What's new

Tripura-Chittagong sea port bridge to be entirely funded by India

When needed? LOL Who will fund? You don't have it.

By that time, these states would be in a different stratosphere.

BD government will fund it out of own internal resources.

It can do this as it has very low debt interest payments and GDP growth rate of 7% a year.

BD government will fund it out of own internal resources.

It can do this as it has very low debt interest payments and GDP growth rate of 7% a year.

You know the size of your annual budget ? :lol:

BD has ports, gas extraction, shipyards currently.

Other things will come as and when needed.

yeah,a couple of little shipyards,capable of manufacturing coasters.Nothing else.

You know the size of your annual budget ? :lol:

Around 40 billion US dollars and increasing by 10% a year in real terms - plenty of money coming online to spend on infrastructure and education which are critical to propel GDP growth.

Around 40 billion US dollars and increasing by 10% a year in real terms - plenty of money coming online to spend on infrastructure and education which are critical to propel GDP growth.

Just 40 billion ? Yeah I expected that,given your low tax to GDP ratio.

Even if you spend 11% of that on education,like India it would come around just $4.4 billion.Too little I would say.

And you guys accuse us of diverting funds neccessary for education into military build up & space exploration ?

Just 40 billion ? Yeah I expected that,given your low tax to GDP ratio.

Even if you spend 11% of that on education,like India it would come around just $4.4 billion.Too little I would say.

And you guys accuse us of diverting funds neccessary for education into military build up & space exploration ?

The critical part is the 10% increase in real terms every year and so you are looking at around 64 billion by 2020. It is the fast increase in GDP and tax receipts that is finally allowing BD to start funding the huge infrastructure projects that is badly needed,

Also BD has very low-levels of debt(half of India as % of GDP) - you are looking at payments of only 2 billion dollars a year to service this and so more money can be spent on productive things like infrastructure and education.

The critical part is the 10% increase in real terms every year and so you are looking at around 64 billion by 2020.

So ?How does that negate the fact that your budget & tax to GDP ratio is still dispropotionally small,when compared to India.

You don't spend anything more than 11-12% on education.We too do,but given our much bigger budget,its some 14-15 times yours.

Sad Part is, India has no money to construct anything abroad.

Yet we gave you $2 billion line of credit,which is actually 5% of your budget expenditure.

I guess BD govt have lot of money to spare...given your $38 billion annual budget.

India-Bangladesh has this weird love/hate relationship that is very hard to describe . They bicker like saas - bahu all the time .

Any thread on development in bangladesh turns into bengali's trying to prove to the indian's that they are not under their influence .:lol:

They cant accept the current situation or the fact India continues to outpace them.

As some Bangladeshi said in another thread said "we import even our Horlicks from India"...and then some others here want to "control" economically India's border states by some "X" future date.

It's quite laughable.

I mean simple question: why couldn't Bangladesh fund this bridge 50/50? India has to foot the whole bill...not to mention the credit line given to Bangladesh recently. So "controlling" any part of India in the future in some one way fashion.....okaaayy. :D

Without going into theatrics and drama ( and I don't mean you yourself) can we consider a few things?

1. India's North East corridor is mainly in Bangladesh' backyard
  2. These areas are more industrially undeveloped than Bangladesh, not less.
  3. There are no signs for the foreseeable future that this scenario will change.
  4. Therefore for the time being - they will remain naturally dependent on Bangladesh for consumer and infrastructural items like packaged food, cement, steel, electrical goods etc. because cost of transport from Bangladesh is much less than from rest of India.
  5. Bangladesh will also source basic forestry and mining products from these regions.
  6. The bridge mentioned above really is superfluous. There is great road linkage between Tripura and the Dhaka-CTG highway through Agartala/Akhaura border. I don't know why Indian Govt. needs a new bridge....

Last edited:
Therefore for the time being - they will remain naturally dependent on Bangladesh for consumer and infrastructural items like packaged food, cement, steel, electrical goods etc. because cost of transport from Bangladesh is much less than from rest of India.

I don't see that happening. I mean look at the exports of Bangladesh to India (raw amount and composition).

I doubt Bangladesh will be able to compete in manufactured goods (beyond say textiles and RMG) in supplying the North East because the economies of scale India has developed in its hearth zones combined with the cheap transit across Bangladesh in effect now...mean a Walton fridge is not going to compete all that well with say a Videocon one a N.E state sources from West Bengal etc. I mean just compare the economies of scale of a Bangladeshi white-good producer like Walton to any Indian one (going by their total revenue, net income etc). I mean we can start by checking what the price of a typical Walton fridge is if you have that info somewhere.

http://articles.economictimes.india...li-bangladesh-exports-industry-body-cii-today

Indian imports from Bangladesh include textile fibres, paper yarn, fish, apparel, mineral fuels, salt and cement.

The raw good or low value addition goods are what will increase from Bangladesh into the North East and rest of India. But terms of trade for those are relatively low given Bangladesh's import basket from India includes 30 - 40% of large value added manufactures like vehicles and manufactured components.

The fact Bangladesh imports these from India show just how unviable Bangladeshi white-good manufactures will be in the North East with cheap transit. Also I am unsure what duties such value-added Bangladeshi goods attract in India.

Even hypothetically/conceptually, if you think the North East being a backyard of Bangladesh....its all relative since what exactly does India consider Bangladesh? You can't say one relationship is more of a partnership and the other is more of a captive "backyard" "large reliance" status

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom