What's new

The World's 25 Dirtiest Cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleanup drives, delhi and mumbai.

mel_090209_rons20.jpg

img22.jpg

New Delhi of 2007 and that of 2010 is whole lot different. Work in going on 24/7 for CWG. I can't recognize my own city now, New Delhi has turned into a hot and happening European city. Let's wait for new survey results.

India should do what Iran does
just get some poor guys and give them a shovel and one of these ghetto brooms and you're golden!
seriously, in Iran you'll see one of these men walking in every street. India has millions of people that don't have jobs so you don't have to pay much!

India’s Dirty City – Kolkata. | FizMoh.com – All the Informations and How To's Guides

India’s Dirty City – Kolkata.
Posted by The Latest News on February 27th, 2010
Apparently i was in Kolkata. Kolkata is also an metropolitan city and one of the busiest city of india, But what i will rate it is one of the dirtiest City of India.

So lets start with the International Airport, I was travelling from Singapore to Kolkata Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport with some of my guest from Ireland and Israel. We landed at 12:39 AM on time arrival the weather was 27 Degree Celsius which is quiet cool. So we are were excited as were really tired and needed some rest . So we started to walk to clear our immigration as soon as i saw the interiors of the airport i was like What the **** kolkata SCB International Airport. the entire hall was spelling of pee and **** it was , most parts of Walls were orange in color not because it was painted but because it was Splited pan and Gutka. **** it was i saw everywhere it was hall full of foreingers many of them were here to do business, I doubt how could Our goverment would be this irresponsible , ok now however i managed to get out of the airport took a Taxi Ambassador (1970 model ) and it was stinking **** big time. and asked the driver to drop me at hotel Gulshan international. i checked in and enter the room just to notice that 2 star hotel used old beds and have very dirty bathroom in credit. and they have guest from new zealand all over for a charity function at mother thearesa fondation.

So it was next day i thought to roam around the city and see what is this city about. we started from Park Circus to dhakuria , and then salk lake city to dum dum , and then how could i forget visiting Howrah,, Yak i dont know why i did. it was the more dirtiest place i visited in my whole life .

I’ve decided i am not going to visit kolkata; until goverment decide to clean it up.

New Delhi of 2007 and that of 2010 is whole lot different. Work in going on 24/7 for CWG. I can't recognize my own city now, New Delhi has turned into a hot and happening European city. Let's wait for new survey results.

recently the Mayor of Paris (France) has visited Delhi and praised Delhi for its pace of development and was saying that he see the construction everywhere this is the sign of truly a great city and Paris has also undergone this.

The Karachi Mayor has done for the city what bread has done for English breakfast.

3099136086_7026e318a3_o.jpg

169419938_3c09794175.jpg

Thats Some what true from this Report from Hindustan Times ...

Mumbai and Delhi are among the 25 dirtiest cities in the world while the four Indian metros and Bangalore are among the 20 densest cities, according to the Forbes magazine.

The US business magazine also lists Sukinda in Orissa and Vapi in Gujarat among the 10 most polluted places globally.

While listing Mumbai as the seventh dirtiest, the magazine also cites a recent private sector proposal, Vision Mumbai, which seeks $1 billion government aid for infrastructure, pollution control and economic growth strategy.

Delhi at No.24 fares little better but gets drubbing for the pollution in Yamuna river, which is devoid of marine life and where "garbage and sewage flow freely, creating a rich environment for the growth of water-borne diseases contributing to extremely high rates of infant morbidity."

In neighbouring Bangladesh, Dhaka, with lead-poisoned air and water pollution from pesticide use, gets the dubious distinction of being the second dirtiest city in the world.

The top slot as the dirtiest city in the world is taken by Baku in Azerbaijan, suffering life-threatening levels of air pollution emitted from oil drilling.

The list, now on the magazine's website, is based on Mercer Human Resource Consulting's ranking of over 200 cities worldwide on levels of air pollution, waste management, water potability, hospital services, medical supplies and the presence of infectious diseases. New York was used as the norm.

In an earlier Forbes list of the 20 densest urban areas in the world, Mumbai and Kolkata occupied the top two slots, packing in over 23,000 people per square kilometre.

India and China combine to claim nine of the 20 slots, according to 2007 statistics from citymayors.com.

Chennai is at No.8, Delhi at No.13 and Bangalore at No.19 in the list of densely populated cities. Karachi in Pakistan is at No.3.

Living in a dense place affects quality of living, unless you have loads of money and the place is gentrified like Tokyo and New York, the magazine commented. Dense is, however, a relative term. "A Mumbai native visiting New York is bound to feel like a New Yorker vacationing on a Wyoming dude ranch," it added.

In Forbes' list of 10 most polluted places on earth, two Indian towns figure. In Sukinda, Orissa, large swathes of the area's surface water and drinking water contain very high covalent chromium levels, potentially affecting 2.6 million people, the magazine said.

Sukinda is home to almost all of the country's chromite ore deposits and one of the largest opencast chromite ore mines in the world.

In Vapi, the pollutants are chemicals and heavy metals from industrial estates, potentially affecting over 70,000 people. Mercury in the groundwater here is reported to be 96 times higher than the World health Organisation (WHO) standards.

Local produce can contain up to 60 times more heavy metals, such as copper, chromium, cadmium and zinc than non-contaminated produce in control groups, Forbes reported.

China and Russia contributed another two cities each to the 10 most polluted places list, prepared by the non-profit Blacksmith Institute.

"In some towns, life expectancy approaches medieval rates, and birth defects are the norm, not the exception," according to the institute. "In others, children's asthma rates are measured above 90 percent and mental retardation is endemic."

Forbes added: "Fast-track economic growth and years of unregulated mining and chemical production have laid waste to the homes of millions."

Last edited:
So you cannot ask you fellow countrymen who started derailing the thread to stop but you are holding others accountable who are just replying to his offensive comments.

Well, cannot expect anything different, can we now.

Their own reflection is too gruesome for them to comprehend.

Karachi Mayor Mustafa Kamal is worlds 2nd best mayor

November 10th, 2008 - 4:58 pm ICT by ANI -

Karachi, Nov 10 (ANI): Karachi Mayor Syed Mustafa Kamal has won the distinction of being the worlds second best Mayor for the year 2008, for his innovative urban planning, courting foreign investment, encouraging international ties, and boosting the city’’s tourism.

American magazine Foreign Policy chose Mustafa Kamal, besides Berlin Mayor Klaus Wowereit and Wang Hongju, Mayor of Chongqing, who stood first and third, respectively.

No city globalises on its own, but with shrewd investments and smart urban planning, a mayor can help turn a regional player into a global powerhouse. Here’’s how three of the world’’s top mayors are climbing the ladder, The News quoted the magazine as saying.

About Syed Mustafa Kamal, it wrote that the mayor of Karachi was an unlikely poster child for innovative urban planning.

It said the 36-year-old Karachi Mayor governs a city that’’s more often in the news for religious violence than cosmopolitan ways. But the hard-charging Kamal is looking to change all that. He’’s courting foreign investment, encouraging international ties, and boosting the city’’s tourism, added the magazine.

In a statement from London on Sunday, Mustafa Kamal said that all credit for this should go to his party MQM chief Altaf Hussain who, he added, selected the representatives from lower and middle class that represents 98 percent of the total population of the country.

It is also the recognition of the philosophy of MQM and the 30-year- long struggle of its leader Altaf Hussain, he added. (ANI)

Karachi Mayor Mustafa Kamal is worlds 2nd best mayor

You are the one who is derailing

1. why u have posted GDP is it the topic?????

2. The thread starter has started a foolish flame by posting a 2 year old news.

Someone else posted the GDP data before me, were you born an irritating person or it did you master this art later in life.

Karachi has become very clean and beautiful, it was very dirty in the 90's

The Karachi Mayor has done for the city what bread has done for English breakfast.

I guess your mayor missed the grande Lunch of UNDP report

Karachi's Orangi beats Slumdog Millionaire's Dharavi in Mumbai as Asia's largest slum - Telegraph

Mumbai's Dharavi, the squalid shanty town that provides the backdrop to the Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire, has been displaced by Orangi in Karachi as Asia's largest slum, according to a new development report.

Read the news first,

The report, compiled by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation with assistance from the United National Development Programme, found that while Dharavi has 57,000 families living in overcrowded huts with poor sanitation, Orangi on the outskirts of Karachi is home to more than a million people living in poverty.
Since the release of Slumdog Millionaire earlier this year, Dharavi's notoriety has become global, and its inhabitants have been identified with malnutrition, disease, violence, child slavery, begging and organised crime.

But the Brihanmumbai report said its reputation was no longer justified. "Dharavi is not Asia's largest slum, Karachi's Orangi Township has surpassed Dharavi," it claimed.

Orangi has become notorious in its own right as an illegal settlement where rival ethnic Pathan and Bihari gangs clash and Islamic terrorists go into hiding. Its people are denied government social services because it has no official status.

But Parveen Rehman, of the Orangi Pilot Project, said the word "slum" did not do justice to its hard-working people, who had developed their own welfare system.

"People are poor but they are not destitute, they're working class. It's one of the poorest settlements. People have arranged their own schools, clinics and water supply. They are a great example of people helping themselves.

"The biggest problems are security and employment. It is a hide out for terrorists and criminals. It's easy to disappear here," she said.

And look a this too, an exemplary project to help orangi town, still going on to this day.

Orangi Pilot Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kid ..!!!! You say Others to not to Troll...and Runs to Mod for asking Ban on that member.....You also doing the Trolling by posting information about karachi ...IF you want I can provide you lots of pics of Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Hydrabad and Chennai...!!!!

PLease Dont go off the Topic ...!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom