What's new

Tk 1 billion deal signed for Dhaka-Chattogram high-speed train feasibility study

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
https://bdnews24.com/economy/2018/0...attogram-high-speed-train-feasibility-study--
Home > Economy

Tk 1 billion deal signed for Dhaka-Chattogram high-speed train feasibility study
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com

Published: 2018-05-31 20:51:27.0 BdST Updated: 2018-05-31 21:51:46.0 BdST

• High-Speed-Train-31-05-2018.jpg

Previous Next
Bangladesh Railway has signed a deal with consultants to assess the feasibility of a project to launch high-speed train services from Dhaka to Chattogram.

China Railway Design Corporation and Bangladesh’s Mazumder Enterprise will also design the tracks under the deal worth more than Tk 1 billion.

After the signing of the deal at the Rail Bhaban in Dhaka on Thursday, Railways Minister Md Mazibul Hoque said the train would carry passengers and goods between the capital and the port city in 1:30 to 2 hours travelling at a speed of 200 kilometres per hour.

He said the government was planning to shorten the route to 230 kilometres via Cumilla or Laksam.

Currently, it takes minimum six hours to travel to Chattogram from Dhaka through the 320-kilometre route.

According to the deal, the consultants will complete the feasibility study and design within 18 months with government funds.

2 hrs train journey to reach Ctg from Dhaka
BSS . Dhaka | Update: 20:56, May 31, 2018

0 Like

88e0d2b0856e66c0ceb092d994e0da25-Rail.jpg

The government on Thursday signed a contract with a Chinese company to conduct feasibility study and prepare detail design for construction of Dhaka-Chattogram via Cumilla/Laksham High-Speed rail link.

China Railway Design Corporation (CRDC) and Mazumder Enterprise (ME), Bangladesh Consortium (CRDC-ME-Consortium) will jointly conduct the feasibility study and prepare detail design of the proposed rail link project at a cost of Tk 1.02 billion.

Project director M Kamrul Ahsan and business manager of International Business Department Liu Weichao signed the agreement on behalf of their respective sides.

According to the deal, the consultant company will conduct the feasibility study and prepare a detailed design within next 18 months.

Witnessing the signing ceremony as the chief guest, railways minister M Mujibul Haque said Dhaka-Chattogram rail link is an important railway corridor of the country.

He said the existing Dhaka-Chattogram rail link runs for 320-km through Tongi, Bhairab, Akhaura, Cumilla and Feni and the proposed route will reduce 91-kilometer distance. The high-speed train, however, will run on a special track through Dhaka-Chattogram via Cumilla/Laksham within two hours, the minister added.

Among others, railways secretary M Mofassel Hossian, director general of Bangladesh Railways M Amjad Hossain and officials were present.

http://en.prothomalo.com/bangladesh/news/176726/2-hrs-train-journey-to-reach-Ctg-from-Dhaka

Last edited:
The fact that so much money is being spent on a feasibility study means that BD government is really serious about building the railway.
Not only feasibility study but also design within 18 months.
According to the deal, the consultants will complete the feasibility study and design within 18 months with government funds.

Meanwhile other countries in the subcontinent are nowhere close to implementing bullet HSR train technology. But they have 99 mph trains (Gatimaan Express) which we don't. That will be sufficient to bring CTG within 2 hour travel duration. That semi HSR solution in my opinion is a much more practical solution. They could not remove the slums near the tracks at Kamalapur yet. First things first and one step at a time.

The crucial thing is track quality and maintenance, at speeds higher than say 70 mph. Most HSR track is continuous with no joints, welded together which is new technology for us. No clickity clack. Most HSR track width is 1435 mm, which we do not have.

In Japan, bullet train tracks are maintained daily. Yes daily. The bullet train wheels are also ground to micro tolerances for roundness and smoothness frequently, under a monthly basis, I believe. Tall order? You bet.

But Japan started in the 60's. S. Korea and China caught up in the 90's. China's rise has been spectacular and they are at least 20 or more years ahead of India. Although Indians keep talking about hyperloop and Maglev. :P

There was talk and feasibility study in Pakistan as well for Bullet trains around 2007 but I don't know what happened.

.....and India brought in right on cue into the topic :lol:

@bluesky @Michael Corleone @DarkPrince
You will be castigated/castracized if you defend India. I will be whipped with barbed words If I say something. But, anyway, I am wondering if the plan of setting double tracks in the Dhaka-Ctg. line has already been materialized. I have been hearing this since Pakistan time, though!!! Now, suddenly a payment of good amount of money for just the feasibility study of bullet train?

I know about the structure of this type of line. It will be very expensive to build one in BD. Most of the track length will have to be built overhead on RCC structure, the columns of which will be supported by piled foundations. Hope, I will see some positive reports after, say, 5 years.

Last edited:
According to the deal, the consultant company will conduct the feasibility study and prepare a detailed design within next 18 months.
I think, the reporters are not familiar with the expression, "detailed design". It does not come with the feasibility study. In the present context, it may be a composition of proposed route(s), the type of structure, expenses, etc., but certainly not the detailed design.

Last edited:
Meanwhile other countries in the subcontinent are nowhere close to implementing bullet HSR train technology. But they have 99 mph trains (Gatimaan Express) which we don't. That will be sufficient to bring CTG within 2 hour travel duration. That semi HSR solution in my opinion is a much more practical solution. They could not remove the slums near the tracks at Kamalapur yet. First things first and one step at a time.

The crucial thing is track quality and maintenance, at speeds higher than say 70 mph. Most HSR track is continuous with no joints, welded together which is new technology for us. No clickity clack. Most HSR track width is 1435 mm, which we do not have.

In Japan, bullet train tracks are maintained daily. Yes daily. The bullet train wheels are also ground to micro tolerances for roundness and smoothness frequently, under a monthly basis, I believe. Tall order? You bet.

But Japan started in the 60's. S. Korea and China caught up in the 90's. China's rise has been spectacular and they are at least 20 or more years ahead of India. Although Indians keep talking about hyperloop and Maglev. :P

There was talk and feasibility study in Pakistan as well for Bullet trains around 2007 but I don't know what happened.
I mostly agree, at current stage of economic development this high speed train project seems premature but one thing we have to consider, when Bangladesh will feel the need of this train, then construction cost will multiply by many times. The land price in Dhaka-Chittagong economic corridor is rising very fast and availability shrinking.So a project like this which will be necessary when Bangladesh reach the economic prosperity of current China, we may had to regret for not starting earlier.Few days ago PM said all the big development project now being undertaken keeping in mind of next 50-100 years. She lamented that, if we had develop Dhaka's transport infrastructure 30-40 years ago in planned ways keeping in mind of future demand, then current condition in Dhaka would not have been so horrible.

Last edited:
.....and India brought in right on cue into the topic :lol:

@bluesky @Michael Corleone @DarkPrince

LOL

S.S (shameless & shambolic) Bilal is a nut case who conveniently ignores posts in which he’s been called out for his almost endless supply of class A bullshittery. I guess it helps the bitter old uncle sleep better at night.

Why not talking in order, like made the already existing railway services in Bangladesh is in order and much more humane for their passanger?

Why not talking about electrification progress first for intra city services?

Jumping for high speed railways is tall order for Bangladesh in my opinion

Why not talking in order, like made the already existing railway services in Bangladesh is in order and much more humane for their passanger?

You are making a mistake here by asking our PDF guys from BD to speak sane. People in BD love to make a hue and cry for nothing. So, there is no Dhaka-Chittagong double track rail. This is why there is not a single meter of electrification in any track in BD. Yet, the govt people have very cunningly devised a plan to steal a good amount of money by allocating for a not-to-be absurd project.

This is what are our BD ministers and their supporters in the PDF. You see, this is the reason why BD remains at the lower rung of all the LDCs, a most corrupt country.

The tracks should be made overhead as much as possible. If there are too many road crossings and railway stations as existing for every kilometers then these will never achieve High speed bullet train status. Should be amalgamated with DHK-CTG expressway. The Wdm3a locomotives from India are more advanced for Bangladesh with capability to achieve 120 kmh. But Im not sure if they could ever achieve 70 kmh. And about bullet train we are hearing it since 2002.

Work is going on in both front. All track being upgraded to dual gauge and dual track. I dont think govt has any plan for electric train in existing track though.

You are making a mistake here by asking our PDF guys from BD to speak sane. People in BD love to make a hue and cry for nothing. So, there is no Dhaka-Chittagong double track rail. This is why there is not a single meter of electrification in any track in BD. Yet, the govt people have very cunningly devised a plan to steal a good amount of money by allocating for a not-to-be absurd project.

This is what are our BD ministers and their supporters in the PDF. You see, this is the reason why BD remains at the lower rung of all the LDCs, a most corrupt country.

stop blabbering without any knowledge of things.

Back
Top Bottom