What's new

Threat of genocide looms in Pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pakistan's religious minorities constitute 3 percent of the population, but 50% of the blasphemy cases are directed against them:

Although religious minorities constitute less than 5% of the population, around 50% of the blasphemy cases brought to court are against them.

Minority Rights Group International : Press releases : UN review of Pakistan: Urgent protection needed for minorities

Either these non-Muslims are suicidal and therefore provoke blasphemy comments to get themselves killed, or they are being deliberately targeted and persecuted.

So according to you, blasphemy laws would be deemed questionable only if a death penalty would be slapped on a minority?

What about Pastor Rashid Emmanuel and his brother Sajid? The poor guys were shot dead before trial. So yes, technically, a death penalty had not been slapped on them.

What about Shahbaz Bhatti, another catholic? He tried to reform the blashpemy laws, which itself was perceived as blasphemous and was again shot down. Again, no death penalty, mind you.

What about Rimsha Masih, another christian, who is currently facing trial?

What about killings of Christians in Gojra, due to alleged blasphemy? Again, no death penalty in accordance with the laws.

What about hector aleem, a christian social worker? He was proved innocent, yet had to evade assassination attempts?!

What about ayub masih, the cathoic bricklayer. He was shot at in the Sessions Court. He was later attacked in the jail.

Obviously, what you say - about no catholics or hindus having been given the death sentence - is right. A pre-requisite for a court to slap a death sentence on the guilty is that the under-trial is alive at the time the sentence is awarded.

But you guys, clearly, take care of things before-hand.

Just one question for you. What about this poor guy?

Graham Staines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And thousands others like him.

What about Rimsha Masih, another christian, who is currently facing trial?

And update yourself. Case against this girl has already been dropped.

Pakistan's religious minorities constitute 3 percent of the population, but 50% of the blasphemy cases are directed against them:

Minority Rights Group International : Press releases : UN review of Pakistan: Urgent protection needed for minorities

Either these non-Muslims are suicidal and therefore provoke blasphemy comments to get themselves killed, or they are being deliberately targeted and persecuted.

It is possible that they (like many people) find it hard to control their mouth.

I told my brother (who is a hardcore atheist) that under no circumstances should he ever travel to a country with blasphemy laws, because he finds it hard to control his mouth.

I was actually thinking of my personal experience.

One of my distant family members is a Chinese Christian living in Canada, and when I was young I remember her saying "If you are not a Christian you will go to Hell".

And I have seen cases where Muslims will also say "If you are not a person of the book, you will go to Hell".

But even though they may believe this to be true (according to their theology - fair enough) isn't it insulting to other religions as well? Does that come under such laws?

I know what you mean, in SG one gets to experience this kind of overzealous behaviour of new converts all the time.

In Pakistan however its rather one sided, for example muslims can say Jesus is not son of God - which is offensive to muslims, but Christians can not say their opinion of the Muslim prophet (purely as per christian belief BTW).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom