What's new

The United States Bans 28 Chinese Surveillance Companies Over China's Suppression of Uyghurs

But please be careful with language like that, you might be sent to re-education camp.
I genuinely like you and hope you are not harmed.
That shows exactly what I m talking about, you are so brainwashed by your media and knows next to nothing about real China.

Just holing a mirror up :toast_sign:
Criticizing and mocking the government is arguable number one pastime in China, and many celebrities become famous for doing that, check 毕福剑 and 袁腾飞。。

Criticizing and mocking the government is arguable number one pastime in China, and many celebrities become famous for doing that, check 毕福剑 and 袁腾飞。。
What about this guy?
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/09/asia/houston-rockets-fan-arrested-china-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Hong Kong (CNN)A 25-year-old Houston Rockets fan in China threatened to burn the Chinese flag in protest of the ongoing dispute between Beijing and the NBA team, and told police to "come and arrest him."

He was behind bars hours later.
Authorities in China's northeastern Jilin province said the man, Howard Wang, was accused of publishing "insults directed against the national flag" on Weibo, China's equivalent to Twitter. Wang was arrested shortly afterward and the case is being investigated, local police said in a statement.
It is illegal to desecrate the flag in China and offenders can face up to 3 years in prison.
Wang's social media post was published Sunday, a few days after longtime Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey sent a tweet in support of months-long anti-government protests in Hong Kong.
The Rockets have been arguably the most popular NBA franchise in China since the team drafted Chinese superstar Yao Ming in 2002. Yao played his entire NBA career in Houston.
Morey deleted the tweet and sent out an apology that failed to mollify the NBA's Chinese partners and infuriated politicians in the US who accused the league of prioritizing profits over values.
After being subject to withering domestic criticism, NBA commissioner Adam Silver released a more forceful statement defending the league's right to free speech.
"Values of equality, respect and freedom of expression have long defined the NBA -- and will continue to do so," Silver said. "The NBA will not put itself in a position of regulating what players, employees and team owners say or will not say on these issues."
Silver's response drew the ire of Chinese authorities and many angry citizens who said they would no longer support the Rockets. Some said they wouldn't buy Rockets gear unless Morey resigned. Several Chinese business have also suspended ties with the team.
On Weibo, some posters said if Morey can say whatever he wants, they would do so too, no matter how controversial. So they posted comments in support of 9/11 or the independence of California in an apparent attempt to mock the idea of freedom of expression.
https://www.cnn.com/specials/asia/hong-kong-protests-intl-hnk
It's unclear how many Chinese people would have supported Wang, as China's internet is heavily censored. Many people inside the country likely also self-censor because they are aware of the consequences of posting content that could get them in trouble with the government.
Wang's photograph showed him wearing a mask and and a patch over one eye, both common symbols among the protesters who have taken to the streets for the past 18 weeks in Hong Kong. While initially peaceful, demonstrations have become increasingly violent as the political unrest has dragged on.
Hong Kong police regularly use tear gas, pepper spray, rubber bullets and water cannons to disperse unauthorized demonstrations. Protesters have increasingly targeted police using Molotov cocktails and bricks. Protesters have also vandalized government property, the city's subway system and businesses perceived to be pro-China.

and before you do what-about-ism
Here are Americans burning their own flag
bedecent.jpg

American-flag-burning.jpg

What about this guy?
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/09/asia/houston-rockets-fan-arrested-china-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Hong Kong (CNN)A 25-year-old Houston Rockets fan in China threatened to burn the Chinese flag in protest of the ongoing dispute between Beijing and the NBA team, and told police to "come and arrest him."

He was behind bars hours later.
Authorities in China's northeastern Jilin province said the man, Howard Wang, was accused of publishing "insults directed against the national flag" on Weibo, China's equivalent to Twitter. Wang was arrested shortly afterward and the case is being investigated, local police said in a statement.
It is illegal to desecrate the flag in China and offenders can face up to 3 years in prison.
Wang's social media post was published Sunday, a few days after longtime Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey sent a tweet in support of months-long anti-government protests in Hong Kong.
The Rockets have been arguably the most popular NBA franchise in China since the team drafted Chinese superstar Yao Ming in 2002. Yao played his entire NBA career in Houston.
Morey deleted the tweet and sent out an apology that failed to mollify the NBA's Chinese partners and infuriated politicians in the US who accused the league of prioritizing profits over values.
After being subject to withering domestic criticism, NBA commissioner Adam Silver released a more forceful statement defending the league's right to free speech.
"Values of equality, respect and freedom of expression have long defined the NBA -- and will continue to do so," Silver said. "The NBA will not put itself in a position of regulating what players, employees and team owners say or will not say on these issues."
Silver's response drew the ire of Chinese authorities and many angry citizens who said they would no longer support the Rockets. Some said they wouldn't buy Rockets gear unless Morey resigned. Several Chinese business have also suspended ties with the team.
On Weibo, some posters said if Morey can say whatever he wants, they would do so too, no matter how controversial. So they posted comments in support of 9/11 or the independence of California in an apparent attempt to mock the idea of freedom of expression.
It's unclear how many Chinese people would have supported Wang, as China's internet is heavily censored. Many people inside the country likely also self-censor because they are aware of the consequences of posting content that could get them in trouble with the government.
Wang's photograph showed him wearing a mask and and a patch over one eye, both common symbols among the protesters who have taken to the streets for the past 18 weeks in Hong Kong. While initially peaceful, demonstrations have become increasingly violent as the political unrest has dragged on.
Hong Kong police regularly use tear gas, pepper spray, rubber bullets and water cannons to disperse unauthorized demonstrations. Protesters have increasingly targeted police using Molotov cocktails and bricks. Protesters have also vandalized government property, the city's subway system and businesses perceived to be pro-China.

and before you do what-about-ism
Here are Americans burning their own flag
bedecent.jpg

American-flag-burning.jpg
Simple, we are not America, we have different laws, US is never a standard in our eyes, I guess you'll get yourself in trouble burning your national flag in many countries, I don't know about Pakistan, but in China, yes, you can't do this, by the way, in China, unlike in US, possessing guns are also illegal.

Simple, we are not America, we have different laws, US is never a standard in our eyes, I guess you'll get yourself in trouble burning your national flag in many countries, I don't know about Pakistan, but in China, yes, you can do this, by the way, in China, guns are also illegal.

Very very true,
Chinese laws come from the power of one man.
Western laws come from the power of the people.

Well, he didn't actually burn the flag. So he got arresting for "saying" he will. Which goes to your point that Chinese people have freedom of expression. He clearly is in jail for expressing himself.

and Chewing gum is illegal in Singapore, I don't understand your point of that last line.

Very very true,
Chinese laws come from the power of one man.
Western laws come from the power of the people.
LOL, You can believe what you want to believe, happy that you are happy with yours just like we are happy with ours.

7629.jpg

In light of the continued suppression, detention, and mass surveillance of the Uyghurs by the Chinese government, the United States has blacklisted 28 Chinese public security companies, which potentially bars them from buying parts and components from US companies without US government approval. This decision follows a recent interim rule released by the U.S. government banning federal purchases of telecommunications equipment from five Chinese companies, reflecting the increased support of the United States for the oppressed people of East Turkestan, who are perpetually denied their fundamental human rights by the Chinese Communist Party.

This article was originally published by The Guardian

The US Commerce Department said on Monday it was putting 28 Chinese public security bureaus and companies – including video surveillance company Hikvision – on a US trade blacklist over Beijing’s treatment of Uighur Muslims and other predominantly Muslim ethnic minorities.

Those added to the so-called “Entity List” include the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region People’s Government Public Security Bureau, 19 subordinate government agencies and eight commercial firms, according to a Commerce Department filing. The companies include Zhejiang Dahua Technology, IFLYTEK Co, Xiamen Meiya Pico Information Co and Yixin Science and Technology Co.

The department filing said the “entities have been implicated in human rights violations and abuses in the implementation of China’s campaign of repression, mass arbitrary detention, and high-technology surveillance against Uighurs, Kazakhs, and other members of Muslim minority groups.”

The list includes municipal and county public security bureaus and the Xinjiang Police College.

US officials said the announcement was not tied to this week’s resumption of trade talks with China. Being added to the “Entity List” bars companies or other entities from buying parts and components from US companies without US government approval.

The Commerce Department previously added Huawei Technologies Co and more than 100 affiliates to the Entity List.

Hikvision, officially known as Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co Ltd, with a market value of about $42bn, calls itself the world’s largest video surveillance gear maker. Reuters reported in August Hikvision receives nearly 30% of its 50 billion yuan ($7 billion) in revenue from overseas.

Hikvision did not immediately comment on the Commerce Department’s move. The Chinese embassy in Washington also did not immediately comment.

In April, a bipartisan group of US lawmakers urged the move against Chinese companies it called “complicit in human rights abuses” and specifically cited Hikvision and Dahua.

China faces growing condemnation from Western capitals and rights groups for setting up facilities that UN experts describe as mass detention centres holding more than one million ethnic Uighurs and other Muslims.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said last week at the Vatican that “when the state rules absolutely, it demands its citizens worship government, not God. That’s why China has put more than one million Uighur Muslims ... in internment camps and is why it throws Christian pastors in jail.”

John Honovich, founder of surveillance video research company IPVM, said Hikvision and Dahua both use Intel Corp, Nvidia Corp, Ambarella Inc, Western Digital and Seagate Technology as suppliers and that the impact on the Chinese companies would be “devastating.” Shares in Ambarella fell 12% in after-hours trading on the news.

In August, the Trump administration released an interim rule banning federal purchases of telecommunications equipment from five Chinese companies, including Huawei and Hikvision.

Huawei has repeatedly denied it is controlled by the Chinese government, military or intelligence services and has filed a lawsuit against the US government’s restrictions.

https://unpo.org/article/21685

The irony is, the one who post this news comes from a country who kill their own muslim brethren in today war. Unless Kurds are not muslim.

You'd be surprised.
Just read some of the Indian comments even on PDF, they want a full eradication of Muslims.

I am no fan of the West, I think they are piggish people who have destroyed the world.

However, I do have an education and I can (unfortunately?) Think for myself.

The all evidence points to, at best discrimination of Muslims and at worst......

I apologise for thinking freely as I clearly have not had patriotic education.

Indian commenters on PDF hardly represent Indian government, I doubt Indian government has policy to kill every Muslim. You not fan of the west, yet you buy into those biased sometime downright lies western portrayal of china? Exactly what is the evidence, are you seeing mass graves anywhere, please show me.

Indian commenters on PDF hardly represent Indian government, I doubt Indian government has policy to kill every Muslim. You not fan of the west, yet you buy into those biased sometime downright lies western portrayal of china? Exactly what is the evidence, are you seeing mass graves anywhere, please show me.

India removing Kashmiri protection and have stated their intentions to replace the population with Hindus.

The thing is, everyone is bias. East West North South.
No one is here with only objective facts.

In my personal experience and research, the west is terrible at holding secrets.
A lot of the terrible stuff they do eventually comes out and their own media reports it.

Remember, it was the media that brought down a powerful president in Richard Nixon.

CPC on the other hand.... well they are so secretive that they even tried to hide an earth quake.
If the CPC was transparent, more people would believe them.

You talk about evidence but you wont trust "bias media"
That is a sign of being in a cult. No outside information will bring you out of the idea that CPC is extra-human and can make no mistakes.

All humans make mistakes, its how they deal with the mistakes that counts.

LOL, You can believe what you want to believe, happy that you are happy with yours just like we are happy with ours.

Oh I never would dream to ask you to change it.
I am just making an observation.

interesting you got so defensive over it

Oh I never would dream to ask you to change it.
I am just making an observation.

interesting you got so defensive over it
You too get defensive when Chinese posters badmouth your country, it's a natural response. you can make your observation and we have ours. Chinese government runs China well and better than many countries, that's our observation, as our observation for Pakistan, we don't know much about your country so I think I m in no position to comment.

You too get defensive when Chinese posters badmouth your country, it's a natural response. you can make your observation and we have ours. Chinese government runs China well and better than many countries, that's our observation, as our observation for Pakistan, we don't know much about your country so I think I m in no position to comment.

You can go through my entire post history, find one time I got defensive when Chinese posters bad mouth Pakistan or Canada. ( I do get defensive when Indians do it, but that's a different story :) )

You are trained since KG to love the CPC with your patriotic education, so I never get mad when you guys bad mouth any other country.
Its like getting mad at a puppy for doing something it was trained to do.

My only goal on here is to maybe show you a little mirror so you can see how no one is extra human.

And sure you are free to have your opinions, I respect that think CPC is doing a good job and I love to year you guys say it.

Problem is, when I say my opinion that the ROC did a better job and didn't have to kill 30 million Chinese people to do that job, you guys get really mad.

15-30 million is quite the disaster.
But please be careful with language like that, you might be sent to re-education camp.
I genuinely like you and hope you are not harmed.

Mao killed a lot more but Uyghurs are made to praise him and the CPC...:D

btw, watch this :rofl:

That shows exactly what I m talking about, you are so brainwashed by your media and knows next to nothing about real China.

rriiigggghtt....:lol:

I think we know about the "real" China more than you do bro...

All you know about is the "CPC" China. :D

7629.jpg

In light of the continued suppression, detention, and mass surveillance of the Uyghurs by the Chinese government, the United States has blacklisted 28 Chinese public security companies, which potentially bars them from buying parts and components from US companies without US government approval. This decision follows a recent interim rule released by the U.S. government banning federal purchases of telecommunications equipment from five Chinese companies, reflecting the increased support of the United States for the oppressed people of East Turkestan, who are perpetually denied their fundamental human rights by the Chinese Communist Party.

This article was originally published by The Guardian

The US Commerce Department said on Monday it was putting 28 Chinese public security bureaus and companies – including video surveillance company Hikvision – on a US trade blacklist over Beijing’s treatment of Uighur Muslims and other predominantly Muslim ethnic minorities.

Those added to the so-called “Entity List” include the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region People’s Government Public Security Bureau, 19 subordinate government agencies and eight commercial firms, according to a Commerce Department filing. The companies include Zhejiang Dahua Technology, IFLYTEK Co, Xiamen Meiya Pico Information Co and Yixin Science and Technology Co.

The department filing said the “entities have been implicated in human rights violations and abuses in the implementation of China’s campaign of repression, mass arbitrary detention, and high-technology surveillance against Uighurs, Kazakhs, and other members of Muslim minority groups.”

The list includes municipal and county public security bureaus and the Xinjiang Police College.

US officials said the announcement was not tied to this week’s resumption of trade talks with China. Being added to the “Entity List” bars companies or other entities from buying parts and components from US companies without US government approval.

The Commerce Department previously added Huawei Technologies Co and more than 100 affiliates to the Entity List.

Hikvision, officially known as Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co Ltd, with a market value of about $42bn, calls itself the world’s largest video surveillance gear maker. Reuters reported in August Hikvision receives nearly 30% of its 50 billion yuan ($7 billion) in revenue from overseas.

Hikvision did not immediately comment on the Commerce Department’s move. The Chinese embassy in Washington also did not immediately comment.

In April, a bipartisan group of US lawmakers urged the move against Chinese companies it called “complicit in human rights abuses” and specifically cited Hikvision and Dahua.

China faces growing condemnation from Western capitals and rights groups for setting up facilities that UN experts describe as mass detention centres holding more than one million ethnic Uighurs and other Muslims.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said last week at the Vatican that “when the state rules absolutely, it demands its citizens worship government, not God. That’s why China has put more than one million Uighur Muslims ... in internment camps and is why it throws Christian pastors in jail.”

John Honovich, founder of surveillance video research company IPVM, said Hikvision and Dahua both use Intel Corp, Nvidia Corp, Ambarella Inc, Western Digital and Seagate Technology as suppliers and that the impact on the Chinese companies would be “devastating.” Shares in Ambarella fell 12% in after-hours trading on the news.

In August, the Trump administration released an interim rule banning federal purchases of telecommunications equipment from five Chinese companies, including Huawei and Hikvision.

Huawei has repeatedly denied it is controlled by the Chinese government, military or intelligence services and has filed a lawsuit against the US government’s restrictions.

https://unpo.org/article/21685

Trump’s updated China blacklist slams shares of chipmaker Ambarella
Shares of chipmaker Ambarella fell as much as 12% in extended trading on Monday after one of its Chinese customers, video surveillance company Hikvision, was blacklisted by the U.S. government.

Hikvision was one of 28 companies the Commerce Department added to the so-called Entity List, restricting its ability to do business with American firms. Several component companies have been wrapped up in the U.S. government’s efforts to limit hardware manufacturers from transacting with Chinese companies, most notably Huawei. As the trade war intensifies, the list is expanding.

Ambarella, which makes processors for cameras and other vision systems, said in its most recent annual report that its video processing solutions are used by Hikvision, though it didn’t say what percentage of revenue comes from the Chinese company. Hikvision sells video cameras, video recorders and related equipment, and its products have reportedly been deployed to help with surveillance in China’s Xinjiang region, where Muslims have been placed in “re-education camps.”

Ambarella warned about the potential for trade conflicts to emerge in its latest quarterly report:

You can go through my entire post history, find one time I got defensive when Chinese posters bad mouth Pakistan or Canada. ( I do get defensive when Indians do it, but that's a different story :) )

You are trained since KG to love the CPC with your patriotic education, so I never get mad when you guys bad mouth any other country.
Its like getting mad at a puppy for doing something it was trained to do.

My only goal on here is to maybe show you a little mirror so you can see how no one is extra human.

And sure you are free to have your opinions, I respect that think CPC is doing a good job and I love to year you guys say it.

Problem is, when I say my opinion that the ROC did a better job and didn't have to kill 30 million Chinese people to do that job, you guys get really mad.

I don't think you really care about how Chinese manage the country, the West always bash CPC because they're afraid of a homogeneous big country becoming more advanced and independent.

If you are expecting China without CPC will be more comfortable for Muslims then you'll be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom