What's new

THE WRATH OF GOD

Someone also told me that although Hindu's see God in all things, they recognize only one absolute power Brahman as the only one real God

3 sects of Hinduism

Polytheistic - Belief in more than one God

Monotheistic - Belief in only one God (Brahman the absolute truth) - (Shaivites - Only believe in Lord Shiva) (Shaktism - Only believe in Goddess Shakti) (Vaishnavites - Belief in only Vishnu)

Atheistic/Agnosticism - Belief in no God, but follows traditions cultures and values as polytheists and monotheists

People should follow their religion n respect other's religion(off topic i guess but wanted to say it)

3 sects of Hinduism

Polytheistic - Belief in more than one God

Monotheistic - Belief in only one God (Brahman the absolute truth) - (Shaivites - Only believe in Lord Shiva) (Shaktism - Only believe in Goddess Shakti) (Vaishnavites - Belief in only Vishnu)

actually concept of God in Hinduism is complicated for non hindu to understand. What he told me that Hindu believe in existence of one God in various forms. For instance in the form of male Gods like Shiva, Vishnu etc, female Goddesses like Durga, Shakti, etc and animal Gods like Ganesha (Elephant God), Hanuman (Monkey god) etc and each form of God is a manifestation of a specific trait. The one God Brahman shows itself in many realities and functions. These functions are referred to as gods but they are all part of one all powerful God Brahman and Hindus may worship these separate gods as pieces to the whole :)

But brahman only has one temple right?and shiva hundreds

No that's "Lord Brahma"

According to the Hindu Trinity or "Trimurti" It's Brahma - The creator, Vishnu - The preserver and Shiva - The destroyer

"Brahman" - Is the Absolute Truth, that has no form. universal Spirit that is the origin and support of the phenomenal universe. Brahman is sometimes referred to as the Absolute or Godhead, which is the Divine Ground of the primordial Being Hiranyagarbha and all subsequent Creation. Brahman is conceived as personal (with qualities), impersonal (without qualities) and supreme depending on the philosophical school.

The sages of the Upanishads teach that Brahman is the ultimate essence of material phenomena (including the original identity of the human self) that cannot be seen or heard but whose nature can be known through self-knowledge (atma jnana). According to Advaita doctrine, a liberated human being (jivanmukta) has realised brahman as his or her own true self (see Atman).

The word "Brahman" is traditionally derived from the verb ((brh)) (Sanskrit: to grow), and connotes greatness and infinity. The Mundaka Upanishad says:

Auṃ- That supreme Brahman is infinite, and this conditioned Brahman is infinite. The infinite proceeds from infinite. If you subtract the infinite from the infinite, the infinite remains alone.

actually concept of God in Hinduism is complicated for non hindu to understand. What he told me that Hindu believe in existence of one God in various forms. For instance in the form of male Gods like Shiva, Vishnu etc, female Goddesses like Durga, Shakti, etc and animal Gods like Ganesha (Elephant God), Hanuman (Monkey god) etc and each form of God is a manifestation of a specific trait. The one God Brahman shows itself in many realities and functions. These functions are referred to as gods but they are all part of one all powerful God Brahman and Hindus may worship these separate gods as pieces to the whole :)

Very true. Hence that would actually fit into the "polytheistic" as well the "monotheistic" category. However there are numerous of "Hindu" interpretations that lead to a belief. I agree it isn't an organized religion such as Islam, Judaism or Christianity.

However even the beliefs of the 10 incarnations of Vishnu are explained in such a way that mythological stories are told.

I guess you have to see the "bigger picture" in order to realize what is actually being said. Usually people just go by the mythological stories and thus create the belief by going by what is written down.

Very true. Hence that would actually fit into the "polytheistic" as well the "monotheistic" category. However there are numerous of "Hindu" interpretations that lead to a belief. I agree it isn't an organized religion such as Islam, Judaism or Christianity.

However even the beliefs of the 10 incarnations of Vishnu are explained in such a way that mythological stories are told.

I guess you have to see the "bigger picture" in order to realize what is actually being said. Usually people just go by the mythological stories and thus create the belief by going by what is written down.

Theology is my fav subject so i have studied different religions. We can also claim that Christianity( i mean catholic branch) is also not monotheistic in pure sense because they also believe in trinity which is God exist in three forms(God the Father, God the Son, and God The Holy Spirit)

Theology is my fav subject so i have studied different religions. We can also claim that Christianity( i mean catholic branch) is also not monotheistic in pure sense because they also believe in trinity which is God exist in three forms(God the Father, God the Son, and God The Holy Spirit)

awesome !!

Hinduism is a combination of many beliefs and many gods. Because it is not a revealed religion( started by one guy who claimed to talk to God) but a evolved religion, it has different mutually exclusive beliefs within itself.

So you will have many polytheists, many monotheists and even some atheists all claiming to be hindu.
So basically does not matter what you believe, if you call yourself hindu, you are a hindu. Even if you eat beef :)

Hinduism is a combination of many beliefs and many gods. Because it is not a revealed religion( started by one guy who claimed to talk to God) but a evolved religion, it has different mutually exclusive beliefs within itself.

So you will have many polytheists, many monotheists and even some atheists all claiming to be hindu.
So basically does not matter what you believe, if you call yourself hindu, you are a hindu. Even if you eat beef :)

Hinduism is a way of life comprising many cultures and beliefs of what constituted many states of current India prior to the British invasion. The fundamentals of Hinduism arise from the messages contained in the Vedas and other scriptures. Athiests have the general attitude that there is no God and that the concept of God is a myth. Hinduism as a religion frowns on that attitutude and encourages the worshipping of a Supreme Soul in whatever form you may wish to worship the Almighty on the basis that the human mind is way too incapable of visioning God in the true form. Your assumption therefore that an athiest can call themself a Hindu holds no weight. It is similar to stating that a Jew can call himself a Muslim since the Prophet of Islam acknowledged Jesus or that since Islam says that God has no form then an athiest is therefore a Muslim. I have yet to come across any authorative Hindu scripture which either forbids the eating of meat or beef in particular. I suspect that this may just have been culture and not religion.

Someone also told me that although Hindu's see God in all things, they recognize only one absolute power Brahman as the only one real God

Actually you are right to some extent but brahman is not God(in Abrahamic sense). IMO there is no equivalent of god in Hinduism, it has devas, ishwara, parameshwara and Brahman. Missionaries have misinterpreted many of Hindu terms for their own advantage.

Hinduism is a way of life comprising many cultures and beliefs of what constituted many states of current India prior to the British invasion. The fundamentals of Hinduism arise from the messages contained in the Vedas and other scriptures. Athiests have the general attitude that there is no God and that the concept of God is a myth. Hinduism as a religion frowns on that attitutude and encourages the worshipping of a Supreme Soul in whatever form you may wish to worship the Almighty on the basis that the human mind is way too incapable of visioning God in the true form. Your assumption therefore that an athiest can call themself a Hindu holds no weight. It is similar to stating that a Jew can call himself a Muslim since the Prophet of Islam acknowledged Jesus or that since Islam says that God has no form then an athiest is therefore a Muslim. I have yet to come across any authorative Hindu scripture which either forbids the eating of meat or beef in particular. I suspect that this may just have been culture and not religion.

Hinduism is a religion as practiced, not a religion as written in books. Hindus may revere vedas, but they predate hinduism.

Actually you are right to some extent but brahman is not God(in Abrahamic sense). IMO there is no equivalent of god in Hinduism, it has devas, ishwara, parameshwara and Brahman. Missionaries have misinterpreted many of Hindu terms for their own advantage.

Very true . actually the idea of creation and creator is alien to HINDUISM.
Even though there are slokas in puranas sayin brhama ( not Brahman) is creator.
vedas and Upanishads says there is no creator and no creation , its all Maya .

Can we stop discussing Hinduism here and focus on the topic ..

@Thread starter : Thread Reported.. Stop enjoying other's misery..

Back
Top Bottom