What's new

Turkish Peace Operations in Syria (Operation Olive Branch) Updates & Discussions

That Kurdish/SDF operation for Raqqa is heading nowhere (no progress).

It seems ypg's dash towards al-bab was primarily aimed at delaying the fsa and buying time for assad since (east) aleppo's fall is unavoidable, thus freeing up Assad troops/militias/etc. for al-bab too.

Main aim of creating IS and turmoil in Iraq and Syria was creation of independent Kurdistan in these two states so Turkey's map could be redrawn, western powers seek to redraw maps of the region on ethnic faultlies , Turkey anticipated this design at the right time and moved into Syria to deny breathing space to YPG...once IS is crushed... the real threat would be from Kurdish autonomous region in Northern Iraq which could instill Kurdish irridentism in Turkey, I believe in future Turkey will have to expand its military operations into Iraqi Kurdish territory to mitigate this threat !!!

ISIS is the unofficial military arm of the Saudi regime to weaken secular Arab governments and increase Saudi influence throughout the region.

Is this why the SA regime ousted Morsi and installed sisi, a suckular thug who's now openly supporting another suckular thug in Syria? It's weird way of 'weakening' suckular regimes.

ISIS is the unofficial military arm of the Saudi regime to weaken secular Arab governments and increase Saudi influence throughout the region.

If so, Saudi's will become a blip in the history of the region, as neither they nor is ISIS strong enough to go up directly against countries like Turkey, Iran..... , nor will the same tactics as in Syria/Iraq work in either of these countries.

You guys are now learning the same lesson as the Americans: you cannot depend on tribal militias with questionable allegiances to do the ground fighting for you.

I really doubt the Americans ever learn't that lesson or they are capable to do so...

With Aleppo falling into Perso-Tsar empire's hand, I wonder what Turkey will do if the regime decides to retake al-Bab before FSA/YPG does?

End of Euphrate Operation?

With Aleppo falling into Perso-Tsar empire's hand, I wonder what Turkey will do if the regime decides to retake al-Bab before FSA/YPG does?

looking at http://syria.liveuamap.com/ Turkey is already at Al-bab with no one near.

elbabson28kas%C4%B1m1.jpg

As you can see, Turkish Armed Forces and Turkey-backed FSA closed the Manbij-Al Bab Road against YPG. The main problem is the YPG and SAA forces from Afrin. YPG and SAA are moving together to take over Al-Bab.

elbabson28kas%C4%B1m1.jpg

As you can see, Turkish Armed Forces and Turkey-backed FSA closed the Manbij-Al Bab Road against YPG. The main problem is the YPG and SAA forces from Afrin. YPG and SAA are moving together to take over Al-Bab.

I fail to understand the stupid strategy of Assad's forces, they have allied themselves with YPG, a force which wants to break Syria and carve out independent Kurdish territory, its a dumb move on Assad's part.

I fail to understand the stupid strategy of Assad's forces, they have allied themselves with YPG, a force which wants to break Syria and carve out independent Kurdish territory, its a dumb move on Assad's part.

Well, Assad hates Turkey so much so that their alliance with the YPG makes sense... if the country cant be whole, then let them Turks suffer is probably his view... besides that, in the mid 90's Syria had PKK bases that almost caused Turkey declaring war against it, "Clear them out or face the consequences" was the ultimatum, but they cleaned them out.. YPG / PYD is just another name for the same group... so it doesn't surprise anyone at least in Turkey..

Turkey anticipated this design at the right time
With this part i disagree. If anything, Turkish govt should have taken north Syria years ago before ypg was propped up this big by the US and co, everybody is using the pretext of isis to further their own agenda, so should we have done to justify cleaning north Syria and propping up the fsa there. Instead this operation has come at a point where Assad has been propped up/secured by Russia and ypg almost succeeded in linking up west with east. Turkish govt should have been more sly, faster to realize the West's game and more ruthless with heavily arming and training the fsa, at least definitely the Turkmen. I think the Turkish govt really waited for support from the western 'allies' for a no-flyzone or at least to take a combined action, a fatal mistake imo, but finally took the matter in its own hands to make a last minute effort with this operation. Fsa is a good experience for the Turkey, but it seems when it comes to using proxies and being sly and opportunistic in foreign affairs we still have lots to learn.

Last edited:
With this part i disagree. If anything, Turkish govt should have taken north Syria years ago before ypg was propped up this big by the US and co, everybody is using the pretext of isis to further their own agenda, so should we have done to justify cleaning north Syria and propping up the fsa there. Instead this operation has come at a point where Assad has been propped up/secured by Russia and ypg almost succeeded in linking up west with east. Turkish govt should have been more sly, faster to realize the West's game and more ruthless with heavily arming and training the fsa, at least definitely the Turkmen. I think the Turkish govt really waited for support from the western 'allies' for a no-flyzone or at least to take a combined action, a fatal mistake imo, but finally took the matter in its own hands to make a last minute effort with this operation. Fsa is a good experience for the Turkish state, but it seems when it comes to using proxies and being sly and opportunistic in foreign affairs we still have lots to learn.

Do you think the YPG can protect those territories even if by some miracle they joined up? I don't, everyone for some odd reason talks about them being a threat to Turkey, but I think it wouldn't take a month to bulldoze them from existence, after all almost all of the depth of their territory is within the range of Turkish artillery... and I can think of over 1000 people who would love to go hunting down there for the fun of it.

Back
Top Bottom