What's new

Turkish Engine Programs

Otosan engine could be problem. They use common rail system which uses high qaulity and well refined euro diesel. Fuel injectors are very senisitive . But military engines should use low quality fuels during battle times.

Old kind mechanic fuel injectors would be better for military duties.

Otosan engine could be problem. They use common rail system which uses high qaulity and well refined euro diesel. Fuel injectors are very senisitive . But military engines should use low quality fuels during battle times.

Old kind mechanic fuel injectors would be better for military duties.

Wouldn't it be simpler to modernize tested, already produced thousands of engine, as you would say, than to design a new engine and deal with production engineering of this new engine?

Ts-1400 can this engine be used for uavs? is it possible with modifications? or does it consume too much for an uav?

Ts-1400 can this engine be used for uavs? is it possible with modifications? or does it consume too much for an uav?

There is no engine type called uav engine. This engine can be turned directly into turboprop and you can do it on a uav or passenger plane. If you want, you can build unmanned helicopters and use it directly, or you can make a turbofan engine from the same core and make a turbofan engine uav or passenger plane.

There is no engine type called uav engine. This engine can be turned directly into turboprop and you can do it on a uav or passenger plane. If you want, you can build unmanned helicopters and use it directly, or you can make a turbofan engine from the same core and make a turbofan engine uav or passenger plane.

oh man that means it needs time I really hoped they would do such a thing but for that proper projects and money is need I hope to see it some day :)

Leap engine parts manufactured in TEI

URVX6i.png

maxresdefault.jpg

TEI-PG50 2-Stroke Gasoline Aviation Engine
Designed for Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAV)

f124af26-30a7-4271-c29a-aeabd978ff76.png

Developed through the superior design and manufacturing engineering capabilities, with the support of TUBITAK and technical infrastructure of TEI, and by utilization of national opportunities/facilities with maximum indigenousness, TEI-PG50 is a 2-stroke boxer type UAV gasoline engine, which is the first 2-stoke aviation engine of Turkey.

The TEI-PG50 engine for which the activities to proceed to the mass production stage continue at a rapid pace attracts attention with a maximum capacity of 50 (± 2) HP, as well as 30 (± 1) HP it generates at an altitude of 16.000 ft.

Standing out with higher power/weight ratio and the higher power it generates compared to that of the current UAV intended for similar purposes, as well as the rapid technical and logistic support features it offers through the injection and ignition systems and the electronic engine control system, TEI-PG50 performs Its flights by TEI's experimental platform successfully.

1027b60b-6181-44ba-c486-9be28eedaa15.png

---
Possibility of it powering UAV weight class around 120kg

Last edited:
TEI-PG50 2-Stroke Gasoline Aviation Engine
Designed for Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAV)

View attachment 630123
Developed through the superior design and manufacturing engineering capabilities, with the support of TUBITAK and technical infrastructure of TEI, and by utilization of national opportunities/facilities with maximum indigenousness, TEI-PG50 is a 2-stroke boxer type UAV gasoline engine, which is the first 2-stoke aviation engine of Turkey.

The TEI-PG50 engine for which the activities to proceed to the mass production stage continue at a rapid pace attracts attention with a maximum capacity of 50 (± 2) HP, as well as 30 (± 1) HP it generates at an altitude of 16.000 ft.

Standing out with higher power/weight ratio and the higher power it generates compared to that of the current UAV intended for similar purposes, as well as the rapid technical and logistic support features it offers through the injection and ignition systems and the electronic engine control system, TEI-PG50 performs Its flights by TEI's experimental platform successfully.

View attachment 630124

---
Possibility of it powering UAV weight class around 120kg

This is makes me happy

Probably for KARGI?

Besides the attack UAV, big mistake they make aexploration UAV.

This flir big mistakes for this projects.

dV3HJ8.png

Does TEI have manpower enough to develop multiple engines ? They seem to be working on a lot of engines....

Engine development in Turkey is a fascinating story. It seems like Turkish industry doesn't have much experience in designing engines, especially large engines for industrial applications, but they have so many impressive projects. TEI PD170 was believable since it was a small 170hp diesel engine, but a 1400ph turboshaft engine? That's really good IF the company manages to design & manufacture serviceable military-grade engines.

As far as I know even a Japanese company, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries which is a very reputable company in the field has tried to develop a domestic turboshaft engine with some help from the Japanese government, but even the company couldn't match performance and reliability of existing turboshaft engines. I believe the Japanese government rejected a domestic Attack helicopter (AH-2) with an improved domestic engine in favour of AH-64 Apache.

Engine development in Turkey is a fascinating story. It seems like Turkish industry doesn't have much experience in designing engines, especially large engines for industrial applications, but they have so many impressive projects. TEI PD170 was believable since it was a small 170hp diesel engine, but a 1400ph turboshaft engine? That's really good IF the company manages to design & manufacture serviceable military-grade engines.

As far as I know even a Japanese company, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries which is a very reputable company in the field has tried to develop a domestic turboshaft engine with some help from the Japanese government, but even the company couldn't match performance and reliability of existing turboshaft engines. I believe the Japanese government rejected a domestic Attack helicopter (AH-2) with an improved domestic engine in favour of AH-64 Apache.
But as far as I know they built a 5.gen fighter jet, just because they could. And are going to build a different 5.gen. Though I don’t know if the engine is domestic as well.

But as far as I know they built a 5.gen fighter jet, just because they could. And are going to build a different 5.gen. Though I don’t know if the engine is domestic as well.

Mitsubishi X-2 Shinshin is not a 5th gen fighter jet, but an experimental technology demonstrator with two domestic low-pass 11,000 lb turbofans engines (with afterburner) by IHI which is another reputable company in the industry. Even then, Japan had to receive high-pass turbofans engine technologies from the US for Mitsubishi & Lockheed Martin F-2 deal in exchange for Japanese AESA radar, materials technologies and other relevant stuffs that Japan had some technological edge over other countries. In order words, even Japan needed help from the US for turbofans engine and it costed Japan their knowledge in engineering, technical expertise and skills in other fields.

Yes, Japan is going to build a 5th gen stealth fighter jet. However, even a military journalist who has covered the Japanese military industry for years blasts the Japanese government for being too ambitious of developing every critical part including the turbofan engine.

"日本に最先端戦闘機開発の能力無し"
https://japan-indepth.jp/?p=51870

However, I still believe Japan has capabilities to design, manufacture and fly a 5th fighter jet because they have industries. I just think they would need to collaborate with the US, the UK and other countries on a greater scale.

Back to my point, this is why I am skeptical when some underdeveloped countries claim that they are going to build a full blown military grade airbreathing engine. They need to do it a step by step. TEI PD170 sounds like a great start. A small diesel engine that could be used in UAV. Turkey will get there, eventually, but a 1400hp turboshaft and other engine projects that could be used for military applications sound a bit too ambitious for Turkey. Then again, Turkey may surprise me in the future. They did with Anka, so why not?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom