What's new

Tunisia Lifts Ban on Muslim Women Marrying non-Muslims

Hassan_Ishtiaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Tunisia has overturned a law that banned women from marrying non-Muslims.

A spokeswoman for President Beji Caid Essebsi made the announcement and congratulated women on gaining "the freedom to choose one's spouse".

Until now, a non-Muslim man who wished to marry a Tunisian Muslim woman had to convert to Islam and submit a certificate of his conversion as proof.

Tunisia, which is 99% Muslim, is viewed as one of the most progressive Arab countries in terms of women's rights.

The new law comes after President Essebsi pushed for the lifting of the marriage restriction decree that was put in place in 1973.

He said in a speech last month, during celebrations of the National Women's day, that the marriage law was "an obstacle to the freedom of choice of the spouse".

The restriction was also seen as violating Tunisia's constitution which was adopted in 2014 in the wake of the Arab Spring revolution.

Human rights groups in Tunisia had also campaigned for the law's abolition.

The order comes into force immediately and couples are free to register their marriages at government offices.

_76020974_line976.jpg

An important milestone
Rana Jawad, BBC News, Tunis

Many Tunisians see the removal of the marriage restriction as another landmark in guaranteeing women's freedom in the country.

It sets apart Tunisia as the first country in the Middle East and North Africa to remove the legal hurdles to marrying outside the official state religion.

It is an important milestone in a region where religion in marital ties can be at the heart of many a family feud, and long struggles against state laws.

Unlike Muslim women, men can marry non-Muslim women without providing any religious documents.

Tunisia is also home to a Jewish, as well as a small Christian, minority and it is not entirely clear how the marriage restriction applied to them.

Scrapping the decree may not do away with the cultural and traditional obstacles women face with their families in cases of inter-faith marriage, but it now offers Tunisian women greater freedom of choice from a legal perspective.

_76020974_line976.jpg

In July, the Tunisian parliament also introduced a new law that abolished a clause that allowed rapists to escape any punishment if they married their victims.

The country banned polygamy as far back as 1956, setting it apart from other Muslim-majority nations.

However, women in Tunisia still face discrimination, particularly in matters of inheritance which still prioritises sons over daughters.

The Tunisian Association of Democratic Women estimates that nearly 70% of Tunisian women are victims of abuse.

Amnesty International reported last year that there were few signs to show that things had improved for women since the Arab Spring revolution in 2010.

@HannibalBarca @war&peace @dsr478 @Ocean @EgyptianAmerican

I appreciate Beji Caid Essebsi & the Tunisian President for the historic move. Way to go Tunisia. I share my happiness & delight for the women of Tunisia. Any country which respect women & give equal rights are bound to progress. My best wishes. God Bless.

That's a stupid move. A Muslim woman cannot marry a non-Muslim. @django @Maarkhoor @PakSword
You are correct. The move is UnIslamic that the Tunisian government did.

I appreciate Beji Caid Essebsi & the Tunisian President for the historic move. Way to go Tunisia. I share my happiness & delight for the women of Tunisia. Any country which respect women & give equal rights are bound to progress. My best wishes. God Bless.
For an idiot like yourself, you feel happy whenever anything UnIslamic happens.

Bug off, this has nothing to do with you.

Absolutely outrageous move, even with the religious ruling removed, why would anyone be a cuck that allows their women to marry men of a completely different culture?

You are correct. The move is UnIslamic that the Tunisian government did.

For an idiot like yourself, you feel happy whenever anything UnIslamic happens.

I feel happy because the women have got the freedom to make their choices & decisions about life.

Yes for a religiously plagued person like you, it will be disheartening. You must be enjoying bullying & controlling your wife, daughter & ladies. I am hoping to get visa to Canada one day, just so I can track you down & get you deported from the country. Canada doesn't need such narrow minded radical cun.ts. I feel if you have daughter, she will definitely disown Islam due to your narrow mind.

Anyway This will slowly happen in other countries too. I feel Indonesia, Turkey & Malaysia will in coming years pass this law.

Bug off, this has nothing to do with you.

Absolutely outrageous move, even with the religious ruling removed, why would anyone be a cuck that allows their women to marry men of a completely different culture?

Don't have to bother about my comment or quote if you don't like my post.

If men can marry completely different culture, so can a woman.

Wth ..
A true muslim woman would never marry a non muslim men unless he accepts islam .

Anyway , their country their rules .
Hope it'll be not included in religious teachings of Islam .

Don't have to bother about my comment or quote if you don't like my post.

If men can marry completely different culture, so can a woman.

No, because men pretty much almost always dominate the family. If the father decides he wants his son to be a non Muslim like him, he'll be able to relatively easily due to his position of power. He will also be able to enforce his ideology onto his wife. Therefore, we do not permit our women to marry men of different religions. It isn't misogynistic, it's the way things work.

In quran its is instructed that a muslim woman should not marry a mushrik , now if she ever chooses to marry him i dont know whether nikah will be valid or not this thing isnt clear.

What i believe is that quran clearly tells not to marry non muslims. Which is now a woman or mans personal decision if they follow it or not and by disobeying they displease Allah. That is their personal amal. So i think two consenting adults should not be stopped from marrying by state IMO .

I mean i totally agree islamic ruling of not marrying a non muslim but what i am saying is this is a matter between Allah and his people , state should NOT have a right to decide peoples choice of partners.

And Pakistan should also allow this move. Cause when you are in love it gets hard sometimes to hold back so instead of engaging in adultery atleast a socially accepted bond is better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom