What's new

Turkish Aviation Programs

dUDYHuO.jpg

1- So nice to see T625 and TFX in TAI's portfolio like this
2- It is the first time I have seen TFX being referred to as TF. I thought it is kind of interesting.

DUBAI: TAI outlines 100-seat jet ambitions

• 13 NOVEMBER, 2017
  • SOURCE: FLIGHT DASHBOARD
  • BY: DOMINIC PERRY
  • DUBAI

Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) has unveiled ambitious plans for the launch of an all-composite regional airliner within five years as part of a decade-long masterplan.

However, the proposal floated by TAI chief executive Temel Kotil risks scuppering a separate Turkish regional aircraft programme being driven by US firm Sierra Nevada (SNC).

Speaking at the Dubai air show on 12 November, Kotil confirmed TAI's interest in the sector.

It is examining the potential for a "100-seat-plus" aircraft to be launched in around five years' time, once its existing development programmes have transitioned to serial production and the company has gained sufficient design expertise.

"At that time I'm planning to start a passenger aircraft programme, but not today – I am too busy with defence programmes," says Kotil.

"So there is no room for a passenger machine, but five years later in my hand I will have several hundred well-trained people. And that time, under 10-year masterplan, we will [start] the passenger aircraft also."

Describing it as a jet-powered "100-seat-plus" aircraft, made from "full composite" material – potentially thermoplastic, rather than thermoset – Kotil says it "should be more efficient than existing narrowbody aircraft, maybe as efficient as the 787 in terms of seat-kilometres".

He adds: "But this is future project and we cannot start before five years."

TAI's ambitions in the segment may spell the end for plans, outlined by SNC over the last two years, for the development of a family of Turkish-built regional aircraft.

SNC had proposed a dual-track approach to the market following its February 2015 acquisition of 328 Support Services, the type certificate holder for programmes under the Dornier 328 banner.

Under the plans, SNC – via its TRJet subsidiary – intended to develop modernised versions of the Do328 with both turboprop and jet engines.

It had gone so far as to select Pratt & Whitney Canada as the engine supplier, as well as taking orders for about 60 examples, with deliveries due from 2019.

Further out, it would bring to market a clean-sheet aircraft with 50-70 seats for service entry in around 2023.

However, despite much publicity at the 2016 Farnborough air show, there has been little information about the project since.

Speculation suggests that the Turkish government has since revised its approach to the segment.

TAI had been approached as a potential partner for the effort, but was never officially signed up.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/dubai-tai-outlines-100-seat-jet-ambitions-443188/

DUBAI: TAI targets global market with new attack helicopters, trainers

• 13 NOVEMBER, 2017
  • SOURCE: FLIGHTGLOBAL.COM
  • BY: LEIGH GIANGRECO
  • DUBAI

TAI’s chief executive expects at least eight different aircraft types will roll off its production line in the next five years, a move that could turn the Turkish aircraft manufacturer into an international player.

Along with its ongoing T129 attack helicopter programme, TAI has several development programmes in the works, including its Anka unmanned air vehicle, T625 intermediate twin-engined helicopter and Hürkuş trainer.

More recently, TAI has unveiled its advanced trainer and light attack concept, the Hurjet, and plans to make a decision early next year on the engine for its indigenous fifth-generation aircraft, TF-X. TAI is also working on the ATAK 2, a heavier variant of its T129, as well as a 10t general purpose helicopter.

“This will be enough income to turn us into a global player,” TAI chief executive Temel Kotil told FlightGlobal at the Dubai air show on 12 November.

Although TAI has solid ambitions in the commercial market with the T625, Kotil says he is very busy with the company’s defence focus. TAI had explored a joint venture with Sierra Nevada to build a jet for the US Air Force’s T-X trainer recapitalisation, but the two companies did not submit for the tender, Kotil says. That has not swayed the company from trying to beef up its global presence, as its slew of new defence aircraft appears to indicate.

The Hurjet trainer programme, began in 2010 and is based on TAI’s Hürkuş, is already inching towards production, with first flight slated for 2022. TAI has not yet decided on a single or twin engine for the supersonic jet, Kotil says.

TAI’s other fast-track defence programme is a heavier attack helicopter, larger than the T129, that will leverage the engine and transmission from the T625 but will have a fresh airframe design.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...gets-global-market-with-new-attack-he-443205/

Turkey’s TAI signs civil aviation deal with Russia’s Irkut
  • ANKARA
    5a0965c5d3806c806838fbad.jpg

Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Russian company Irkut on a strategic cooperation venture, TAI said on Nov. 13.

“According to the agreement which was signed, the two companies will implement joint design and production in the field of civil aviation,” it said in a statement.

The MoU was signed on the sidelines of the Dubai Air Show, which is being held on Nov. 12-16.

Pursuing a diversification strategy, Irkut Corporation develops and manufactures the МС-21 short/mid-range airliner family for the needs of civil aviation, according to data from the company’s website.

Meanwhile, for the first time in Dubai, TAI’s T129 ATAK Advanced Attack and Tactical Reconnaissance Helicopter will be showing its performance on the first three days of the exhibition, according to a previous TAI statement.

Until now, the T129 ATAK has been successfully deployed for several tests and demonstrations in various locations in the world including Turkey, Poland, Pakistan, Germany, Italy, South Africa, Bahrain and the United Kingdom, according to the statement.

It says "joint design and production in civil aviation" that is all I know but I think this maybe regarding the 100 seat jet plan of TAI
But wasn't the regional jet based on the Dornier already?
Well will see somedays..;but I don't really think it's for a new aircraft...but mostly in specific parts of it... Since if it was for the big thing... I will be suprised this news will get only few words and a MoU around 2 small tables in a corner...

But wasn't the regional jet based on the Dornier already?
That was SNC 's project. According to Kotil TAI is following a project of its own. It is highly likely that SNC project is cancelled.
You are on to something there, but keep in mind that Kotil wants to launch the project after 5 years, so wjat we are seeing here maybr just planting a seedling for cooperation.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom