What's new

TOP 10 CRUISE MISSILEs 2016 (VIDEOs)

1. Most of those are anit-ship missiles. JSM is NSM's land-attack variant. Tomahawk and Brahmos are swing-role, but the majority are anti-ship weapons.

2. No LRASM:what:??? It's the replacement for Harpoon.

LRASM-F-18-Testflug.jpg.7343684.jpg

69fc6c1aed8735d0ccde65653f5df4aa.jpg

LRASM-F-18E-August2015.jpg.6843766.jpg

While it may ultimately have a land-attack version, it currently doesn't and JASSM is the LRASM's land-attack variety.

5-7.jpg

Tomahawk and Klub reign supreme as land-attack weapons. Smart with long ranges and heavy payloads.

Klub%2Bloading%2Bto%2BKilo.jpg

uss_santa_fe_sub.jpg

I'm not sure I'd put Brahmos as the #1 anti-ship missile though. It's fast, but lacks range and is more a modernized version of the older Russian missiles like P-270 that rely on speed and kinetic energy, as opposed to brains and explosive power.

Ultimately it's a difference in philosophy, but the slow moving missiles like harpoon and Exocet have been proven deadly, while the quick Russian ones haven't. And there's a reason the US builds them slow and smart rather then large and quick.

Last edited:
1. Most of those are anit-ship missiles. JSM is NSM's land-attack variant. Tomahawk and Brahmos are swing-role, but the majority are anti-ship weapons.

2. No LRASM:what:??? It's the replacement for Harpoon.

LRASM-F-18-Testflug.jpg.7343684.jpg

69fc6c1aed8735d0ccde65653f5df4aa.jpg

LRASM-F-18E-August2015.jpg.6843766.jpg

While it may ultimately have a land-attack version, it currently doesn't and JASSM is the LRASM's land-attack variety.

5-7.jpg

Tomahawk and Klub reign supreme as land-attack weapons. Smart with long ranges and heavy payloads.

Klub%2Bloading%2Bto%2BKilo.jpg

uss_santa_fe_sub.jpg

I'm not sure I'd put Brahmos as the #1 anti-ship missile though. It's fast, but lacks range and is more a modernized version of the older Russian missiles like P-270 that rely on speed and kinetic energy, as opposed to brains and explosive power.

Ultimately it's a difference in philosophy, but the slow moving missiles like harpoon and Exocet have been proven deadly, while the quick Russian ones haven't. And there's a reason the US builds them slow and smart rather then large and quick.
Future is all about of speed every country wants to build hypersonic version of their cruise missile example belowbelow

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/th...-hypersonic-zircon-cruise-missile-enter-15909
Russia’s Lethal Hypersonic Zircon Cruise Missile to Enter Production

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/us-air-for...-weapon-travel-five-times-speed-sound-1505012

Exocet

Harpoon

Brahmos/Yakhont

3m54 Klub.

Nothing less nothing more.

Future is all about of speed every country wants to build hypersonic version of their cruise missile

The future is all about speed from a certain perspective. Western nations never valued it in an anti-ship weapon system and even China's been building long-range, but slow moving anti-ship and land-attack missiles.

The US and Europe prefer brains over speed. Even building hypersonic weapons, the US is doing so with land-attack in mind:

promptstrike2.JPG

x51hypersonic.jpg

But their anti-ship missiles remain smart and slow.

The LRASM B:

LRASM0025200028170029.jpg

And RATTLRS, both high-speed anti-ship missile programs, were not deemed to offer significant advantages over upcoming or existing designs.

ob_cbf638_a-rattlrs-cruise-missile-inlet-undergo.jpg

From an Indian perspective, maybe speed matters more, but not everywhere and even in nations with high-speed missile programs, they mix them with slower ones too or hybrid designs like Russia's Kaliber series anti-ship missile which is subsonic for the duration of its flight and makes a supersonic sprint only in the final seconds.

Chinese+Navy+Kilo-class+submarines+Klub-S+3M-14T+3M-54T+3M-54E+3M-54E1+3M-14E+91RE1+People%2527s+Liberation+Army+Navy+Submarine+Force+Russia%2527s+advanced+SS-N-27+supersonic+anti-ship+missiles+club+%25281%2529.jpg

*X-51A has lead to a developmental hypersonic strike platform, though the X-51A itself isn't a weapon.

Just three innocent questions.
(1) What were the basis for the grading of this list?
(2) Brahmos is on the top. May i know why? Was it just bcz of speed?(In NO way am asking so bcz Pakistani missiles aint in the list. Keep them away in any case.)
(3) Chinese YJ-18 made it to number 2, even though the OP kept on citing the limitations of non availability of much info or data about it. So how did it make it to number 2? (In no way am pointing at WHY but HOW part).

Come on guys enough with this Vs thingi.

The future is all about speed from a certain perspective. Western nations never valued it in an anti-ship weapon system and even China's been building long-range, but slow moving anti-ship and land-attack missiles.

The US and Europe prefer brains over speed. Even building hypersonic weapons, the US is doing so with land-attack in mind:

promptstrike2.JPG

x51hypersonic.jpg

But their anti-ship missiles remain smart and slow.

The LRASM B:

LRASM0025200028170029.jpg

And RATTLRS, both high-speed anti-ship missile programs, were not deemed to offer significant advantages over upcoming or existing designs.

ob_cbf638_a-rattlrs-cruise-missile-inlet-undergo.jpg

From an Indian perspective, maybe speed matters more, but not everywhere and even in nations with high-speed missile programs, they mix them with slower ones too or hybrid designs like Russia's Kaliber series anti-ship missile which is subsonic for the duration of its flight and makes a supersonic sprint only in the final seconds.

Chinese+Navy+Kilo-class+submarines+Klub-S+3M-14T+3M-54T+3M-54E+3M-54E1+3M-14E+91RE1+People%2527s+Liberation+Army+Navy+Submarine+Force+Russia%2527s+advanced+SS-N-27+supersonic+anti-ship+missiles+club+%25281%2529.jpg

*X-51A has lead to a developmental hypersonic strike platform, though the X-51A itself isn't a weapon.

High speed of Bhramos gives less time for enemy defences to react. Also high KE will make it easy to pierce deeper into well protected hulls and the warhead does the rest.
Speed matters !!

High speed of Bhramos gives less time for enemy defences to react. Also high KE will make it easy to pierce deeper into well protected hulls and the warhead does the rest.
Speed matters !!

In integrated systems that get information from Satellites and Airborne Early warning systems, a missile like Brahmos would give an early indication right from the launch to the point where it is detected and engaged.

In integrated systems that get information from Satellites and Airborne Early warning systems, a missile like Brahmos would give an early indication right from the launch to the point where it is detected and engaged.

Every platform has its own pros and cons. That is why we are developing subsonic Nirbhay and Hypersonic Bhramos II. Depending on the mission IN might choose which weapon to use.

Brahmos is over rated ,india will going to equipped majority of its warship with nirbhay subsonic cruise missile in future

Very true, these slow moving ones are either sea skimming or terrain huggers , they remain quite undetected till the last few miles when they can pick up speed.

Exactly, once it is detected ship counter measures will kick in. Enemy ship needs to given very less reaction time.

Brahmos is such a nice piece of technology.

Just three innocent questions.
(1) What were the basis for the grading of this list?
(2) Brahmos is on the top. May i know why? Was it just bcz of speed?(In NO way am asking so bcz Pakistani missiles aint in the list. Keep them away in any case.)
(3) Chinese YJ-18 made it to number 2, even though the OP kept on citing the limitations of non availability of much info or data about it. So how did it make it to number 2? (In no way am pointing at WHY but HOW part).

Come on guys enough with this Vs thingi.
Why you even asked these questions? Didnt you know the answers?
I think the video was just for info here, and I strongly dont believe the rating, but I believed that these missiles exist , and by etc countries. Watch and enjoy. Baqi pta tu aapko hoga hi chezon ka. :)

As far as I know Subsonic low flying (Sea skimming missiles) and it's proper employment is harder to master and is preferred on Supersonic missiles. Supersonic (i.e Brahmos) are not fast enough and are easily detected and countered. Hyper-sonic missile (i.e Brahmos-II) may change this equation but targeting a small moving target from 300 miles at Mach 6 or 7 is no easy task.

As far as I know Subsonic low flying (Sea skimming missiles) and it's proper employment is harder to master and is preferred on Supersonic missiles. Supersonic (i.e Brahmos) are not fast enough and are easily detected and countered. Hyper-sonic missile (i.e Brahmos-II) may change this equation but targeting a small moving target from 300 miles at Mach 6 or 7 is no easy task.

What makes you think Bhramos is not a sea skimming missile?

Brahmos has speed as well as 'sea skimming' capability...that is what makes it even more dangerous. Not to mention some serious moves like 'S' move in terminal phase makes its even more difficult to be intercepted.

Back
Top Bottom