What's new

Turkish Economy - News & Updates

What is the driving force behind Turkish Economic problem?

• The on going Trump attack on Turkish Economy

Votes: 29 19.9%
  • Jewish Agenda to weaken adjacent countries to Israel

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • Internal Turkish economic problems

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Falling Exports for Turkey

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Loss of Tourism income for Turkey

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • External Loans or Debt impacting Economy

Votes: 25 17.1%

• Total voters
I don't think this situation is going to last until 2023. If enough Parliamentarians resign, or switch parties it'll rock the governments foundation and they will be forced into reelection.

Once Deva Parti and Gelecek Parti is established firmly we may see people changing parties like covid-19 spreading. I especially hope MHP loses a lot of parliamentarians.

That is why they're working on changes to the law to prevent ppl from changing parties.
MHP deserves to be kicked out of parliament since it betrayed its movement base by becoming a islamist partys lackey instead of having own agenda.

Turkey’s purchase of Russian gas drops by 62% year-on-year
BY ANADOLU AGENCY
ANKARA ENERGY
JUL 30, 2020 10:55 PM GMT+3

Shutterstock File Photo

Turkey's natural gas imports from Russia in May 2020 fell by almost 62% compared to the same month of last year, official data showed.

The country's total gas imports in May decreased by 0.5% compared to the same period last year, according to the Turkish energy watchdog data released Wednesday.

Natural gas imports in May dropped to 2.67 billion cubic meters, compared to 2.68 billion cubic meters last May, Turkey's Energy Market Regulatory Authority (EMRA) said in its monthly natural gas market report.

In May 2020, the country imported 1.22 billion cubic meters of natural gas via pipelines, while 1.45 billion cubic meters were purchased as LNG, EMRA data showed. This marked a 44.6% drop in pipeline gas imports and a 205.5% increase in LNG imports.

Azerbaijan was Turkey's top gas supplier with 881 million cubic meters, followed by Qatar and Russia with 520 and 339 million cubic meters, respectively.

In May, Turkey's gas imports from Azerbaijan and Qatar grew respectively by 14.5% and 288%, while the volume of Russian imports fell by 62% compared to the same period of last year.

Consumption down 24.2%

Turkey's total gas consumption decreased by 24.2% to approximately 2.24 billion cubic meters this May, compared to 2.95 billion cubic meters in May last year.

Household consumption grew by 4.6% to 825 million cubic meters while the use of natural gas in power plants was down by 46.2% to 269 million cubic meters during the same period.

The amount of natural gas in storage in May increased by 36% to 2.15 billion cubic meters, from 1.58 billion cubic meters in May last year.

So how much did we pay in 2020 compared to 2019 in 1H ??

is it true that Turkey's foreign reserves are about to reach 0 and that Turkey will get bankrupt in August?

Germany lifts COVID-19 travel warning for some of Turkey’s top tourism destinations
BY DAILY SABAH WITH REUTERS
ISTANBUL TOURISM
AUG 04, 2020 6:27 PM GMT+3

People are seen on a beach in the Mediterranean resort city of Antalya, Turkey, Aug. 4, 2020. (IHA Photo)

Germany has lifted a warning against traveling to four Turkish seaside provinces with low coronavirus infection rates as part of a deal to help revive tourism between the two countries, the German government said Tuesday.

The German foreign ministry said it was dropping warnings against travel to tourism destinations such as Antalya, Izmir, Muğla and Aydın on the Mediterranean, where the coronavirus’s prevalence stood at only five new infections per 100,000 inhabitants over the course of a week.

"Turkey has developed a special concept of tourism and hygiene for these four regions in order to allow for safe tourism in line with the pandemic conditions," government spokeswoman Ulrike Demmer said in Berlin.

Turkey would also require all travelers leaving for Germany to show a negative coronavirus test taken within 48 hours before leaving, the ministry's statement added.

The German government had in June decided to lift its global travel warning only for EU member states and Schengen-associated countries – namely Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland – but extended it for all the other countries, including Turkey, until the end of August.

On the other hand, in a list unveiled in June, the EU decided to exclude Turkey, along with the U.S. and other countries, from a list of countries recommended for nonessential travel.

Ankara described the decisions as disappointing and had called on Germany and the bloc for a reversal, citing measures taken to combat the pandemic as well as its efforts and successes.

Some 3 million of Germany’s 80 million inhabitants have a Turkish ethnic background, while Turkey’s coasts have historically been among the most popular tourist destination for Germans of all ethnicities.

Last year, Turkey was the second most popular tourist destination for Germans after Spain, according to German Travel Association DRV. Nearly 5 million German tourists traveled to Turkey in 2019.

"One of Germans' favorite tourist destinations is partially open again," said DRV president Norbert Fiebig. "Good news not just for holidaymakers but also for the travel business."

First part is very interesting, "as part of a deal" not a "revision of travelban". Could it be that Oruc reis and the navtex was used to force Germany to give a "fair" review of Turkey as tourist destination.

@Bismarck can you find out the exact wording from German side, or are DS' lack of diplomatic skills proof of the deal ?

Germany lifts COVID-19 travel warning for some of Turkey’s top tourism destinations
BY DAILY SABAH WITH REUTERS
ISTANBUL TOURISM
AUG 04, 2020 6:27 PM GMT+3

People are seen on a beach in the Mediterranean resort city of Antalya, Turkey, Aug. 4, 2020. (IHA Photo)

Germany has lifted a warning against traveling to four Turkish seaside provinces with low coronavirus infection rates as part of a deal to help revive tourism between the two countries, the German government said Tuesday.

The German foreign ministry said it was dropping warnings against travel to tourism destinations such as Antalya, Izmir, Muğla and Aydın on the Mediterranean, where the coronavirus’s prevalence stood at only five new infections per 100,000 inhabitants over the course of a week.

"Turkey has developed a special concept of tourism and hygiene for these four regions in order to allow for safe tourism in line with the pandemic conditions," government spokeswoman Ulrike Demmer said in Berlin.

Turkey would also require all travelers leaving for Germany to show a negative coronavirus test taken within 48 hours before leaving, the ministry's statement added.

The German government had in June decided to lift its global travel warning only for EU member states and Schengen-associated countries – namely Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland – but extended it for all the other countries, including Turkey, until the end of August.

On the other hand, in a list unveiled in June, the EU decided to exclude Turkey, along with the U.S. and other countries, from a list of countries recommended for nonessential travel.

Ankara described the decisions as disappointing and had called on Germany and the bloc for a reversal, citing measures taken to combat the pandemic as well as its efforts and successes.

Some 3 million of Germany’s 80 million inhabitants have a Turkish ethnic background, while Turkey’s coasts have historically been among the most popular tourist destination for Germans of all ethnicities.

Last year, Turkey was the second most popular tourist destination for Germans after Spain, according to German Travel Association DRV. Nearly 5 million German tourists traveled to Turkey in 2019.

"One of Germans' favorite tourist destinations is partially open again," said DRV president Norbert Fiebig. "Good news not just for holidaymakers but also for the travel business."

First part is very interesting, "as part of a deal" not a "revision of travelban". Could it be that Oruc reis and the navtex was used to force Germany to give a "fair" review of Turkey as tourist destination.

@Bismarck can you find out the exact wording from German side, or are DS' lack of diplomatic skills proof of the deal ?
I don't trust the German government ...
either they do this to put the second wave in the shoes of the Turkish returnees after the Germans have been hanging around in the breeding grounds of covid19 (spain, italy and france) for months -

or they noticed that the german boycott had no effect because the english, russians and arab flooded turkey

I don't trust the German government ...
either they do this to put the second wave in the shoes of the Turkish returnees after the Germans have been hanging around in the breeding grounds of covid19 (spain, italy and france) for months -

or they noticed that the german boycott had no effect because the english, russians and arab flooded turkey
I don't think you read my own comments at the end of the article I shared.

I think this was a deal in return for postponing/cancelling the Navtex.

I don't think you read my own comments at the end of the article I shared.

I think this was a deal in return for postponing/cancelling the Navtex.
I read your comment but deliberately didn't go into it... because German tourists and Navtex do not play in the same league... the Turkish EEZ, combined with possible resources, weighs more than tourists from Germany... that's why I believe that there is one another reason...
unless it is only a small part of the whole deal made... then we have to wait to see what comes from Germany

https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/zynga-buys-istanbul-based-rollic-for-168-million-157164

So ppl are interested in short term gain and selling cashflow generating companies.

Btw Hurriyet Daily News:
upload_2020-8-6_10-21-51.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom