What's new

Tripura lifts AFSPA as insurgency declines

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi, May 28 (ANI): In a landmark decision, the Tripura state government has decided to withdraw the controversial Armed Forces Special Power Act (AFSPA) from the remaining areas of the state.

As per reports, the latest half-yearly review by the police found no need to extend the Act any further.

The state will now move the Union Home Ministry for formal withdrawal of AFSPA.

The Act was implemented in 40 police station areas of the state in February, 1997. With declining insurgency, the administration, in June 2013 had earlier withdrawn the Act from nine police stations. (ANI)

Very good news for Tripura

May Irom Chanu Sharmila break her fast for ever!!

@Rain Man @SrNair @SRP @gslv @levina @Blue_Eyes @Guynextdoor2 @Abingdonboy @wolfschanzze @Mike_Brando @Capt.Popeye @WAR-rior @Koovie and others your views please. After a long time wishes of Manipur people have been fulfilled. Bad or good???

Thanks to GOI to bring back Democracy in Tripura.......................AFSA is not acceptable in Democracy............ Accountability should be there.

What is the ground position in Tripura as far as security situation goes?
I hope government has given good thought before taking such a decision and this is not based on populism.
Let Tripura be an example for other north-eastern states, and kashmir.
I think Kashmir would take some more time.

New Delhi, May 28 (ANI): In a landmark decision, the Tripura state government has decided to withdraw the controversial Armed Forces Special Power Act (AFSPA) from the remaining areas of the state.

As per reports, the latest half-yearly review by the police found no need to extend the Act any further.

The Act was implemented in 40 police station areas of the state in February, 1997. With declining insurgency, the administration, in June 2013 had earlier withdrawn the Act from nine police stations. (ANI)

@Rain Man @SrNair @SRP @gslv @levina @Blue_Eyes @Guynextdoor2 @Abingdonboy @wolfschanzze @Mike_Brando @Capt.Popeye @WAR-rior @Koovie and others your views please. After a long time wishes of Manipur people have been fulfilled. Bad or good???

They should amend the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 by inserting a new provision in respect of North Eastern States so as to provide for provisions contained in Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act. as per the MHA committee report - Revoking AFSPA fully isn't feasible until insurgency is wiped out from the entire north-east.

Though I feel very happy for Irom Sharmila - she has been fasting since 2000 demanding repeal of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), 1958, in Manipur. Her fast and police custody would finally end and she will lead a happy life like all of us!

zzirombig.jpg

That's a great news, but I am also a bit worried about anti-insurgency operations. A law like AFSPA doesn't have any place in democracy as far as the people are following it.
I think one day India will become a true democracy with people casting votes to good leaders, not on the basis of cast and religion but on the basis of their work for country and society.
Hope is alive that the government will work towards complete education and employment and one day we will become a true democracy.

By the way, this news brought a big smile on my face. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

This is an indicator of progress and will ensue hope.

you

forgot me :sniper::guns::raise:

They should amend the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 by inserting a new provision in respect of North Eastern States so as to provide for provisions contained in Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act. as per the MHA committee report - Revoking AFSPA fully isn't feasible until insurgency is wiped out from the entire north-east.

Though I feel very happy for Irom Sharmila - she has been fasting since 2000 demanding repeal of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), 1958, in Manipur. Her fast and police custody would finally end and she will lead a happy life like all of us!

zzirombig.jpg

She will eat happily from today:nana::chilli:

As an north eastern I really welcome the news. :cheers: It has been a long time coming. I hope with improving security scenario AFSPA act will be lifted in all northeastern states. @thesolar65 Eron Sharmila will not break her fast till AFSPA is lifted from rest of northeast or Manipur for that matter. :(

]@thesolar65[/USER] Eron Sharmila will not break her fast till AFSPA is lifted from rest of northeast or Manipur for that matter. :(

Any link where she says that? Btw, I am happy that you are happy. Hope it will repealed from all the rest NE states. And also hope that militancy will not be revived again!!

you

forgot me :sniper::guns::raise:

Arre, how many I will remember? Jo maan me aya likh diya!!

Any link where she says that? Btw, I am happy that you are happy. Hope it will repealed from all the rest NE states. And also hope that militancy will not be revived again!!

Arre, how many I will remember? Jo maan me aya likh diya!!
:sniper::sniper::sniper:

Thanks to GOI to bring back Democracy in Tripura.......................AFSA is not acceptable in Democracy............ Accountability should be there.
As I am from Tripura,i can tell you we don't have any problem with AFSA.infact govt of tripura wanted to extend AFSA for imported terrorist from Bangladesh.

What is the ground position in Tripura as far as security situation goes?
I hope government has given good thought before taking such a decision and this is not based on populism.

I think Kashmir would take some more time.
Zero terrorist activity for almost 5 years

Zero terrorist activity for almost 5 years
Good to hear that. Peace is important for economic growth of state.

As I am from Tripura,i can tell you we don't have any problem with AFSA.infact govt of tripura wanted to extend AFSA for imported terrorist from Bangladesh.
I read this part somewhere, trouble creating elements entering from Bangladesh side. I suppose fencing issue with the neighboring nation is resolved as it will cut down infiltration and malice its spreads.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom