What's new

Top 100 Ulima's Fatwa declares Operation Zarb-e-Azb as Jihad.

I think it is about time we get away from ‘Fatwas’ about justification for a course of action.

There have been so many ‘Fatwas’ been thrown around in the sub-continent that ‘ Fatwa’ or any other declaration by a half-baked mullah has no meaning. For example early in 20th century, Deoband Ulema declared that use of loud speaker was haram, now it is used in every mosque. How come something haram one day became halaal a few years later? On the other hand ‘Suicide’ is clearly forbidden thru a Quranic verse (Word of Allah), but the Jihadis supposedly fighting for Allah conveniently ignore this edict. Do I hear ASWJ ( Deobandi) scholars issuing Fatwa against Suicide? It is a pity the the bigotry by mullahs has turned Fatwa into a joke.

Being a Muslim does not give any one a license to shoot people indiscriminately or destroy state property or blow himself up. It is an insult to other law abiding Muslims to condone acts of the TTP killers. This is a crime against humanity and needs to be dealt with ruthlessly.

TTP, Lej and all allies of Al-Qaida are in fact a ‘Fitna’. It the job of the government of the day to safeguard life & property of its citizens. An order from the duly elected government of the day should be enough. You don’t need Fatwa from religious scholars to eliminate this cancer from the society.

Last edited:
I think it is about time we get away from ‘Fatwas’ about justification for a course of action.

There have been so many ‘Fatwas’ being thrown around in the sub-continent that ‘ Fatwa’ or any other declaration by a half-baked mullah has no meaning. For example early in 20th century, Deoband Ulema declared that use of loud speaker was haram, now it is used in every mosque. How come something haram one day became halaal a few years later? On the other hand ‘Suicide’ is clearly forbidden thru a Quranic verse (Word of Allah), but the Jihadis supposedly fighting for Allah conveniently ignore this edict. Do I hear ASWJ ( Deobandi) scholars issuing Fatwa against Suicide? It is a pity the the bigotry by mullahs has turned Fatwa into a joke.

Being a Muslim does not give any one a license to shoot people indiscriminately or destroy state property or blow himself up. It is an insult to other law abiding Muslims to condone acts of the TTP killers. This a crime against humanity and needs to dealt ruthlessly.

TTP, Lej and all allies of Al-Qaida are in fact a ‘Fitna’. It the job of the government of the day to safeguard life & property of its citizens. An order from the duly elected government of the day should be enough. You don’t need Fatwa from religious scholars to eliminate this cancer from the society.

Well said; @niaz sahab,
If the State allows Fatwas to be dished out "right and left and center" for or against any "Matters that concern the State"; then the State allows any Tom Dick or Harry to creep in and reduce the legitimacy and authority of the State itself.

It is foolish for the State to allow this to happen and may even be dangerous.
The credentials of the Fatwa Issuers are unknown and even may well be dubious. Plus there is also the associated knowledge that some (if not many) of the Fatwa Issuers are little better than 'guns for hire' who may be prevailed upon by any means to issue a Fatwa of any kind on any subject!

Its simply absurd that such meaningless drivel is even being given publicity.

Its simply absurd that such meaningless drivel is even being given publicity.

we are talking about Pakistan here...
a place where one can get killed not only for Blasphemy but also highlighting the possible abuse of this law

in Pakistan one can kill me for saying Blasphemy law needs review.

we are talking about Pakistan here...
a place where one can get killed not only for Blasphemy but also highlighting the possible abuse of this law

in Pakistan one can kill me for saying Blasphemy law needs review.

Wherever it may be; does not matter. Can the State allow the responsibility and the power to approve or disapprove 'State Actions' to pass on to another entity; which may be a Non-State Actor? To use that hackneyed term.

In any case; it really is important to overlook, ignore and even 'black-out' such "Third-Party" opinions (whether favorable or unfavorable) so that the State alone retains both Legitimacy and Authority in such matters.

Finally; in your words: "we are talking about Pakistan here....." I do recognise that reality, but will not consider that to be a good enough reason.
Let us not forget that even Europe had a Middle Ages and the mind-set of an Inquisition and then moved far beyond that eventually.
Why not Pakistan? One has to start some time.

Back
Top Bottom