What's new

This is not our war? Still?

This is our war...this is indeed our war ! There can be no two ways about it. However, having said that, we must be conscious enough to say that Our War on Terror isn't the American led War on Terror; our war and their war have profoundly different dynamics, different time-frames and different dilemmas ! I think the Military is more than conscious of this but I do wonder whether the people are or not. Even though their war and our war overlap in a few places where both our interests converge and more importantly where they diverge, we cannot be held hostage to their plans just as they will never be held hostage to ours. The sooner we're able to realize this on a 'societal level' the more quickly and with greater would we be heading towards its eventual end.

Pakistan Zindabad ! Pak Fauj Paindabad ! :pakistan:

Well, the problem seems to be that a majority of Pakistani society wants to head down the current path, without any substantive changes, until the inevitable crash.

Well, the problem seems to be that a majority of Pakistani society wants to head down the current path, without any substantive changes, until the inevitable crash.
And, of course, the majority of a Muslim community must always be right because Allah doesn't permit otherwise!

And, of course, the majority of a Muslim community must always be right because Allah doesn't permit otherwise!

No, that is incorrect.

Allah loves diversity of all kinds - witness His creations, including the power of independent and critical thought.

This was not our war but now it has became our war

Buddy, it became your war the day your government got involved in the Afghanistan 30 years ago.

From that day, to combating Russians, to nurturing Taliban as a future potential weapon against us, to Taliban getting stronger and literally independent off your resources.. it has always been your war.

The funny thing is; neither Russians nor Afghans asked you for poking your nose in. Just that your jurnails thought it would be fun to attempt to make Afghanistan a part of Pakistan (which didn't and instead Pakistan started becoming post-war Afghanistan).

The blunder of one jurnail (Zia) is what your generation is paying for even today.

It has always been their legacy; we tried telling you but you didn't listen to us at that time.

There have been numerous initiatives to resolve regional crisis in the past but it has all been thwarted because some generals were fearful of losing their political power to civilian leaders in Pakistan.

No, that is incorrect.

Allah loves diversity of all kinds - witness His creations, including the power of independent and critical thought.
I agree, but followers of ijma do not. I get the ijma argument a lot as some Pakistanis seek to find ways to justify collective and personal enmity towards Jews, America, and Israel once other arguments have been chopped to bits.

I think your statement is pretty naive and unrealistic to say the least. I know this region, both sides, the Indian and the Pakistani. There are fundamentals on both ends, hindu fundamentals have killed plenty of hundreds of people if you do some research. Both Christians and Muslims. And we all know the situation in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

So it has nothing to do with Allah specifically. There are crazy followers of God, Allah, Bhagwan, Yahweh....that like to spill innocent blood and thrive on terrorism. So it is not limited to just sect. I do agree that societies like Pakistan and India, do need some tolerance, mutual respect and courtesy. Killing people due to their religion or differences is insane and it just shows how mentally retarded a person committing such acts can be!

Going back to the topic, I think the issue here's not that Pakistani's don't see terrorism and how it's impacting their daily lives. I think the issue is two fold. One is how to magnify the negative impact of such acts so they don't just become a routine with which an average Pakistani has to live with on daily basis. Second, the corrective path (Education and Jobs). If you combine these two factors in addition to the military campaign by the US and the PA, this becomes a cure for all evil if you will.

Killing terrorists right now is a short term solution. Signifying the national priority to get ride of this fundamental crap and then Establishing institutions that stop the creation of these crazy minds is the real work. These institutions include schools and jobs. I think we (the US) should focus on that aspect as well. As that is the ONLY long term solution that can actually fix the root cause. The US should help the Pakistanis to initiate a media war where these incidents and their impacts are highlighted more than just a headline in the news or on the news paper. The country has 200 million people. I think may be 5 - 10% are towards the fundamental side. So strong media campaign will turn people's focus towards understanding that this is in fact their war and it's their next generation's war. So they have to support it so their lives and their next generation's lives can be better. Once that's achieved and there are good institutions around the tribal belt and jobs, I think slowly but surely you'll start to see a sea of change.

Back
Top Bottom