What's new

Turkey and US in critical talks over fate of missile shield plan

Hasbara Buster

Reaction score

Top Turkish and US officials held talks in Brussels on the sidelines of a NATO meeting on Thursday, discussing Washington's plans to move forward with a missile defense system plan that Ankara insists should not intimidate its Middle East neighbors.

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu and Defense Minister Vecdi Gönül met with their US counterparts -- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates -- a few hours after NATO's secretary-general urged member states to endorse a proposed anti-missile system that would protect Europe and North America. NATO is proposing to expand an existing system of battlefield missile defense to cover the territory of all alliance members against ballistic missiles from nations such as Iran and North Korea. NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has proposed that Russia also join the project, thus creating a network that would stretch from “Vancouver to Vladivostok.”

“The threat is clear, the capability exists and the costs are manageable,” Rasmussen said in his opening remarks at the rare joint meeting of defense and foreign ministers of the alliance. “Starting today, NATO is in the sprint to the summit. The decisions we take in the next two weeks will shape the future of the world's most successful alliance.” The US supports the missile defense proposal. But some governments have taken a dim view of the proposed anti-missile defense plan, citing high costs and saying the system cannot fulfill the role of a robust nuclear deterrent. For its part, Turkey has made it clear that it would approve such a plan only if it was convinced that there was a concrete threat against all NATO members, or at least a perceived threat among all NATO members.

Still, US Defense Secretary Gates sounded optimistic, while speaking to reporters on Wednesday on board of a plane en route from Hanoi, Vietnam, to Brussels.

Gates said he believed broad support existed for the phased, adaptive approach to missile defense in Europe that calls for increasingly capable sea-and-land-based missile interceptors and a range of sensors to defend against the ballistic missile threat from Iran.

Nonetheless, rather than broad-based support, Turkey is seeking a unanimous agreement over such plans. “One is not smaller than the 27,” is Ankara’s customary motto when speaking about NATO issues, in an apparent reference to unanimity voting, which has been a cornerstone of the 28-member consensus-based alliance.

“The linkage with national missile defense, so that both territories and populations are covered, is really more a matter of software -- of connecting the command and control of the different national capabilities,” Gates said. That would require only a modest financial outlay beyond what already had been approved -- perhaps 85 million to 150 million euros over 10 years, he said.

In addition to consensus, Ankara also wants any planned missile-defense system to protect its entire territory, not provide partial protection. Ankara also wants the system to have a “deterrent” characteristic and fiercely opposes naming of a particular country as a threat against the alliance.

Ankara’s fierce opposition to such naming is essentially related to potential harm to its growing ties with its neighbors such as Iran. Over the past decade, Ankara has been pro-actively engaged in a “zero-problem” policy with its neighbors, the wider Middle East and post-Soviet countries.

Only a few days before the summit in Brussels, a senior US defense official said Turkey would attend a NATO meeting in Brussels on Thursday and the NATO Lisbon Summit in November, where it would have to face at least two issues.

The first was Turkey’s vote on NATO’s missile defense capability in Turkey, and the second was what kind of role Turkey wanted in this, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for European and NATO Policy James Townsend told reporters on Tuesday.

Townsend said Turkey’s decision would impact many items on the national agenda, adding that Turks were thinking very hard about this.

“As we talk to Turkey, there is a realization in Ankara of the importance of missile defense systems as a concept and this is not something Turks are thinking of beyond the grasp of the alliance,” he said, and stressed that the Turks did realize the security threat the alliance faced and that this was something NATO must grapple with.

The former US administration designed a plan in 2007 to deploy missile defense sites in Poland and the Czech Republic, but Obama had to scrap that plan in order please the Kremlin. Washington had said the anti-missile system would defend against a threat from Iran, but Moscow views it as upsetting the strategic balance between Russian and Western nuclear forces.

US President Barack Obama approved a plan last year that included the deployment of increasingly capable sea-and-land-based missile interceptors and a range of sensors to Europe to defend against the growing ballistic missile threat from Iran. The new Obama plan would deploy systems designed to shoot down short and medium-range missiles, with construction to begin, in phases, around 2011. Systems to counter longer-range missiles would be in place around 2020.

“A general approach that is embraced by all NATO members should emerge on this issue,” Turkish diplomatic sources told Today’s Zaman on Wednesday. While admitting that US officials had been talking to the Turkish side regarding the issue of deciding who would be willing to host missile defense systems, a source elaborated: “We would be reluctant if the threat is perceived by some NATO members and not by others, the Czech Republic or Poland for example. Turkey would say OK to an increase in NATO members’ security in general, but a widely accepted framework should be agreed on for perceiving such a threat.”

The truth is that the West and NATO (North Atlantic Terrorist Organization) are a huge threat to Iran's national security. Iran can never be a threat to the the West, even if they wanted (the west knows this very well). The aim here is to weaken Turkish-Iranian relations and Turkey and Russia's influence in the region. This is western imperialism. Turkey and Russia wil be the losers here.

The truth is that the West and NATO (North Atlantic Terrorist Organization) are a huge threat to Iran's national security. Iran can never be a threat to the the West, even if they wanted (the west knows this very well). The aim here is to weaken Turkish-Iranian relations and Turkey and Russia's influence in the region. This is western imperialism. Turkey and Russia wil be the losers here.
I won't be so sure about that. Iran has long-range missiles in its inventory and in a rush to create more and better ones. And that has a potential to create instability in the region. Non-existence of stability equals to no oil, and that is the heart of economy. If the weather is cloudy, I suspect it's gonna rain.For precaution, I prefer to carry an umbrella just in case.

I won't be so sure about that. Iran has long-range missiles in its inventory and in a rush to create more and better ones. And that has a potential to create instability in the region. Non-existence of stability equals to no oil, and that is the heart of economy. If the weather is cloudy, I suspect it's gonna rain.For precaution, I prefer to carry an umbrella just in case.
I totally disagree. Why should Israel be allowed to have missiles and every type of weapon they desire - including nuclear weapons - but not Iran? Iran becoming stronger will actually benefit the entire region. The time has come to end Zionist hegemony once and for all. If there is going to be a war in the region, it will (as always) be instigated by Israel, not by Iran. Israel is the danger and destablizing factor, not Iran.

I totally disagree. Why should Israel be allowed to have missiles and every type of weapon they desire - including nuclear weapons - but not Iran? Iran becoming stronger will actually benefit the entire region. The time has come to end Zionist hegemony once and for all. If there is going to be a war in the region, it will (as always) be instigated by Israel, not by Iran. Israel is the danger and destablizing factor, not Iran.
I kinda wonder why Arabs fear and hate Iran, but only hate Israel.. Israel is like a mother bird who does everything in its power to protect its children without moral borders. But ideology of current Iran regime is not only provocative but also has a ability to create internal conflicts. At the end of the day, Iran will do anything to become a regional power. Just because our trade volume is risen dramatically in the past years doesn't mean we are in best terms. 10 years from now Turkey's relationship with Iran can change and we need to be ready for anything. You can't just flip your fingers and hope for the best.

Israel is not protecting or defending, they have never accepted the international consensus; a two-state solution. Norman Finkelstein has written excellent books on this topic (if you're interested).

As for Turkey, I sure hope we will become a nuclear state too. As long as Israel has them it's inevitable. We can't allow this small and nuclear-armed rogue state to remain the bully of the region. We need stability and economic integration in the Middle East, which is currently not possible because of Israel.

Last edited:
To me this decision seems like a crucial juncture for Turkey. A 'no' vote by Turkey in regards to the missile defense shield could be seen by the west as another step away from western alliances.

Any for/against arguments by forum members in regards to this issue?

Israel is not protecting or defending, they have never accepted the international consensus; a two-state solution. Norman Finkelstein has written excellent books on this topic (if you're interested).

As for Turkey, I sure hope we will become a nuclear state too. As long as Israel has them it's inevitable. We can't allow this small and nuclear-armed rogue state to remain the bully of the region. We need stability and economic integration in the Middle East, which is currently not possible because of Israel.

It were the best for the whole middle Eastern Region when none of the States in the Region have Nuclear Weapons, this should also include Israel. When Turkey will bwcome a Nuclear Power, Greece, Armenia and Bulgaria will also follow ! Turkey is in a sensitive Region which is souroundet by Conflicts, here I list some examples:

Bulgaria - turkish Minority
Aegean - dispute with Greece over terretorial Waters
Cyprus - unsolved Conflict over the Island
Berg Karabagh - Conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
Northern Iraq - kurdish Speratism
Caucasus - there are many Conflicts like Chechenya, Georgia, Dagestan etc.

Some of these Conflicts can probably led to a regional Nuclear Exchange when Turkey enter in war to a nuclear Exchange.

Turkey must not become Nuclear Power to change the strategic Balance in the middle East. The Defence Industry of Turkey is growing Corvettes, FAC, ASHM, Air Defnce Missiles, Stand - Off Weapons are in Development or Built. Turkey can offer these Weapons by Transfer of Technology to Arab States, this will change the Balance of Power in long Term !

There is no need to have it's own nuclear Weapons or to Support Organisation label'd as "Terrorist". When Turkey goes this way, then Turkey Change the Balance of Power and will not make it's Fingers Dirty !

I may agree with some of your points, but I don't agree about "terrorist organizations". Hizbullah is definitely not a terrorist organization and we have no right to label them as such. Supporting them is of course another issue.

I may agree with some of your points, but I don't agree about "terrorist organizations". Hizbullah is definitely not a terrorist organization and we have no right to label them as such. Supporting them is of course another issue.
True. Without getting into specifics of Hezbollah organization, it's very vague today to call a group as terrorist organisation thanks to some countries. We must also acknowledge though, an organisation may commit terrorist acts even if it's not one in core. It sounds confusing but that's the time we live in I guess.

I hope Turkiye will not agree this offer... Unfortunately puppet akp government will agree this, no doubt !!! As everyone knows, These systems not only for Iran and N.Korea. The real aim is Russia.

I hope Turkiye will not agree this offer... Unfortunately puppet akp government will agree this, no doubt !!! As everyone knows, These systems not only for Iran and N.Korea. The real aim is Russia.

Whatever that is, it will damage our relations with every country in the region...

We just cant accept this offer to protect US' affairs while we dont even have a high altitude air defence syestem like S300 to protect our own lands and our own people

Whatever that is, it will damage our relations with every country in the region...

We just cant accept this offer to protect US' affairs while we dont even have a high altitude air defence syestem like S300 to protect our own lands and our own people

Our tender is taking too long. We are suppose to decide at the start of next year. We really need Advanced SAMs.

salam
Brother what your opinion if Americans offer patriot system(that cover the whole Turk territory) for this ABM system(shield).

Our tender is taking too long. We are suppose to decide at the start of next year. We really need Advanced SAMs.

Funny thing is, our media thinks this syestems are nothing but waste of money :)

salam
Brother what your opinion if Americans offer patriot system(that cover the whole Turk territory) for this ABM system(shield).

Americans already offer patriot in our tender. we have to decide between S300 S400 and Patriot Pac3 syestems but as jigs said its taking too much time...

But, I doubt Patriot can stop kind of ballistic missiles that considered, Missile shield is a much different thing it can stop the long range missiles out of atmosphere...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom