What's new

Tried my first south indian food

I eat with whatever they give.. usually 2 chutneys .. ginger and coconut.. and then there is sambar...
first thing I do is to fold the bits of dosa that is nearly touching the table.. then take a piece of it.. while holding it take some masala with it(dig it from middle not open the dosa..) .. so that masala does not touch my finger..
I repeat it the same with chutney ... while sipping some sambar with spoon as step 2.

how do you eat your dosa.. @seiko

I want my Dosa to be sink in chutney.. So at home, mum will have to make a lot and lot of chutney for my dosa.. But at hotel, I wont have that privilages :undecided: Then I need to put some sambar in top of it.. LIke I said, I will make a mess out of dosa before eating it.. As @Awesome mentions I used all my fingers and palm of my hand to eat it.. I cannot find enjoyment eating with those three fingers.. Adoora feel karega yaar.. To get satisfaction I need to eat it with my five fingers and palm of my hand.. Dil be bhi khush ped bhi khush... You should see some people lick their hands after eating.. :omghaha:

Last edited by a moderator:
I want my Dosa to be sink in chutney.. So at home, mum will have to make a lot and lot of chutney for my dosa.. But at hotel, I wont have that privilages :undecided: Then I need to put some sambar in top of it.. LIke I said, I will make a mess out of dosa before eating it.. As @Awesome mentions I used all my fingers and palm of my hand to eat it.. I cannot find enjoyment eating with those three fingers.. Adoora feel karega yaar.. To get satisfaction I need to eat it with my five fingers and palm of my hand.. Dil be bhi khush ped bhi khush... You should see some people lick their hands after eating.. :omghaha:
well.. Its okey if I do it.. but if somebody else does it infront of me .. I find it disgusting.. :D

I like most South Indian food unless if it's too spicy. I was in Bangalore for a few months working on a project, I loved the food there. Love dosa, all the varieties. Rava dosa and onion dosa are my favorites. However I am not a big Idli guy. There was a Keralite restaurant close to where I lived. Loved their Kerala style biriyani. It looks like plate of white rice but when you dig it, it's a goldmine.

I eat with whatever they give.. usually 2 chutneys .. ginger and coconut.. and then there is sambar...
first thing I do is to fold the bits of dosa that is nearly touching the table.. then take a piece of it.. while holding it take some masala with it(dig it from middle not open the dosa..) .. so that masala does not touch my finger..
I repeat it the same with chutney ... while sipping some sambar with spoon as step 2.

Problem is .after eating.. ghee sticks to the finger. and no amount of washing can remove it.. :)

how do you eat your dosa.. @seiko

First thing I do is throw the Sambar away. I even tell them, yaar don't give it to me, they are like but its free! :D

I eat dosa with chutney alone.

One thing I would recommend Indians is to try out Pakistani vegetarian foods. Either cook it yourself watching recipes from Pakistani youtube channels, or at some Pakistani friends' place. If you are particular about eating strictly veg (like no mixing of utensils and oils), for religious reasons, you can't get that guarantee from restaurants, but perhaps in the fancier places you can.

There are tons of Pakistani vegetarian foods. Dal Maash is one thing I'm sure you all must have tried in Punjabi restaurants, cooking it at home takes some experience, you almost always get it wrong the first few times.

Saagh is another one, with makai ki roti but can also be done with Naan.

Alu bhujia (its different from the South Indian one, its got a lot more use of tomatoes).

And my favorite - Chikkar Cholay. Again a world of difference from what you get in South Indian restaurants called Channa Masala.

So when you go to Pakistani restaurants, don't just blindly order Butter Chicken (I know that's the only thing that comes to an Indian's mind when they think of Non-veg :D), if you want, there are always vegetarian options.

well.. Its okey if I do it.. but if somebody else does it infront of me .. I find it disgusting.. :D

I know the feeling.

You see everyone like carefree eating, just that sophistication never allows us to do so in public.

If you've ever eaten Paye (soup made out of bones and I think ligaments of cow or goat feet) you know its one hell of a messy food. Its to be eaten with Naan but the soup is super sticky (the stickier it is the better the taste). So people have made rules like "Jab tak haath chip chip na karay, maza hi nahi aata" :D. So then that makes it okay.

@Awesome ... I dont like pakistani veggie dishes because of too much oil ... I eat similar dish in north India but the oil is sheldom visible as red blood on top..
I like chicken dishes inspite of oil ... pakistani masala is very good (shan and another one I forgot) and much better than any Indian masala I ever bought.. wonder why they dont enter Indian market.. they can destroy MDH. :cheesy:

@Awesome ... I dont like pakistani veggie dishes because of too much oil ... I eat similar dish in north India but the oil is sheldom visible as red blood on top..
I like chicken dishes inspite of oil ... pakistani masala is very good (shan and another one I forgot) and much better than any Indian masala I ever bought.. wonder why they dont enter Indian market.. they can destroy MDH. :cheesy:

Yeah I undestand that bit about the oil.

Most Pakistanis themselves just throw the oil away.

But the Oil is what we call Tarka.

Dishes like Daal are made without oil completely, then when they are cooked a lot of oil is heated up with spices and onions (everyone has their own way of tarka) and then garnished on top of the daal. So its supposed to float on top but you can just remove some of it.

I believe Shan, National and Mehran are already in the Indian market but in select stores.

Shan and the rest are actually too spicy. Whenever I use it, I used half a packet only.

But its always best to use fresh ingredients.

A good Youtube channel I would recommend is Bajia's Cooking. Her recipes don't have the usual chit chat nonsense of cooking shows, and everything is simplified so everyone can understand.

She even has translated the recipes into English. These are quite authentic Pakistani dishes but cooked with modern ingredients and cooking equipment.

Its only after i moved to HYD that i had this . its like a dosa but made of green dal. its called peserattu , and is a lot heavier than a dosa. this will allam chutney :)

1_pesarattu_recipe_4001.jpg

First thing I do is throw the Sambar away. I even tell them, yaar don't give it to me, they are like but its free! :D

One thing I would recommend Indians is to try out Pakistani vegetarian foods. Either cook it yourself watching recipes from Pakistani youtube channels, or at some Pakistani friends' place. If you are particular about eating strictly veg (like no mixing of utensils and oils), for religious reasons, you can't get that guarantee from restaurants, but perhaps in the fancier places you can.

There are tons of Pakistani vegetarian foods. Dal Maash is one thing I'm sure you all must have tried in Punjabi restaurants, cooking it at home takes some experience, you almost always get it wrong the first few times.

Alu bhujia (its different from the South Indian one, its got a lot more use of tomatoes).

And my favorite - Chikkar Cholay. Again a world of difference from what you get in South Indian restaurants called Channa Masala.

So when you go to Pakistani restaurants, don't just blindly order Butter Chicken (I know that's the only thing that comes to an Indian's mind when they think of Non-veg :D), if you want, there are always vegetarian options.

you seem to know alot abt cooking etc...
smileys-smiley-with-sign-784150.gif
have u taken som cooking classes from Marriot Hotel Pakistan?:P

you seem to know alot abt cooking etc...
smileys-smiley-with-sign-784150.gif
have u taken som cooking classes from Marriot Hotel Pakistan?:P

No, nothing so professional. I just like a variety of foods and I lived alone throughout my college years so I got to try a few things in the kitchen.

Even I can't eat the sambar.......... most of the time it's wasted........ Dosa with chutney is good!!

Sarson ka saag and Makai ki roti is one of my favorite...... its a Punjabi dish right............

If I want to have non-veg, like chicken, mutton, fish, I can got to both Indian and Pakistani restaurant but only if I want to eat beef specially, I only have that option in Pakistani or Bangladeshi restaurant or a Kerala restaurant.... boti kabab, chapali kabab, bihari kabab, shikh, shami, bhuna,Qorma, beef fry,beef chilli so many varieties are there.

yesterday with my wife and kids we made rawa idli , wara , daal wara & masala dosa with two chutney (coconut & garlick-spicy +tamato & coconut -sweet & tangy) with sambar and kids loved it me aswell :)

I love masala Dosa. That's the only south Indian food i have tried, apart from some appetizers. But i love Dosa. Give me i will sell my loyalty for a good crispy masala dosa. Oh my god. What have you done? Shyt. It's only 5 am here and i am craving for a Dosa.

Your location says Pakistan,

How would you get it in Pak?

Back
Top Bottom