What's new

Turkey to limit sales of alcohol

Medic2

New Recruit

Reaction score
"The Turkish parliament has approved controversial legislation to restrict the sale and advertising of alcohol.

The Islamist-rooted ruling AK party says the law will protect the population, particularly young people, from the harmful effects of alcohol.

Critics say it is a new move to impose an Islamic agenda on a secular, though predominantly Muslim, country.

The law bans the sale of alcoholic drinks between 22:00 and 06:00 and bans producers from sponsoring events.

To take effect, the law must be signed by President Abdullah Gul, but the politician - a member of the ruling AKP - is expected to do so soon.

Diageo Plc, the world's largest distiller of alcoholic beverages, has expressed concern about the legislation.

In 2011, Diageo bought Mey Icki, a producer of the traditional Turkish spirit raki, for $2.1bn (£1.7bn).

It said this week it had bought the company in the belief it was investing in a country "that encouraged foreign investment".
Continue reading the main story
“
Start Quote

This is not a struggle against the ills of alcohol but an attempt to redesign the society according to their [AK party] beliefs and lifestyle”
Musa Cam
Opposition MP
'Drink yoghurt'

In other points of the new law
Alcohol sales will be prohibited within 100 metres (yards) of mosques and schools
Images of alcoholic drinks will have to be blurred on television - something that is already done for cigarettes
There will be stricter penalties for drink-driving, with drunken drivers with a blood alcohol level above 0.1% facing up to two years' imprisonment
All liquor bottles will have to display warning signs about the harm of alcohol

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who does not drink or smoke, said recently that ayran, a non-alcoholic yoghurt drink, was the "national drink" of the Turks.

AKP politician Lutfu Elva, head of the planning and budget commission, defended the law, saying similar restrictions were in place in Scandinavian countries.

But Musa Cam, an MP from the main opposition party, the CHP, said: "No one can be forced to drink or not to drink. This is a religious and ideological imposition."

Quoted in an article in Turkish newspaper Hurriyet, he said: "This is not a struggle against the ills of alcohol but an attempt to redesign the society according to their [AK party] beliefs and lifestyle."

Hasip Kaplan, a Kurdish MP, warned the law would hurt tourism, which "can't recover easily once collapsed", the state-run Anatolia news agency reports."

The source is from the BBC website. I dont have enough posts to provide a link just yet.

Either way, Erdogan strikes again. Get ready for global isolation and Sharia law within the next decade or so. Fingers crossed for the military to grow its teeth back and point this country in the right direction again.

Well, we knew this day was coming.
Ugh...

Happy ayran nights!

By the way, most of the western countries like USA has restrictions on alcohol but what is ironing is ayran way of logic! This guy (ayran man) has decided to manage Turkey based on the quotes from his grandma!

Since this was an action driven by pure ideology under the usual, pathetic disguise of "protecting the youth", no matter how many Western country has similar laws, it deserves every bit of attention and criticisms it gets.

dude you cannot buy Alcohol in NY after 18:00hrs to 10:00hrs and you cannot advertise tobbaco and ALcohol or sponser events here in NY, SO i dont know why people are being islamophobe and mentioning Sharia LAW

alcohol is the Leading cause of Deaths in america and Domestic abuse and Crimes.... it has nothing to do with religion its just Being Smart............

I mean look at India all the rapes Happened were 90% commited by drunk people, 99% of Auto accidents death are alcohol related

GEEZZZZZZZZZZ LUEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Grow up people

dude you cannot buy Alcohol in NY after 18:00hrs to 10:00hrs and you cannot advertise tobbaco and ALcohol or sponser events here in NY, SO i dont know why people are being islamophobe and mentioning Sharia LAW

alcohol is the Leading cause of Deaths in america and Domestic abuse and Crimes.... it has nothing to do with religion its just Being Smart............

I mean look at India all the rapes Happened were 90% commited by drunk people, 99% of Auto accidents death are alcohol related

GEEZZZZZZZZZZ LUEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Grow up people

But the logic Erdogan proposed was almost anti-secular not pro-social!

But the logic Erdogan proposed was almost anti-secular not pro-social!
Man here a logic which is anti-secular not pro-social Are not gay churches Considered Oxy-moron Becuase in Bible is clearly against it but then again YOu have Gay churches etc..........

Man here a logic which is anti-secular not pro-social Are not gay churches Considered Oxy-moron Becuase in Bible is clearly against it but then again YOu have Gay churches etc..........

What is the relation of secularism and ... ?

Hmm... so if I may... first flight attendants new uniforms, now this! What's going to happen next?

a secular country??:what:
can't figure out the connection between alcohol sales and secularism, give me a hand..

I didnt like it but people exaggerate this more than its limit. Law forbids alcohol sales after 22:00 only in buffets/markets.. I define myself as a drinker, i live 300 mt. from beach and as you will imagine thats always awesome drink with friends under the moonlight against waves.. soothing.. die hard for me.. Get some beer before 22:00 thats all.. Like a Turkish saying, "not everyone using fking mouth to drink it".. A positive side of this, pub&bar owners will make more money, no problem to drink in those places..

Back
Top Bottom