What's new

Turkish intelligence agency form new center, gather units

Baykuş

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
ISTANBUL

Turkey’s National Intelligence Agency (MİT) has entered a new phase with the opening of the Joint Intelligence Coordination Center (MİKM), placing all intelligence-gathering units under the MİKM roof, according to daily Milliyet.

The center, headed by MİT chief Hakan Fidan, will have units in 37 cities, with six major and 31 minor administrations located in a variety of places including Istanbul, Diyarbakır, and Siirt. The major units, located in Istanbul, Diyarbakır, Van, Hatay, Gaziantep and Şanlırufa, will be working around the clock whereas the remaining 31 will have weekly sessions.

All valuable information gathered by local units will be transferred to a pool of intelligence, which will be sent to Ankara for evaluation, where MİKM officials will have a chance to go over all information put in by local sources. Each local unit will be headed by the governor and the deputy governor of the city.

August/22/2013

--- End of Article ---

Good thing! The army had his own, police forces own and but last intelligence service own. Now they are gathering one place inteliigence. Very good...

I do not think this is a good idea. First of all I want to ask you guys do you know what percentage MiT has provided for a successful intelligence for data-oriented operations and what percentage Police Intelligent Department has provided? Let me answer for those who are do not know the answer. Successful intelligence obtained by Mi Tis just 4‰ (4 per thousand). On the other hand, Police Intelligence Department obtained 87% of successful domestic intelligence. So what our government did was create a the Joint Intelligence Coordination Center under MiT who is worse when it comes to intelligence. Creating a new intelligence center is good but it must not be under MiT control instead it must be given to Public Security Agency (Kamu Guvenligi Teskilati) like in the US. Also, MiT should only be responsible for foreign intelligence not domestic. I want to share a source for those who want to know more about this merger. Mterek istihbarat merkezi (MM) ne i yapar? - Yazarlar Haberleri - Gncel Haber - Haber - Spor Haberleri- Scak haber - Yerel Haber

I do not think this is a good idea. First of all I want to ask you guys do you know what percentage MiT has provided for a successful intelligence for data-oriented operations and what percentage Police Intelligent Department has provided? Let me answer for those who are do not know the answer. Successful intelligence obtained by Mi Tis just 4‰ (4 per thousand). On the other hand, Police Intelligence Department obtained 87% of successful domestic intelligence. So what our government did was create a the Joint Intelligence Coordination Center under MiT who is worse when it comes to intelligence. Creating a new intelligence center is good but it must not be under MiT control instead it must be given to Public Security Agency (Kamu Guvenligi Teskilati) like in the US. Also, MiT should only be responsible for foreign intelligence not domestic. I want to share a source for those who want to know more about this merger. Mterek istihbarat merkezi (MM) ne i yapar? - Yazarlar Haberleri - Gncel Haber - Haber - Spor Haberleri- Scak haber - Yerel Haber

Thanks for the details, brother!
However, I don't see why we don't just merge them altogether to form a unified intelligence unit who in turn can have multiple divisions assigned to different tasks; domestic, external, etc.
And by the way, just as eager AKP was to separate the military from the state, they should also let go of the police force and MiT so that they can function rightfully and loyal to the laws of Turkey without having to follow orders and exceptions directed from our great and precious sultan.

Baykuş;4682867 said:
However, I don't see why we don't just merge them altogether to form a unified intelligence unit who in turn can have multiple divisions assigned to different tasks; domestic, external, etc.
And by the way, just as eager AKP was to separate the military from the state, they should also let go of the police force and MiT so that they can function rightfully and loyal to the laws of Turkey without having to follow orders and exceptions directed from our great and precious sultan.

You are welcome bro,

I am not against this new Joint Intelligence Coordination Center, what I am opposed is that this new center will be under MiT. This is just wrong. If you look at the MiT history you will only see how our intelligence service is unsuccessful. Before giving this kind of important task to them, first MiT must be reformed and reorganized. The current structure of the intelligence service is unfavored for our country. I am even no talking about the spies nested in our service who work for favor of foreign countries. So, before merger we need much more important issues to solve brother!

Baykuş;4677136 said:
ISTANBUL

Turkey’s National Intelligence Agency (MİT) has entered a new phase with the opening of the Joint Intelligence Coordination Center (MİKM), placing all intelligence-gathering units under the MİKM roof, according to daily Milliyet.

The center, headed by MİT chief Hakan Fidan, will have units in 37 cities, with six major and 31 minor administrations located in a variety of places including Istanbul, Diyarbakır, and Siirt. The major units, located in Istanbul, Diyarbakır, Van, Hatay, Gaziantep and Şanlırufa, will be working around the clock whereas the remaining 31 will have weekly sessions.

All valuable information gathered by local units will be transferred to a pool of intelligence, which will be sent to Ankara for evaluation, where MİKM officials will have a chance to go over all information put in by local sources. Each local unit will be headed by the governor and the deputy governor of the city.

August/22/2013

--- End of Article ---

That in bold may be a problem. These officials are all politicians.

MiT has never historically been used for actual intelligence gathering, rather for intimidation.... that's the thing here..... they need to get their act together......

They both hate each others guts, that's why it's a horrible idea to begin with. MiT needs reforms to bring up to date with this century, both manpower and technical knowledge. They still want to continue operating as they did in the 80's and early 90's.

Baykuş;4682867 said:

MIT is just a name,never heard them achieve anything ever.
They should start new with a new name and structure,we should take the US,GB or Israeli intelligence services as a model.

LFMAO... that's exactly what came to my mind earlier...... :D
Laugh all you want but I don't think this is good news. Bigger the agency, easier to leak information to outside. The way I see it we're just moving another step towards an autocratic police state.

Sure Jandarma and Army Intelligence branches could merge but this is putting all eggs in the same basket.

Is MIT something like American CIA or Israeli MOSAD? I guess they only collect and provide info to Turkish government, not execute assasinations like CIA. I tried to google but not much is known. I think Turkey needs to prop up their intel in modern-day warfare. Or else we don't know what is going on around us.

Is MIT something like American CIA or Israeli MOSAD? I guess they only collect and provide info to Turkish government, not execute assasinations like CIA. I tried to google but not much is known. I think Turkey needs to prop up their intel in modern-day warfare. Or else we don't know what is going on around us.

MIT stands for National Intelligence Agency. It's directly tied to the PM of Turkey himself. They do business. They are active at the cases such as the kidnapped THY pilots in Lebenon, kidnapped Turkish journalists in Egypt. They even rescued 2 Dutch journalists at Syria.

But they were not much active outside Turkish soils before the Arab Spring.

But they were not much active outside Turkish soils before the Arab Spring.
Wrong, they've staged an assassination for Hafez el-Asad in 90ies before syrians were forced to deport Ocalan the baby killer.

The attempt was cancelled shortly but a few operatives were caught and imprisoned if my memory serves me correctly.

or were they targeting ocalan? hmm.. suffice to say MIT was very active in Syria. Still they have lots of operatives in central & eastern europe, lots of connections in Germany. Hell of an intelligence network.

Back
Top Bottom