erdogan.

CNN Turk anchor Serdar Tuncer reports that at least 42 helicopters have gone missing from the Turkish military inventory and says concern is brewing that another coup effort may soon be underway.
"It is as though this rogue will try more things. Can they succeed? No! But will they try?" said the reporter.

Unrest continues in Turkey in the wake of Friday's failed coup attempt that left at least 265 dead and over 2000 people wounded, most of whom were civilians answering the call of President Erdogan to put down the coup attempt.

Full report
http://sputniknews.com/news/20160717/1043162524/helicopters-turkey-coup-erdogan-weapons.html

For those claiming it is 'staged coup', no way on earth it is, and there is no such thing as 'staged coup' at all. The army rouge elements didn't inform the public, unlike in Egypt, because they would expose their plan. In Egypt, the military and some Arab nations stopped supply of diesel, and Egypt began facing electricity shortages. The military told the people to blame the government, and a month prior to the coup, there was already planned demonstrations against Egyptian government. So the people went out, the military then gave 24 hour ultimatum. It was over.

In Turkey, that couldn't be replicated, they did at night to catch everyone off guard. Initially everyone thought it succeeded as tweets suggested, even Western media was ready to call it a new era. The great Turkish people however, went in the streets and foiled it, Turkish people are a great nation with a great history, their people are not a joke, secular or not.

The enemies of Turkey, do not want to Turkey to become even greater nation which it is on way to being. It is not their fear of 'Islam', on contrary Turkey is secular with moderate Islam. They don't fear Islam, look at ISIS or AQ, they are full blown literalist Islam and nobody fears them. They fear Turks, who have grand history and known as people with rich culture, to gain influence in region, dominate tourism industry there, and become self independent militarily soon, while having control over military as well. If that happens, Turkey will surpass everyone in the region. So now they want to foil it and will keep attempting to do so.

It is very obvious EU and US are involved. Recent statements by France suggest that too. France is now playing the ISIS card against Turkey. Now they want to accuse Turkey of complicity with ISIS, and will not stop until they achieve their plans. France sent 1,000 soldiers to Mali and cleaned up half the country within weeks. Anyone really believe NATO can't finish off ISIS in short amount of time? No way, they accept ISIS presence, as it ushers benefit in pressuring regional governments.

So stay strong, united, and determined, Turkish people. :tup:

Erdogan is no Morsi, he knows that traitors in the judiciary are an ever present threat because they are used to legitimize illegitimate push for power as it had happened in Egypt and BD. He has done the right thing to purge the suspected sleeper cells in the judiciary. I suggest that people like you permanently turn off their alarm bells from now on for Erdogan and his policies are here to stay.

Beautiful pictures of democracy in action. Let the US and the despots in the ME see the power of people.

If you are an able leader you should have an idea what might happen and who can do what. These traitors were most probably under surveillance anyway.

Is it possible that these Gulen people were secretly maintaining links with the Daesh terrorists to undermine the Erdogan administration? Is this why the Russians were always accusing Turkey of supporting the Daesh terrorists? Then we have these suckular thugs in Syria, Egypt and Iran celebrating upon hearing the news of the coup and that is another aspect of it pointing the finger at their allies in Turkey. Most probably several parties are involved in it.
Aziz Kardeshim, nothing is off the table. It is now being stated, both by journalists and Party officials, that the pilot who downed the Russian fighter was a Gulenist. FETO (Fethullahist Terrorist Organization) has been trying hard to portray Turkey as ISIS supporter. These low lives take orders from their chain of command, not from the state. They have rented their Akl (mind) and Kalb (heart) to FETO. Most live "crypto" lives while being highly educated and mild in manors. Zombies from ISIS are like kids compared to them..

Good riddance.

As more than 6,000 have been detained and the expectation that numbers could rise further, one Twitter user commented "this is an opportunity for the governing party to cleanse out all opposition to the presidential system".

Among the latest arrests to be reported was the commander of Incirlik air base in the south used by US-led coalition jets for raids against the so-called Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria. Unnamed officials said Gen Bekir Ercan Van and 10 other soldiers had been detained for their role in the coup.

Also on Sunday, more than 50 senior soldiers were detained in the western province of Denizli, including the garrison commander.

Those arrested on Saturday were reported to include Gen Erdal Ozturk, commander of the Third Army; Gen Adem Huduti, commander of the Second Army; and Akin Ozturk, the former Chief of Air Staff.

One of Turkey's most senior judges, Alparslan Altan, has also been taken into custody.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36818401

The chief military assistant to Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, Ali Yazici, was also detained on Sunday, according to broadcaster CNN Turk.

"There are still a few important soldiers on the run and being sought. I believe they will be captured shortly," an official told Reuters.

A senior Turkish official told Al Jazeera that at least two judges from the constitutional court and 10 judges from the HSYK had been detained.

Back
Top Bottom