What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

Yes You are right
8-cell VLS for 32 ESSM for the fist subclass, and two 8-cell modules for 64 ESSM for the second subclass

TCG ORUCREIS F245

TCG KEMALREIS F247

Only SM block 1.

I dont realy know the exact figures for the effective ranges of ESSM or SM 1 However, frankly speaking they are neither good enough for area denial nor they provide a clear advantage over enemy air assets.it may sound kind of over simplification but in this regard quantity does not matter that much, we will be on par with the enemy unless a dedicated AAW ship arrives.

Last edited:
I dont realy know the exact figures for the effective ranges of ESSM or SM 1 However, frankly speaking they are neither good enough for area denial nor they provide a clear advantage over enemy air assets.it may sound kind of over simplification but in this regard quantity does not matter that much, we will be on par with the enemy unless a dedicated AAW ship arrives.

ESSM and SM1 are medium range and are enough in the water. A Anti ship missile or cruise missile will be detected in close range like 20 km not before so essm and sm1 are good. In fact our Gabya class ships are AAW but with medium range missiles. Enemy air assets fly most of the time above sea level like a antiship missile so it can not be detected from long range.

Last edited:
ESSM and SM1 are medium range and are enough in the water. A Anti ship missile or cruise missile will be detected in close range like 20 km not before so essm and sm1 are good. In fact our Gabya class ships are AAW but with medium range missiles. Enemy air assets fly most of the time above sea level like a antiship missile so it can not be detected from long range.

In fact, only detectable by airborne assets only, due to curvature of the Earth

One thing I don't like about our Naval RWS is the placement of the E/O that isn't slewed with the weapons platform. If they raised the platform for the E/O higher, they could have made the E/O have full range of motion on the horizontal axis, instead in it's current form the left side is blocked by the pedestal and cannon...

From this
maxresdefault.jpg

To something like this (excuse 5min photoshop), a more compact E/O would be better too..
guzel.jpg

One thing I don't like about our Naval RWS is the placement of the E/O that isn't slewed with the weapons platform. If they raised the platform for the E/O higher, they could have made the E/O have full range of motion on the horizontal axis, instead in it's current form the left side is blocked by the pedestal and cannon...

From this
maxresdefault.jpg

To something like this (excuse 5min photoshop), a more compact E/O would be better too..
View attachment 525290

But it is slewed. Aselsan says: "SMASH incorporates a seperately stabilized electroptical suit which can move in elevation and azimuth axes relative to gun. This ensures effective firing at long distances by enabling line-of-sight stay on the target at all times, even during the firing where ballistic correction is applied to the gun. The separately stabilized electroptical sight also enables surveillance and target tracking without aiming the gun to the target."

I guess the small amount it can slew in azimuth is enough for what it does. Wouldn't be able to target jets but then I don't think it's meant to.

But it is slewed. Aselsan says: "SMASH incorporates a seperately stabilized electroptical suit which can move in elevation and azimuth axes relative to gun. This ensures effective firing at long distances by enabling line-of-sight stay on the target at all times, even during the firing where ballistic correction is applied to the gun. The separately stabilized electroptical sight also enables surveillance and target tracking without aiming the gun to the target."

I guess the small amount it can slew in azimuth is enough for what it does. Wouldn't be able to target jets but then I don't think it's meant to.

What I'm trying to say is, if you are going to develop a weapons platform with an independently slewable E/O, you may as well have it so it is slewable without restrictions. The placement of the E/O on SMASH and STAMP-II makes no sense to me, especially since such E/O will be mainly used for surveillance.

STAMP-II also falls victim to this design; What's the point having it tucked in on a Naval Platform ?
guzel.jpg

Competition has better designs;
15Mar13+ITR+Typhoon+gun.JPG

ord_rws_mk38_mod2_right_lg.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

What I'm trying to say is, if you are going to develop a weapons platform with an independently slewable E/O, you may as well have it so it is slewable without restrictions. The placement of the E/O on SMASH and STAMP-II makes no sense to me, especially since such E/O will be mainly used for surveillance.

STAMP-II also falls victim to this design; What's the point having it tucked in on a Naval Platform ?
View attachment 525298

Competition has better designs;
15Mar13+ITR+Typhoon+gun.JPG

ord_rws_mk38_mod2_right_lg.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm no mariner but it doesn't look like it's a feature most customers want. And it looks like those EO you posted are just re-purposed general purpose EO units, which means they're doing it that way to save money, not because it's a feature customers want. Also the competition:
jz7Z7IE.jpg

vJTQ6M5.jpg

Reutech_Rogue_turret_400x300_Guy_Martin.jpg

Sea-Rogue.jpg

w0owTM0.jpg

I'm no mariner but it doesn't look like it's a feature most customers want. And it looks like those EO you posted are just re-purposed general purpose EO units, which means they're doing it that way to save money, not because it's a feature customers want. Also the competition:
jz7Z7IE.jpg

vJTQ6M5.jpg

Reutech_Rogue_turret_400x300_Guy_Martin.jpg

Sea-Rogue.jpg

w0owTM0.jpg

None of the competition you've posted has a slewed E/O. They are all fixed sights.

In fact, only detectable by airborne assets only, due to curvature of the Earth

Thats why US navy is trying to ad extra option to hit ships with SM2 missile, ot data link to guide the missile with awacs. Ther is no data avaible wher a ship did hit a enemy fighter with long range distance only with excercises.

Back
Top Bottom