dBSPL

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Turkey insists on demilitarization of islands
turkish_frigate_ship_AP.jpg

[Turkish Defense Ministry via AP]
Manolis Kostidis
Reiterating that Greece must demilitarize its islands, Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar has taken issue with official celebrations over the weekend on nearby Chios and Samos, calling them a “provocation.”

Speaking to Turkey’s Milliyet newspaper, Akar also claimed that the 1923 Lausanne Treaty states there are 23 islands that cannot be militarized and that 16 of them are.
His remarks followed a Turkish Defense Ministry post on Twitter of a video showing cadets swimming to the Turkish islets of Tuzla, a distance similar to that from Turkey to Greece’s southeastern Aegean island of Kastellorizo. On December 24, Akar challenged Greece’s maritime zone around Kastellorizo, saying it is located just 1,950 meters away. “A cadet at the military academy can swim to it,” he said.

Also on Monday, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Turkey is questioning the sovereignty of the islands that have been militarized.

I was thinking of posting a thread about it these days,but I remembered you had accused me of posting a lot about Turkey.
However,I see you've been focusing on Greece a lot lately.

I was thinking of posting a thread about it these days,but I remembered you had accused me of posting a lot about Turkey.
However,I see you've been focusing on Greece a lot lately.

Everything related to Turkish geopolitics is in my area of interest. Have you ever seen me trolling about an issue that is not related to Turkey but only to Greece? But I've seen you many times, man.

A current issue, a current news. The news source is Greek, but the content is about Turkey. Moreover, I have no disrespect towards Greece. I do not share any fake content. The reason why I chose the sources from the Greek side is that I do not have any propaganda purpose. Although there are many statements in the content that I do not agree with, I try to reflect this to you from a Greek point of view. Beyond that, the only thing I could do would be to shut up completely. I'm sure you don't mean that. However, Turkey and Greece are each other's one of most important neighbours and they already have many common issues. If you allow, I believe it will be beneficial for the forum to share some of them here.

Last edited:
Dangerous move by Greece, if they are alone without any other country backing them they will be in deep trouble. Turkey military is no level with Greece. They shouldn’t rely on EU helping just incase they step back and it ends as just the two countries face to face.

Everything related to Turkish geopolitics is in my area of interest.
But when I do that,you and a few others rush to say I constantly "post on posts about Turkey". I only engaged in silly posts against MMM-E because I was replying to him the way he posts,out of frustration. The rest,I've replied to in a serious manner.

Anyway,I was thinking of posting about this too. Apparently Cavusoglu has stated if we do not "demilitarize" the islands,Turkey will claim them. Right now at this moment,the news are showing Bahceli threatening to paint the Aegean with blood. Forget Bahceli though.

This isn't "good neighborhood" either,the irony being Akar and Cavusoglu constantly accusing us of not seeing Turkey as a "neighbor".

Dangerous move by Greece, if they are alone without any other country backing them they will be in deep trouble. Turkey military is no level with Greece. They shouldn’t rely on EU helping just incase they step back and it ends as just the two countries face to face.
What exactly is the dangerous move?

First of all, when we talk about the militarization of Greek islands, the reader must understand that we have three different cases....
  • Lemnos, Samothrace, Imbros (Gökçeada), Tenedos (Bozcaada) and Lagouses/
    Mavries/Rabbit Islands (Tavsanadalar)
  • Lesvos, Chios, Samos and Ikaria
  • The Dodecanese islands
But the question is: Why does Greece have an army on its islands? Is there any threat to the Greek islands from Turkey?
Yes there is, and the example of invasion of the Cyprus is not the only one.

First threat came from the sea, and is the Amphibious Marine Brigade (Amfibi Deniz Piyade Tugayı), also known as Amphibious Commando ( Amfibi Komando), is the marine corps unit of the Turkish Naval Forces based in Phocaea near Smyrna , facing Lesvos island, where they exist three amphibious battalions, an MBT battalion, an artillery battalion, a support battalion and other company-sized units.
Has been founded in 1966!!!!
At the base we could clearly see at least 35 landing craft.
All the above composed the so called 4th Army, is not included in NATO planning, the Fourth Army covers the western Turkish coasts as well as the occupied lands of the Republic of Cyprus.

Second threat came from the air, are the 2nd Land Aviation Regiment (Erhaç Airport, Malatya) and 3rd Land Aviation Regiment (Gaziemir Air Base, Smyrna), with the about 100 transport helicopters (S-70A17/19 Blackhawk and AS-532UL Cougar) as also and the 35 attack helicopters (T-129 ATAK, AH-1P Cobra).

All the above turkish military units are facing the Greek islands.
Which we imagine are not going to land in Indonesia, Australia, Syria, France etc.
The Turkish military threat is real, so, what is threatened is not demilitarized.

Last edited:
FMIHkQGXwAQDRL-

Turkish Minister of National Defense: "Your weaponization is excessive& completely unnecessary for Greece's regular defense needs. For use against Turkiye, however, it is far too little& unmistakably insufficient".

FMIHkQGXwAQDRL-

Turkish Minister of National Defense: "Your weaponization is excessive& completely unnecessary for Greece's regular defense needs. For use against Turkiye, however, it is far too little& unmistakably insufficient".
Regional superpower Turkey is afraid of small garrisons? I thought you guys can take Athens in 3 hours if you attack. What's the matter?

Regional superpower Turkey is afraid of small garrisons? I thought you guys can take Athens in 3 hours if you attack. What's the matter?

Relations between states are not like the relationships of high school lovers.

Relations between states are not like the relationships of high school lovers.
You really can't answer my question,can you?

If our armament does not threaten Turkey then why does Akar care?
Greece buying 24 Rafale and ordering 3 FDI HN frigates is bad,but Turkey building hundreds of drones,more Istanbul class ships,TF-2000,aircraft carriers,submarines,landing ships,MIUS,TFX,ballistic missiles,artillery, more AA systems,attack helicopters,vehicles etc. is ok?

Greece buying 24 Rafale and ordering 3 FDI HN frigates is bad,but Turkey building hundreds of drones,more Istanbul class ships,TF-2000,aircraft carriers,submarines,landing ships,MIUS,TFX,ballistic missiles,artillery, more AA systems,attack helicopters,vehicles etc. is ok?

It is illegal to militarize the Meis island according to the laws, if you look at a map you will se how close this island is to Turkiye just 2km.

It is illegal to militarize the Meis island according to the laws, if you look at a map you will se how close this island is to Turkiye just 2km.
Turkish newspaper Hurriyet published photos of Turkish ATAK helicopters over Kas, which is a stone’s throw from Kastellorizo at the summer of 2020.
And if Greece did not want to militarize the islands, Turkey gives every day a reason to do so.

heli2-768x432.jpg

heli1-768x432.jpg

Turkish newspaper Hurriyet published photos of Turkish ATAK helicopters over Kas, which is a stone’s throw from Kastellorizo at the summer of 2020.
And if Greece did not want to militarize the islands, Turkey gives every day a reason to do so.

heli2-768x432.jpg

heli1-768x432.jpg

Are you kidding? It's inside Mavi Vatan, the "Blue Homeland"

And how to do it, when every year his country does annual Amphibious and Air Assault operations(EFES drill) for how to invading and occupying islands.
Islands of course not of Italy, France or Australia, but of Greece.

15.jpg

33048_TUR180510EFES2018_1526013039993.JPG

2-4-Bild-4.jpg

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom