What's new

the urdu language script learning thread

@jamahir
Thanks for the tag.
More than anyone of us it's @WebMaster who should learn Urdu. Lolz

@jamahir
I think I had told you earlier that I can read bits and parts of Arabic so I can decode Urdu in emergencies.Lolz
As far as I know Urdu has a different style of using matras compared to Arabic (matras in Hindi.. I don't know what's it called in Urdu/Arabic).
And that some letters are missing in Urdu for example
Tipu is टीपूँ in Hindi (I can't delete the Chandra kala :( ).
But in Arabic/Urdu it is written as بىتو (if I am not wrong @Leader).
Urdu script is a branch of Nastaliq script not Arabic, and the Arabic (Hijazi) alphabet/script is a copy from Syriac alphabet.

Syriac alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hijazi script - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Furthermore, 'Kufic' which is today's Arabic script is invented in 'Iraq' and is very different from original Hijazi/Syriac script. @SALMAN AL-FARSI

[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kufic']Kufic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]

The first copies of Quran were written in Hijazi script but since 8th century copies of Quran are written in Kufic script.

Last edited:
@jamahir
Thanks for the tag.

@jamahir
I think I had told you earlier that I can read bits and parts of Arabic so I can decode Urdu in emergencies.Lolz
As far as I know Urdu has a different style of using matras compared to Arabic (matras in Hindi.. I don't know what's it called in Urdu/Arabic).
And that some letters are missing in Urdu for example
But in Arabic/Urdu it is written as بىتو (if I am not wrong @Leader).
You wrote "bito" not ٹیپو

If a Pakistani learn Persian script I think s/he can understand 50 - 60% of Persian language. @Horus is fluent in Persian.
It's very easy to learn.

I already can understand an article from its heading. that too without any learning but i cant speak, i am sure learning farsi/dari is more easy for Pakistanis then any other foreign language :) i think same for urdu. Most Afghani can speak and write urdu. it wont be difficult for any Iranian if s/he try. I saw Hamid Karzai speaking urdu for media interviwe in Pakistan. @2800

Last edited:
No, Not in Pakistan. As Pakistan's official languages have been Urdu & English from start. But yes it was court language of Punjab and North West Frontier Province until British replaced it with Urdu.

if one must go back to historical court usage of persian in the subcontient, other than the obvious selection being the mughal court, the great tipu sultan, the tiger of mysore, of south india, had persian as his court language though his administration also used the kannada language predominant to the mysore area and much of what is now karnataka state.

and surely, when he interacted with his french military advisers, the local french detachments and of course with napoleon bonaparte, he must have used the french language.

tipu was a internationalist, with much admiration for the french revolution, and established contact with various kingdoms in the world, including in iran[1]...
Like his father before him, Tipu Sultan maintained many embassies and made several contacts with Mohammad Ali Khan, ruler of the Zand Dynasty in Persia. Tipu Sultan also maintained correspondence with Hamad bin Said, the ruler of the Sultanate of Oman

@2800

---

[1] Tipu Sultan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@jamahir
Thanks for the tag.

@jamahir
And that some letters are missing in Urdu for example Urdu and Arabic (or atleast Arabic doesn't have any letter that sounds "pa" so they write tibu instead of Tipu.
But in Arabic/Urdu it is written as تيبو (if I am not wrong @Leader).

***Edited the Arabic word- I had swapped the letters earlier.

Persian have more letters than Arabic, and Urdu have more letters than Persian. which letter you found missing in Urdu? BTW you wrote Tipu in Arabic in Urdu it will be ٹیپو

Urdu script is a branch of Nastaliq script not Arabic, and the Arabic alphabet/script is a copy from Syriac alphabet.

Syriac alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh!
But I see a lot of similarities in both the scripts.

Persian have more letters than Arabic, and Urdu have more letters than Persian. which letter you found missing in Urdu? BTW you wrote Tipu in Arabic in Urdu it will be ٹیپو
Ofcourse!
I have an Arabic keyboard installed in my mobile. I don't have Urdu- I don't need it.
So what you have written in Urdu is TIPU or Tibu??? I asked because in Arabic there's no letter that has a "pa" sound....or so I think.

Ofcourse!
I have an Arabic keyboard installed in my mobile. I don't have Urdu- I don't need it.
So what you have written in Urdu is TIPU or Tibu??? I asked because in Arabic there's no letter that has a "pa" sound....or so I think.

Yes, it's exactly TIPU. Yes Arabic doesn't have "pa" and Persian doesn't have strong "T".

Yes, it's exactly TIPU. Yes Arabic doesn't have "pa" and Persian doesn't have strong "T".
Does Persian have any letter which sounds "sa"?
I have heard the reason why they switched to calling Indian subcontinent "Hindustan" was because they could not pronounce "sa", so Sindhu became Hindu.

I have heard the reason why they switched to calling Indian subcontinent "Hindustan" was because they could not pronounce "sa", so Sindhu became Hindu.

Fake story, far"si"

Yes they have, That reason doesn't make any sense as Indus is called Sind in Persian as well, not to mention word Farsi/Parsi itself have "sa" sound.

@jamahir
Thanks for the tag.

hmm, so he is a out and out burger baccha??. :D

@jamahir

i remember you were once talking with a member about arabic writing for "pepsi".

though you spectacularly failed when i had asked you to give me the summary translation of a libyan vid in arabic. :D

the dot in nastaliq and arabic and i suppose farsi is called nuqta... i don't know if there are other marks.

And that some letters are missing in Urdu for example Urdu and Arabic (or atleast Arabic doesn't have any letter that sounds "pa" so they write tibu instead of Tipu.
But in Arabic/Urdu it is written as تيبو (if I am not wrong @Leader).

***Edited the Arabic word- I had swapped the letters earlier.

al-bakistan. :D

and what coincidence !! i didn't see your post because i was typing mine and both our posts mention tipu !!

and i am not able to see the hindi font. :(

what is chandra kala?? it was in school that i last had anything to do with hindi grammar ( :D ) and i couldn't find it on google.

That's how they are read/pronounced .,

i see... i will process that tomorrow.

Oh!
But I see a lot of similarities in both the scripts.

Ofcourse!
Arabs can't spell these four letters: P (pakistan) Ch (chair) Zh (Jupiter) G (goal)

So they use similar letters for P, like B and F
For example Arabs call Pakistan = Bakistan
Tipu = Tibu
if one must go back to historical court usage of persian in the subcontient, other than the obvious selection being the mughal court, the great tipu sultan, the tiger of mysore, of south india, had persian as his court language though his administration also used the kannada language predominant to the mysore area and much of what is now karnataka state.

and surely, when he interacted with his french military advisers, the local french detachments and of course with napoleon bonaparte, he must have used the french language.

tipu was a internationalist, with much admiration for the french revolution, and established contact with various kingdoms in the world, including in iran[1]...

@2800

---

[1] Tipu Sultan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good info. :tup:

Back
Top Bottom