What's new

To Promote Religious Tourism In Pakistan, PM Imran Khan Meets High-Level Delegation Of Buddhist Monk

Interesting. Never knew Pakistan is the origin of Buddhism practiced in Korean peninsula. From Mecca of Sikhism to Mecca of Buddhism, Pakistan is indeed the cradle of CivilisationS.

http://m.koreaherald.com/amp/view.php?ud=20151115000421

According to some historians, Korea’s Buddhism traces its roots to the Gandharan Civilization that thrived 2,000 years ago in the territories of today’s northern Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The Mahayana school of Korea’s Buddhism ― one of two main branches alongside the Hinayana school ― was introduced to the ancient Kingdom of Baekje (B.C. 18-A.D. 660) in 384 by monk Maranatha, native of Gandhara, the historical records say.

Professor Park Kyo-soon of Fatima Jinnah Women University in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, said: “Korea’s underlying heritage comes from Buddhism, which comes from Gandhara. In today’s localized world, Gandhara can be a lynchpin for globalizing our culture and Buddhism.

And that is why ladies and gentlemen our land, our country is THE MOST ANCIENT CIVILZATION of all , right here at banks of Indus. It all comes back to us.

Fantastic news. Not many people know but Buddhism in Korea can be traced from Khyber Pakhtunkwa, Pakistan in what was then the Gandhara region with Taxila as it's centre.

Why did Buddhism decline in South Asia? I have actually read following the Babri Mosque demolition case, that many Hindu temples are built over Buddhist monuments.

Why did Buddhism decline in South Asia? I have actually read following the Babri Mosque demolition case, that many Hindu temples are built over Buddhist monuments.
One of the biggest lies peddled around is our ancestors where Hindus. Yes, some were. However most were animists, Buddhists, Zoroastrian and syncreism of various belief systems including even Greek influence. We should not feel defensive about this. Even Arabs were idol worshipping pagans before advent of Islam. If your a revert it does not mean you disown your family or parents. They still and always will be part of your existence.

As to your question I think lot of this had to do with the hold of the brahmins. India was and is still a ocean of underclass with few Brahmins lording over them. In our region power was more diffuse and fractured. No one group dominated it and we were more susceptable to eqalatarian Islam.

Fantastic news. Not many people know but Buddhism in Korea can be traced from Khyber Pakhtunkwa, Pakistan in what was then the Gandhara region with Taxila as it's centre.
Not just Korea, but China and as far as Japan as well. In Japan, many of them still worship the Gandharan deity 'Hariti' as Kishimojin.

800px-GoddessHaririWithBaby.jpg

b15-312.jpg

Buddhism declined in Pakistan and Afghanistan due to Hindu and Zoroastrianism primarily. Muslims also persecuted Buddhists but Buddhism was already in a weak position when Muslims invaded these region.

Pakistan and Afghanistan especially Gandhara region was primarily Buddhist region. After the Mauryan empire and Kushan empire, the region was invaded by Zoroastrians from Iran, particularly the Sassanids and Parthians and by Hindus from India. By 7th century Gandhara was a Hindu colony ruled by Hindu Kabul Shahis. Hindu King Mihirkula also persecuted Buddhists. Afterwards during Muslim rule the last remaining Buddhists also disappeared.

Kashmir was also Buddhist majority region till 7th century when Hindu Shaivite rulers invaded Kashmir. Afterwards Hinduism became the religion of the majority in Kashmir. Muslim rulers like Sikander Butshikan also persecuted Buddhists.

Buddhism declined in Pakistan and Afghanistan due to Hindu and Zoroastrianism primarily. Muslims also persecuted Buddhists but Buddhism was already in a weak position when Muslims invaded these region.

Pakistan and Afghanistan especially Gandhara region was primarily Buddhist region. After the Mauryan empire and Kushan empire, the region was invaded by Zoroastrians from Iran, particularly the Sassanids and Parthians and by Hindus from India. By 7th century Gandhara was a Hindu colony ruled by Hindu Kabul Shahis. Hindu King Mihirkula also persecuted Buddhists. Afterwards during Muslim rule the last remaining Buddhists also disappeared.

Kashmir was also Buddhist majority region till 7th century when Hindu Shaivite rulers invaded Kashmir. Afterwards Hinduism became the religion of the majority in Kashmir. Muslim rulers like Sikander Butshikan also persecuted Buddhists.
Lies lies and more lies @The Eagle how long are you going to tolerate his propaganda about Islam and Pakistan?

Lies lies and more lies @The Eagle how long are you going to tolerate his propaganda about Islam and Pakistan?
Propaganda? Wait I'm giving proofs. Also I have never targeted Islam specifically. Why did you skip the part where I blamed Hindus and Parsis?

Mr. Moderator, please take a look @The Eagle

Also what lies about Pakistan. I talked about the region where Buddhism once thrived. You are so blind that you did not see I talked about Kashmir and Afghanistan too.

Ideally we want wealthy tourists. Koreans, Japanese, Chinese should be the target here.
Good luck with that, What is left of Buddhism will not help much. Since those who are willing to make such trip for their religion... are mostly "not wealthy enough".
The new Buddhist gen are like those Christians in Europe... where having a tree in Christmas make them "Christians" or Think Being a Buddhist will make their Yoga class more "Authentic"...

Propaganda? Wait I'm giving proofs. Also I have never targeted Islam specifically. Why did you skip the part where I blamed Hindus and Parsis?

Mr. Moderator, please take a look @The Eagle

Also what lies about Pakistan. I talked about the region where Buddhism once thrived. You are so blind that you did not see I talked about Kashmir and Afghanistan too.
Buddhist families converted to islam when islamic scholars arrived in Pakistan and Kashmir, where you state they were persecuted. Provide proof, Indian

Buddhist families converted to islam when islamic scholars arrived in Pakistan and Kashmir, where you state they were persecuted. Provide proof, Indian
You are too naive my friend. I never told Muslims persecuted in any of my sentence. I told Sikander Butshikan did that.

Also please read my line. I told it was Shiva worshipping Hindus who were primarily repsonsible for the decline of Buddhism from Kashmir.

As to your question I think lot of this had to do with the hold of the brahmins. India was and is still a ocean of underclass with few Brahmins lording over them. In our region power was more diffuse and fractured. No one group dominated it and we were more susceptable to eqalatarian Islam.
Buddhism's decline in modern-day Pakistan can be traced to the Huna King Mihirakula. He had converted to Shivaism and was influenced by a group of Brahmins to carry out atrocities against Buddhism. The devastation would also lead to the decline and eventual collapse of Gandhara, which was so ruined that entire valleys were reported to be depopulated.

t0rexlyljrx31.jpg

With a majority of the monasteries and orders destroyed, Buddhism went into a free-fall. Though it remained a dominant religion, without proper structure, most of it's followers began to diverge; primarily towards folk religions. Buddhism lost it's political power beginning in the 6th-7th century, when the Buddhist Kings of Gandhara/Kabul, Kashmir and Sindh were overthrown by their Brahmin ministers.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom