What's new

Turkish Land Vehicle Programs

IDEF 2015: Turkish vehicle competitions near conclusion

Nicholas de Larrinaga, Istanbul - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly

06 May 2015

FNSS unveiled its Pars 4x4 vehicle at IDEF 2015 for the Turkish wheeled weapons carrier programme. It will face competition from a modified version of Otokar's Cobra II 4x4. Source: Nick de Larrinaga

Turkey's Anti-Tank Vehicle competition was one of the main focuses of the IDEF 2015 defence exhibition in Istanbul, with final bids from suppliers expected to be delivered before the end of May, various sources told IHS Jane's .

Also known as the weapons carrier programme, the Turkish Land Forces' programme is for 260 vehicles, 184 tracked and 76 wheeled vehicles. Both vehicle types are planned to be fitted with a remote-controlled turret (RCT) armed with the Roketsam OMTAS anti-tank guided missile (ATGM).

Turkish land systems firms FNSS and Otokar are going head-to-head in the competition, with both firms unveiling new vehicles for the programme at IDEF 2015.

Competing for the tracked component are Otokar's Tulpar-S weapons carrying vehicle, unveiled for the first time at IDEF 2015, and a modified version of the FNSS Kaplan vehicle unveiled at the 2013 edition of IDEF, but not present at IDEF 2015 as the company wanted to keep its offering confidential so close to the deadline for bids.

FNSS did unveil its Pars 4x4 vehicle at IDEF 2015 for the wheeled weapons carrying requirement, while Otokar will be offering a modified version of its Cobra II 4x4, which was unveiled at IDEF 2013.

Otokar unveiled its Tulpar-S tracked vehicle at IDEF 2015 for the Turkish tracked weapons carrier programme. It will face competition from a modified version of FNSS's Kaplan-10 design. (Nick de Larrinaga)

Speaking to IHS Jane's at IDEF, representatives from both companies said that they would be delivering their final bids to the Turkish Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSM) before the end of May. The downselection of one of the bids is expected before the end of the year, the companies added.

Both are also competing for Turkey's Special Purpose Tactical Wheeled Armoured Vehicle programme, which aims to buy 472 wheeled vehicles. In total the requirement calls for 121 command vehicles, 217 sensor/reconnaissance vehicles, 74 radar vehicles, and 60 chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) reconnaissance vehicles. For this requirement Otokar displayed a CBRN variant of its Arma 8x8 vehicle for the first time at IDEF 2014. FNSS will offer its Pars 8x8 as the base platform for the various versions.

IHS Jane's understands that the deadline for the companies to submit final bids has been extended until July for this project to incorporate all for changes to the requirements and to include some options for different mission systems.

IDEF 2015: Turkish vehicle competitions near conclusion - IHS Jane's 360

Tulpar - Scania engine and SAPA Placencia transmission
CbbdItj.jpg

Tulpar - MTU engine and Renk transmission
dlyf3us.jpg

Scania looks better, MTU has a huge ventilation, what do you think?

Well true about the looks, but not much can beat a MTU-Renk combination. Those damn Germans have been doing it right for close to a century now. Seriously though, the Leopard also uses the MTU engine and Renk transmission, I would go with that. A Spanish transmission? No gracias.

Well true about the looks, but not much can beat a MTU-Renk combination. Those damn Germans have been doing it right for close to a century now. Seriously though, the Leopard also uses the MTU engine and Renk transmission, I would go with that. A Spanish transmission? No gracias.
Huh? Scania is Sweden or is there another Scania that i dont know? :what:

And Scania's are not bad either.

Edit: ah i got it you meant the transmission. :)

Waiting eagerly for Kaplan 20 final design.

Any idea what the unit cost will be?

Huh? Scania is Sweden or is there another Scania that i dont know? :what:

And Scania's are not bad either.

Edit: ah i got it you meant the transmission. :)

Yes:p: Indeed Scania makes world class trucks and engines, I wouldn't put them beneath the Germans. But hey, VW imparatorlugu owns Scania as well:D So in the end it's German either way. Any news on when the dicision will be made? On the engine/transmission combo?

this tulpar is a beast, but its price is quoted at $1.2 million at wikipedia, i don't think it would be that low, because comparable ifv's has been in 2-3 mil range.

2 million is a good ballpark. Especially when active protection system (hardkill) etc will be included. Defense equipment is a very expensive thing in 2015 sadly. But Turkey needs it and I hope it becomes/stays affordable.

Yes:p: Indeed Scania makes world class trucks and engines, I wouldn't put them beneath the Germans. But hey, VW imparatorlugu owns Scania as well:D So in the end it's German either way. Any news on when the dicision will be made? On the engine/transmission combo?

2 million is a good ballpark. Especially when active protection system (hardkill) etc will be included. Defense equipment is a very expensive thing in 2015 sadly. But Turkey needs it and I hope it becomes/stays affordable.

2 million will be a good bargain for this thing.

Back
Top Bottom