What's new

To prep against a massive asteroid strike, NASA wants India's help

Ok normally I don't comment on such issues, however, here it goes..... Why on planet earth would NASA need India's help? It's like asking a newborn to fix a reactor.
@arp2041 @Dillinger

Cost sharing my man, cost sharing.

We are not going to build any such system today, or tomorrow..but rather over a period of decades. So where do you see ISRO in the next decade?

But yes, if an asteroid is heading our way next year then I'd suggest that we all invest in NBC bunkers and as JL said..call Bruce Willis!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many, MANY, facets to this. Firstly India is very new to the space game but it is moving at a rapid rate to devlop capabilities and tech. Secondly, NASA is looking to the future, no matter what way you cut it, India and China are two economic juggernauts who aren't going to be stopped anytime soon- within most of out life times they will be numbers 1 and 2 on the economy league table. Faced with budget cuts themselves it makes sense they lay the groundwork for expanded cooperation with rising space powers/agencies and whilst this is likely impossible with the closed society that is China, India and ISRO are much more approachable. Thirdly India has great depth and potential in this field, we've all heard the, most likely greatly exaggerated, fact that ~20-30% of NASA's top scientists are of Indian-origin. As the reverse-brain continues (and it is) India and ISRO are going to capture the greatest Indian minds of this field and whist this will elevate ISRO this will hurt NASA, if only in a small way.[/QUOT

That figure (% of NASA employees being indian) was a hoax created by some joker on the internet. The actual value is probably very very small, most likely less than 1%.
20-30 or 36%, as found on the internet is just someone's garbage dumped online.

Back
Top Bottom