What's new

The world's smallest drone

VCheng

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Flight of the tiny robo-fly: World's smallest drone weighs less than a gram and navigates using light-sensitive 'eyes'
  • The Robo-fly has a carbon fibre body weighing 106mg - a fraction of a gram
  • Its pair of flapping wings is powered by electronic ‘muscles’
  • The drone is powered and controlled through a lightweight tether wire and can perform the agile manoeuvres of the ubiquitous insects
  • It balances thanks to a pyramid shaped light sensor on top of its ‘head’
  • Device could be used in search and rescue operations, to squeeze through collapsed rubble, monitor environmental conditions, and pollinate crops
  • It is the first time this process has been achieved in a machine so small
By SARAH GRIFFITHS

From large military unmanned aircraft to cheap and cheerful quadcopters, drones are becoming increasingly diverse.

Now, a robot the size of a fly is set to become the world’s smallest.

The robo-fly has a carbon fibre body weighing just 106mg - a fraction of a gram - and a pair of flapping wings powered by electronic ‘muscles.’

article-2660255-1EDD5FBC00000578-161_634x489.jpg

+4
The robo-fly (pictured) is the smallest drone in the world and has a carbon fibre body weighing just 106mg - a fraction of a gram - and a pair of flapping wings powered by electronic muscles

THE TAKE OFF OF THE TINY DRONE
The Robo-fly has a carbon fibre body weighing just 106mg - a fraction of a gram - and a pair of flapping wings powered by electronic ‘muscles.’

It is powered and controlled through a lightweight tether wire and can perform the agile manoeuvres of the insects.

It finds its balance in the air thanks to a pyramid shaped light sensor on top of the ‘head’ - the first time this has been achieved in a machine so small.

Past models have required external cameras to perform corrective manoeuvres.

Harvard University scientists were inspired by biology, because insects achieve the feat relying just on their ‘onboard’ senses.

They based their model on simple light sensitive eyes called ocelli found in bees, flies and other insects which are similar in design to our’s due to their single lens.

While it may be small, it could prove mighty useful as it is designed to be used in search and rescue operations, because it can squeeze through tiny spaces in collapsed rubble.

The diminutive drone could also be used to monitor environmental conditions and even pollinate crops in the future.

It is powered and controlled using a lightweight tether wire and can perform agile manoeuvres like insects.

More here:

World's smallest drone Robo-fly weighs less than a gram | Mail Online

Lol the last time i proposed a mini scout drone, i literally got shit spewed upon me by some "Think Tanks".....
Cause you know it ain't possible unless it's white.

Here it is. But it's tethered and not autonomous. And that, unfortunately, limits its flexibility.

Here it is. But it's tethered and not autonomous. And that, unfortunately, limits its flexibility.

There are untethered versions too. ;)

Lol the last time i proposed a mini scout drone, i literally got shit spewed upon me by some "Think Tanks".....
Cause you know it ain't possible unless it's white.

You could try to make a small one yourself.

Of course! Anything is possible as long as there is the vision.
I'd add will too. But i am also a realist and don't want to come off as proposing spaceships yet. But there is no such thing as point less or wasted R&D.

You could try to make a small one yourself.

right now, Pakistan don't have any research going in nano carbon tubes. I believe with those even lighter are possible, but problem will be cell/battery weight. Since I think wired drones are almost useless. Never the less, this demonstration can bring much more ideas to achieve something really amazing.

right now, Pakistan don't have any research going in nano carbon tubes. I believe with those even lighter are possible, but problem will be cell/battery weight. Since I think wired drones are almost useless. Never the less, this demonstration can bring much more ideas to achieve something really amazing.

Nanotechnology will be a major field in this regard, you are correct. And there are many projects going on right now to provide for long distance untethered charging for such drones.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom