What's new

the Turkmen minority of Syria have been vanquished by the Arab majority backed by super power Russia

Not really. it's expected that Turkey will enact their plan of a safe zone in Syria this year, once that is done, they'll use that area to recruit Turkman and Sunni Arabs willing to fight for Turkey, to push back against Assad, ISIS, and the PKK/PYD. If things don't go Turkey's way, we might even see Turkey sending troops into Syria in an official capacity.

Not really. it's expected that Turkey will enact their plan of a safe zone in Syria this year, once that is done, they'll use that area to recruit Turkman and Sunni Arabs willing to fight for Turkey, to push back against Assad, ISIS, and the PKK/PYD. If things don't go Turkey's way, we might even see Turkey sending troops into Syria in an official capacity.

Turkey don't dare fight Russia. Even Ukraine didn't dare shoot a single bullet when Russia annexed Crimea.

And what if Russia starts arming the PKK, like they are doing in Donetsk, Ukraine?

With Russian troops in Syria, Erdogan's safe zone is a pipedream.

Turkey don't dare fight Russia. Even Ukraine didn't dare shoot a single bullet when Russia annexed Crimea.
Lol, first off, Turkey has already shot down a Russian fighter, but that's not my point.

If Turkey sends troops into Syria, they will coordinate with Russia to avoid each other, considering Turkey is a part of NATO.

Turkey wouldn't be fighting Russia, it would be fighting Assad and ISIS. Russia can only protect Assad to a limit, if turkey targets him in a military operation, Russia won't come to his rescue.

And what if Russia starts arming the PKK, like they are doing in Donetsk, Ukraine?
Turkey probably already expects it. If it happens, Russia will face further sanctions, as PKK is an internationally recognized terrorist organization.

Another issue arises, that Turkey can retaliate by funding (with the help of NATO nations) separatists in Russia, whom Russia has a lot of problems dealing with. Turkey is NOT Ukraine, so the comparison is flawed.

Turkey wouldn't be fighting Russia, it would be fighting Assad and ISIS. Russia can only protect Assad to a limit, if turkey targets him in a military operation, Russia won't come to his rescue.
The Russians are there to protect the fall of the state to jihadi elements. There is no way Turkey can intervene directly and avoid Russian forces and take out Assad.

With Russian troops in Syria, Erdogan's safe zone is a pipedream.
Quite the opposite, work has already started, and there is already a safe assumption by most analysts following Syria, that the US has already given political and material approval to Turkey for such a zone.

Officially, the zone will be created with the excuse that it will help with the refugee crisis (which it will), which means that the EU and the US will be on board; unofficially, it will be used to make an independent Kurdistan unviable, and will be used as a safe zone for rebel forces, and forces loyal to Turkey.

Lol, first off, Turkey has already shot down a Russian fighter, but that's not my point.

If Turkey sends troops into Syria, they will coordinate with Russia to avoid each other, considering Turkey is a part of NATO.

Turkey probably already expects it. If it happens, Russia will face further sanctions, as PKK is an internationally recognized terrorist organization.

Another issue arises, that Turkey can retaliate by funding (with the help of NATO nations) separatists in Russia, whom Russia has a lot of problems dealing with. Turkey is NOT Ukraine, so the comparison is flawed.
I am suprised at your naivety.

The Russians are there to protect the fall of the state to jihadi elements. There is no way Turkey can intervene directly and avoid Russian forces and take out Assad.
That's not true at all. Russia's only interest is it's base, and there are no indications that it would lose that base, no matter who came into power.

Even then, the reason why Russia is in Syria is to put pressure on the US. Russia's goal is to get the US to concede on Ukraine; Basically, Russia is saying "You get Syria, we get Crimea". Russia has already indicated that Assad is NOT necessary for peace in Syria.

Turkey is already HEAVILY involved in Syria, all that's missing is ground troops. Both Turkey and Russia CAN avoid each other, all they have to do is coordinate their operations. IF Turkey decides to take out Assad, they'll do so keeping in mind Russian forces that may be protecting him, which means that Turkey may use rebel forces instead of their own military, to target Assad.

I am suprised at your naivety.
I'm not surprised by your poorly thought out comment.

If you're going to make such useless comments, at least point out where I'm wrong.

ISISTurkeyMap.jpg

The safe zone I'm talking about. As you can see, it cuts right through what Kurdish rebels have declared their territory. Ethnic Turkmen already have a strong presence in the area, and are already clearing it out (with support from Ankara) to make way for the safe zone. The safe zone would cut off the Kurdish area from water, which would make the territory (that the Kurds claim) land locked, making any attempt at declaring independence next to impossible.

I'm not surprised by your poorly thought out comment.

If you're going to make such useless comments, at least point out where I'm wrong.

Russia has already link existence of Assad with presence of Russia in syria. Russia will back Assad and ensure he remains in power in syria and restore full control over syria.

Turkey will needs to face the wrath of Russian if they wanted to set foot on Syria soil. There are no proof of the so called safe zone which you make up of.

Russia has already link existence of Assad with presence of Russia in syria. Russia will back Assad and ensure he remains in power in syria and restore full control over syria.
Except it never has. Prove it.

Russia's end goal is to put pressure on the US, nothing more.

Turkey will needs to face the wrath of Russian if they wanted to set foot on Syria soil. There are no proof of the so called safe zone which you make up of.
There has been talks about a safe zone for a few years now, and it's fully expected to be implemented this year. Why would I make something like this up? I could care less about what happens in Syria, between the Russians and the Turks.

Let me google that for you...

http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=Syria+Turkey+proposed+safe+zone

By the way, Turkey has already "faced the wrath of Russia", when it shot down a Russian fighter. Your comment is pointless. Besides, Turkey already has unofficial presence in Syria, sending in troops officially, won't change anything.

That's not true at all. Russia's only interest is it's base, and there are no indications that it would lose that base, no matter who came into power.
disagree completely, Russian intent in Syria is to prevent the fall of the government, and that means Assad stays.There is no viable options among any of the so called opposition anyway, they're all a bunch of terrorist jihadi loons.

Even then, the reason why Russia is in Syria is to put pressure on the US. Russia's goal is to get the US to concede on Ukraine; Basically, Russia is saying "You get Syria, we get Crimea". Russia has already indicated that Assad is NOT necessary for peace in Syria.
Russia already have Crimea, that's not even up for discussion :disagree:

what they have said about Assad is wrt an eventual settlement after the war is over, he's not going anywhere for now till the jihadis are cleared out, and not just ISIS, but the rest of them too.

Turkey is already HEAVILY involved in Syria, all that's missing is ground troops. Both Turkey and Russia CAN avoid each other, all they have to do is coordinate their operations. IF Turkey decides to take out Assad, they'll do so keeping in mind Russian forces that may be protecting him, which means that Turkey may use rebel forces instead of their own military, to target Assad.
Turkey have been involved in supporting the so called rebel forces from day 1, they have also been the main point of entry for foreign jihadis (both ISIS and others) to enter Syria. No question of 'if' when they've repeatedly stated their goal of removing Assad from power and have been using 'rebel' forces to engage the SAA forever.

I don't think there is any chance of overt Turkish military action in Syria to enforce regime chance, specially now that the Russians are there.

disagree completely, Russian intent in Syria is to prevent the fall of the government, and that means Assad stays.There is no viable options among any of the so called opposition anyway, they're all a bunch of terrorist jihadi loons.
According to you. Russia doesn't care a single bit about the Assad or his government. They're doing it due to geopolitics.

Russia already have Crimea, that's not even up for discussion :disagree:

what they have said about Assad is wrt an eventual settlement after the war is over, he's not going anywhere for now till the jihadis are cleared out, and not just ISIS, but the rest of them too.
The reason why Russia's economy is suffering is due to sanctions that were put up, because of their invasion and annexation of Crimea. Russians realize that they need to do something, or the annexation will be worse than worthless, it will drain Russia's coffers.

As for Assad, Russia has indicated that Assad is disposable, but because of politics, they haven't actually out right said Assad should go. If Russia said it, their entire campaign would lose it's entire purpose, making it impossible for them to achieve their goals. The truth is, Russians don't care who's in charge in Syria, as long as their goals are met; this has always been the Russian way.

You have to look at reasoning, not just actions.

Turkey have been involved in supporting the so called rebel forces from day 1, they have also been the main point of entry for foreign jihadis (both ISIS and others) to enter Syria. No question of 'if' when they've repeatedly stated their goal of removing Assad from power and have been using 'rebel' forces to engage the SAA forever.
The "if" is for "if they succeed", and we can only know that once the Turks implement their plan successfully.

I don't think there is any chance of overt Turkish military action in Syria to enforce regime chance, specially now that the Russians are there.
I think there is, but even if the Turks don't go for regime change, they WILL go for the safe zone. The Turks main worry is the Kurdish forces, they will be Ankara's main target, along with ISIS. Assad is a secondary objective, nothing more. I can see Turkey using the same excuses that NATO used in Libya, to target bases where Assad and his inner circle are hiding.

Russian might is overrated. I have zero doubt that Turkey has the backing of both the US and KSA, and I have zero doubt that both are actively collaborating with Turkey; With Turkey, USA, and KSA, Russia hardly stands a political chance.

Back
Top Bottom