What's new

The unreasonable criticism on Pakistan's defense budget

- 75% of pensions are for military personnel.
[Reality is after 18th Amendment Federal government is left with few Federal employes and Armed Forces are largest in term of Federal government Employs]

- This is in a country with no social security and no medicare
[Again Social Security Programs of Federal Government]

Who told you we don't have Social Security department :what:

I know you have a social security department or something with that name. But it doesn't pay social security :enjoy:
On a serious note paying military personnel a comfortable pension while rest of country does not have anything creates a divide.

If you remove debt servicing and defense the rest of federal government has a budget equal to the military.
You are telling me that those employees get pensions much lesser than the military

View attachment 641456

Military Pensions alone is more than the entire expenditure of all 4 provinces combined. Let that sink in for a moment. Just the pension !. What kind of a nation are we? Why do we continue to put up with this crap when there are millions of people inside Pakistan dying of hunger , diseases and unemployment. At this point I can only think of North Korea which is similar in this regard.

Provincial budgets just end up into the pockets of the corrupt politicians while the Military budget supports over 1 million patriotic military families.

I know you have a social security department or something with that name. But it doesn't pay social security
Your earlier claim was that Pakistan doesn't even have a Social Security department & now you have accepted it that it does....However now you have changed your statement saying it doesn't pay anyone, please research again you might find something...or else do you want me to post payment receipts ....

With reference to your second claim we have another department & while you are at searching for payment receipts for SS please look up EOBI .... this gets deducted from Private sector employees if they choose too....we had a card for this EOBI for claiming benefits , i would have posted a photo of original card if it wasn;t for PERSEC reasons, but here is an example for you:

maxresdefault.jpg

we sud stay hungry but have to have heavy budget on defence. Indian western they dont want us to spend money on defence but the truth is we didnt have any helper in war or specially when we had atom experiment in 1998.
These patwaries and haters always suggest us to think about people economy when it comes to economy they tell us to concentrate on education, The truth is they dont want us to spend any money on Pakistani people its just argument over argument.
defence budget is our first and last survival line let these smart A$$ bark but we have to spend on our defence budget.

If you remove debt servicing and defense the rest of federal government has a budget equal to the military.
You are telling me that those employees get pensions much lesser than the military
We have Pay Scale that fall in line with each Basic Pay Scale , an Assistant Commissioner will have seperate pay scale & pension than a Steno or Driver in lower Pay Scale, same goes for Military too...Acha heres another fact for you....

When a Civil Servant regardless of occupational groups gets posted in any province their services get rendered to that province. Now a CS will have his salary depending on the Province they get posted too...a Customs officer can get double or even Triple salary while being posted in Balochistan & when posted in Federal Teritory they get the salary same as others. Their salaries are paid out of respective Provincial budget & not federal treasury department. Not all employees working in Govt Service at in Federal Service but instead a major lot of them are under PMS or PCS - Provincial Manamagent Service & Provincial Civil Service, hence the figure may not fall in line for the Pensioners when you take a look at Federal Budget stand alone .....

I hope this has cleared any confusion you may have had....

Provincial budgets just end up into the pockets of the corrupt politicians while the Military budget supports over 1 million patriotic military families.
your ranting is justified & i can understand the pain you all must be going through.....

what the **** is wrong with you....

did you go and fought all the wars we fought with India ?
Did you defeat Talibans ?
Did you stop indians feom trying mis adventures against Pakistan?

Pakistan exists because of our forces not because of cowards like you.
I am willing to bet my life that no one in your generations has ever fought for their country.
your type is the one who steals electricity and taxes and claim to be doing it for the civilian supremacy.
Repulsive and puke worthy folks ...

I appreciate your fine posts. You are right in what you are saying. Some members may be playing with the numbers and that is not right. I agree.

Brother i noticed one thing Khan have alot of indian supporter if you closely look they are just helping his narrative which is their's anyways,
i rather give 100% budget to army than our corrupt beurocrasy, police, medical, school even sports we are all corrupted in every single field instead of building institute we destroying with our own hands.

I appreciate your concerns, but you are trying to reach perfection. You cannot commend them, then cry that money is being spent, it is that money and the capability that was created from those resources that have allowed the successes you have recognised. But you prefer to complain, it does not make sense.

Look at our budgets in the 1980s, that was a crazy level of defence spending, but today our threats have increased and yet our defense budget as a proportion of government expenditure or percentage of GDP is a lot lower.

You simply cannot have it both ways, life is about balance, running a country is about balance, taking into account your circumstances, that being said we are doing ok. Please remember we have had constant instability in our region for 40 years. It is unfair not to recognise that, and keep putting the blame on our heads.

I agree. Pakistan needs to figure out how to do more with less.

Iran is a good example of this strategy. Saudis are outspending Iran 4-1 for every dollar, yet Iran is far ahead

Why?

Reason is ridiculously simple. Iran has embraced asymmetric warfare while Saudi is still doing conventional war.

Conventional war has always been far more expensive than asymmetric war. Asymmetric war is much cheaper and much more effective against a larger enemy. Asymmetric war is perfect for Pakistan fighting larger enemy like India, but since Pakistan is stubborn and refuses to go asymmetric, defence budget keeps rising because army insists on expensive and ineffective old ways of conventional warfare.

Cyber warfare is free yet Pakistan is not doing it. Drones and missiles are cheaper than Air Force yet Pakistan is not doing it. So of course Pakistan is going to have artificially bloated defence expenses as long as PA is stubborn and refuses to go asymmetric. Money that Pakistan could save by going asymmetric and ditching conventional warfare could be used to fund new things like Pakistan hypersonics and space.

Instead we have worst of both worlds because conventional war is more expensive and less effective than asymmetrics. I don't see that changing as long as current anti-technology toxic conventional mindset continues to exist in Pakistan military that ignores and neglects asymmetric war.

I really admire How our Pakistan Armed Forces and ISI, in the most difficult circumstances have fought 40 + countries agencies trying to make us Iraq, Syria and Libya. Its an unbeleivable job done for past 20 years.

But what pains everyone now as you can see on social media, twitter facebook and TV channels is when alot of waste is done by Army, and then NUST, 100+ Army companies fine, but put that money in Pakistani exchanger, in Pakistan treasure, they donot add it up, the income is never added back in Pakistan economy, then comes our high budgets with no audits, no checks no oversight and no management, look at the health and education budget. Pakistanis are dying with Covid-19, no beds, no ICUs, look at how badly Lahore is affected coronavirus, and look at our economy....and yet why the Armed Forces donot see it because they donot understand it how crucial our economy is linked to Pakistan's ultimate survival.

Not one decent argument of why Military has high budget as compared to Education and Health? You know why because these Army men know jackasss about it.

Army follows golden rule: Don't shit where you eat. They will ensure Army companies are well run because that's where they make their money.

Any company in Pakistan that doesn't have Army connections will be left to the dogs and thrown to the hyenas.

It’s hard to unpick these stats of federal expenditure on defence vs federal + provincial on health and education. If one compares the full picture, army budget seems more reasonable.

However, what’s worth criticising IMO is how we can afford such a big percentage increase in the army budget when the economy has barely grown previous fiscal year and may shrink in the coming year. All while IMF is instructing us to cut expenditure everywhere else in order to continue with reform. This is where people argue.. but look at India’s growing budget and capabilities, army needs more because of xyz threat etc.

However, I don’t think this giant increase in expenditure given the current situation can be justified. Not when the government will be saving on expenditure elsewhere (relative to % change in gov exp in comparable nations in covid related stimulus packages). Also, comparisons with Indian budget increases are wholly incorrect. Their GDP growth rate has and continues to outstrip ours, and they have the fiscal space and aren’t in the midst of a financial crisis with IMF breathing down their necks. Also, their expenditure as a % if GDP is obviously smaller than ours to begin with. And that dollar terms budget OP used is also invalid, our budget has increased faster if percentage growth in PKR and INR terms is used, we also had massive devaluation that the chart misses.

So some criticism of the army budget is completely justified. And with this government, that criticism is understandably amplified anyway.

Army expenditure problem will keep getting exponentially worse in the future unless Pakistan makes the switch from conventional to asymmetric warfare.

If your country is bigger than your enemy, conventional warfare is better.
If your country is smaller than your enemy, asymmetric warfare is better.

Asymmetric warfare is more effective and much cheaper than conventional warfare against an enemy.

Asymmetric warfare is three things:

1. Cyber warfare
2. Drones
3. Missiles

Pakistan is not using any of these right now. If we did, our defence expenses would decrease dramatically and our deterrence would increase significantly.

The issue with these idiots like you is they have a tunnel vision, Armed Forces will grow till judgement day as they stated, and you are an Indian, devoid of understanding what are we gonna do with a USSR type army without an economy and nothing to feed 220 million Pakistanis and exact plans to increase our GDP. When you ask them how Military machine is run and fed? Nil How are we going to pay back loan to IMF? blank....Tu aah jana phir, F10 Mcdonalds apney khabotar ley.

AC mein beta sao raha hai on 220 million awam's money, enjoying, or should i deliever a pizza in your Pindi Cantonment now for you to enjoy more.

What most people do not realize is that faltering economy is a national security threat to existence of Pakistan. Economy is what powers defence budget of Pakistan.

Everybody knows that India and Afghanistan are national security threat to safety of Pakistan but no one connects the dots that weak economy in Pakistan is almost as big a national security threat as India and Afghanistan.

Yes I was going through the budget document last night, its long...fck sake $40 billion loan taken from 2018 to 2021 and out of $40 billion, $27 billion Pakistan has to pay back in loan interest, rest $10 billion reserve and 3$ billion left to use in 4 years. Where have we got ourselves in. This is what our Military DONOT understand, 0 understanding of economics, taxes, manufacturing and use of 220m Human resources. Atleast if the Military waste is stopped, lavish expenditures, extra foreign trips of no use, and cut down by Army it will be a leading example for the country and a lot of money is saved.

No you must be more dumb to understand 72 years of history.

What I know is each Pakistani including Overseas Pakistanis have a loan of almost 2 lakh on each shoulder. Who is going to payback this????? Defaulters....cannot hide can you?

The issue with these idiots like Rafi and T/T is they have a tunnel vision, Armed Forces will grow till judgement day as they stated, devoid of understanding what are we gonna do with a USSR type army without an economy and nothing to feed 220 million Pakistanis and exact plans to increase our GDP. When you ask them how Military machine is run and fed? Nil.

One thing military could do is kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Pakistan must kill dead SUPARCO and start fresh, create a new military space agency and breathe some life into it. Start hiring scientists and researchers across Pakistan like crazy to pump up hypersonic and space research. Do the same thing for cyber, drone, and missile fields, create new military research agencies and start hiring people across Pakistan to do this research for military. Then Pakistan will increase economy and defence at the same time.

Thats the sad deliema of Pakistan...pinched the hardest nerve since last 70 years....Military can provide security only cannot provide jobs to 220m, it cannot be a manufacturing hub. Progress and Economic growth is done by Government Officers, when Military takes the chunk of money, 100 civilian companies run by Army, and then take the largest chunk of Budget too.....sorry but truth is Pakistan soon will head to default and its not too long. Alot of problems are clearly existing in the power structure of Pakistan.

I hope somebody can wake the hell up and switch Pakistan's defence strategy from conventional to asymmetric. It will decrease expenses and increase deterrence. We should have done this years ago, someone needs to slap some sense into military planners so they can realize how badly they have screwed up by neglecting asymmetric. Some major structural and hierarchy shakeup is necessary to loosen up rigid military structure because asymmetric is completely 180 opposite mindset of thinking than our current stack of rigid generals who cannot think outside the conventional box. Most likely all top military leaders will have to be fired or be asked to resign if they do not implement asymmetric strategy.

It's a fact that it's not working. We have snakes ruling our great state. I would say we need a powerful independent technocratic group of people who can make the long term policy of our government. Let the political parties go to elections and get elected, the main policies should be made by the technocratic people who could make policies for 50years and keep amending them as new challenges emerge, then let the government implement it. One problem is when we change government after 5 years, the new government takes a new direction, then after 5 years a new direction. We are suffering alot because of this.

I have been saying this forever. This is really a problem with democracy, there is no stability. Everything gets reset every 5 years and this is a nightmare in such an unstable region where long-term strategic planning is crucial. Gov't needs to be able to set aside 5 year reset somehow and focus on a long-term strategy that cannot be changed every 5 years.

Maybe the solution is to create some new independent autonomous body in Pakistan that creates an official 20 year long-term defence strategy that all political parties must agree to. So regardless of who wins elections every 5 years, defence strategy is consistent, stable, and allowed to mature over time without interruption every few years.

Selective pick and choose does not work. Dont fall in this trap of military budget. We need a strong army just like we need a strong economy. A strong economy will not survive without strong military. There are too many security challenge in the region. In fact, what we spend on military is less than what we should be spending. But for that we need strong economy.

Fully agree, weak economy as equal to or bigger threat to Pakistan's national security than India and Afghanistan because economy is what powers defence budget.

Nobody cried for the army to come. The army had to sort this stuff because they were the people that created these extremists in the first place during the 80s. So if army was killing them they werent doing anyone any favour because these people were the creation of the same generals. The people of Pakistan had to suffer because of these FA pass duffer generals .

Completely agree

Sometimes the bowl the soup is in is hotter than the soup itself

What has that to do with the military budget?lets say tommorow military takes 100 % of that budget . Then what? Kashmir is still in their control. What have our incompetent generals done to bring kashmir back? Nothing. Zilch . Nada

Sacrifices inside Pakistan have always been given by the civilians of Pakistan. Be it during independance or war on terrorism. The country shall always remain for the normal civilians of society. The days of coups and jarnails looting is gone.

And what have your people done for Pakistan? Except for terrorism, crimes, and love for their afgoni brothers? nothing nada! You are the type of people who only complain and ask for free stuff.
Remember, without Army Pakistan is a dumpster for India.

Even in 2020, people don’t understand the importance of a military for a country’s survival. All the countries with no military or weak military are destroyed. These people are not ready to talk about the corruption of the previous governments but ready to throw the trashy arguments over military budgets. Unfortunately, the previous government did not even used the entire given budget allotted for education & they want to increase it as if we were providing the best education to the students.
But yes let’s just talk about the military budget because that’s the sole reason for keeping Pakistan to not progress.

we sud stay hungry but have to have heavy budget on defence. Indian western they dont want us to spend money on defence but the truth is we didnt have any helper in war or specially when we had atom experiment in 1998.

defence budget is our first and last survival line let these smart A$$ bark but we have to spend on our defence budget.
If any thing defence spending shud go up especially in research like for future jet engines etc
The Pakistani Spl. Assist to PM on National Security disagrees with you:

if India can continue growing economically and diverting significant resources to defence while forcing Pakistan to remain wedded to a paradigm that prizes hard security over economic well-being, in a decade or two, the power differential will be so large that the only negotiation possible would be on the stronger party’s terms.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1437762

And what have your people done for Pakistan? Except for terrorism, crimes, and love for their afgoni brothers? nothing nada! You are the type of people who only complain and ask for free stuff.
Remember, without Army Pakistan is a dumpster for India.

Without Pakistan army , Pakistan will still be there and will survive. You cannot vanish 220 million people. But without the people there is no army. BC pesay hay nai bank may batay karwa lo tm logo say khali. Jang peso say ki jati hay , economy say ki jate hay. Without a strong economy you cannot have a military. Its not the otherway round. Forex reserves are $8 Billion. Tm logo nay is say India say jangay larni hay? BC pata nai kaha say uth kay ajatay hay. Dumbass.

Terrorism and extremism was created by general zia in the 80s. By opening up thousands of unregistered madrassas and supporting these so called mujahideen and extremists who came back and bite our *** down the road. 70K civlians died. So the army has to clean its act up and kill the very same frankenstein it created. Kisi par ihsaan nai

This country has been looted by the generals. They threw away the constitution and called it a piece of paper. Introduced extremism into our society. Our military needs competent generals not the current Aur daastanay suna loo patriotism ki ya kafi hay?

what the **** is wrong with you....

did you go and fought all the wars we fought with India ?
Did you defeat Talibans ?
Did you stop indians feom trying mis adventures against Pakistan?

Pakistan exists because of our forces not because of cowards like you.
I am willing to bet my life that no one in your generations has ever fought for their country.
your type is the one who steals electricity and taxes and claim to be doing it for the civilian supremacy.
Repulsive and puke worthy folks ...

I appreciate your fine posts. You are right in what you are saying. Some members may be playing with the numbers and that is not right. I agree.

Talibans were the creation of our military. Why do you keep on forgetting that. Hamid Gul and General Naseer Ullah Babar were the Godfathers of Taliban. They better clear up their own mess. Kisi par ihsaan nai hay .

What did wars with India bring us exactly? 1965 was started by ayub khan to seperate kashmir. We initiated it. It ended up costing us economically. Kargil was another blunder by another general. We lost soldiers for nothing and lost our standing on the kashmir issue in the international arena. Apni ghaltiyo say sekhna bi nai hay baatay karwa lo zameen aasmaan ki.

Syria
Yemen
Afghanistan
Iraq
Iran

Your definition to “exists” needs to be redefined. They exist too. Still don’t understand the importance of a potent military?

Pakistan needs to thrive and survive. It cant remain hostage to the military complex forever. Whats the use of existing like North Korea? 50 % of our people live below poverty line. Having a potent military and being completely overwhelmed by them are 2 very different things.

Potent military means doing your duties under the government and remaining in your domain. It does not mean throwing away constitutions , corruption , coups and generals enjoying their retirement looting tax money.

Back
Top Bottom