What's new

The Thugees of Bharat

roadrunner

Reaction score
I find this rather interesting.

There was a cult in India that lasted for about 500 years called The Thugee. This is where the word "Thug" is derived. Anyway they murdered thousands of travelers by strangulation utilizing a ritual waist-sash that they all wore. These murders were apparently done in the worship of the Indian goddess Kali. Eventually the British suppressed the group in the 1800's.
http://mindcontrolcult.tribe.net/thread/904c557a-d435-448d-8c13-2dcb0a0c7aa3

Could any of the Indian members enlighten us a bit more?

I always thought this was fiction (Indian Jones), but it appears there really was a blood cult in Bharat for many years. Is it scripturally based, or twisted?

Interesting the way Bharat contributed the word "thug" to the dictionary, which I will have to acknowledge.

Take your racist bullshit elsewhere. Thanks.

I don't think something out of the Indian history qualifies as "Racist".

Besides, now we all can take "Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom" as a historic depiction of the ancient Indian cults. :lol:

Yes thuggees were a cult in the 1700s and 1800s before the british crushed it. its a favourite villain in raj era movies (like the russians were in the cold war era movies ) :D

but the depiction in indiana jones was all wrong. dont know where to start!

Yes thuggees were a cult in the 1700s and 1800s before the british crushed it. its a favourite villain in raj era movies (like the russians were in the cold war era movies ) :D

but the depiction in indiana jones was all wrong. dont know where to start!

Frozen Monkey brains for dessert anyone? Lol, of course it was exaggerated in Indiana Jones. But even today if you visit the forums on IMDB for that movie, some Indians are fighting an epic battle to prove that they do not consume eye-ball soups. Morons!

Anyway, Thanks roadrunner for the interesting read.

I find this rather interesting.

There was a cult in India that lasted for about 500 years called The Thugee. This is where the word "Thug" is derived. Anyway they murdered thousands of travelers by strangulation utilizing a ritual waist-sash that they all wore. These murders were apparently done in the worship of the Indian goddess Kali. Eventually the British suppressed the group in the 1800's.
The Thugee - Cults - tribe.net

Could any of the Indian members enlighten us a bit more?

I always thought this was fiction (Indian Jones), but it appears there really was a blood cult in Bharat for many years. Is it scripturally based, or twisted?

Interesting the way Bharat contributed the word "thug" to the dictionary, which I will have to acknowledge.

Thugee did exist in parts of Central India in the early 1800, Mike dash has written a book called ' Thug" published by Granta Books, London.

This was a system wherein travellers were waylaid & killed for money. William Sleeman ( 1788- 1856) an officer of the East India Company led the brit campaign to eradicate Thugee, developing new police techniques to do so.

The areas where it was most prevalent were the Central Provinces, Saugor ( now called Sagar in MP), Bundelkhand, Malwa, Gwalior &parts of the Bengal & Bombay presidencies. Areas under control of the Marathas upto Etawah were particlarly prone to attacks by the thugs.

There is a town called Sleemanabad in MP today. Bands of men - hindus & muslims would travel frequented roads between states to waylay travellers, they had an elaborate system of informers & relied on wining confidence of the victims first by travelling with him / them for days before they committed the act.

The victims were british troops, officials & locals - alike.

Could give more details if called upon.

Take your racist bullshit elsewhere. Thanks.

you just posted how Women in Pakistan were abused and they cases went unreported.......was that not a Bullshit against Pakistan.

You forgot how Women are treated in India and Especially in Kashmir. First Look at yourself before pointing fingers at others.

RoadRunner is just asking a question about this "Thugees of bahrat" Is that true or False simple is that. If you don't wanna answer his question then don't post any thing on this thread as i have not posted anything on your thread about "women in Pakistan".

The Thugee were Kali worshippers.

Why would Muslims and Sikhs be worshipping Kali may I ask?

On wiki Indians often turn mole into mountain so not surprizing if Indians did try to fool the readers into believing that Muslims and Sikhs worship kali.

Is it true that Thugee ceremonies involved ritual human sacrifice of captured travellers ?

Alright Indiana Jones is fiction, but it suggests blood sacrifice to appease the Goddess, Kali. Is that true, that Kali Maaaa requires the sacrifice of human blood as portrayed?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Thugee were Kali worshippers.

Why would Muslims and Sikhs be worshipping Kali may I ask?

I have more than a passing interest in the history of our sub continent of that period.

Among the prominent thugs (later caught & hung) named in the book I refered to are Sheikh Madaree, Amanoolah, Firengea ( a hindu who was among the most prominent),Rada kishun to name a few. The names have been spelt as writen in the book.

On pages 198 & 199 has been reproduced a copy of the hand written record of detailed genealogies of the prominent thugs extending upto 8 generations.

Note that Godess Kali was a prop for the hindus to justify what they did, while the others did so purely for monetary gain. In any case to waylay travellers of diff religions gangs had to have a mixed composition.

Was the Thugee aim to make India a Kali worshipping country?

Thugees worshipped 'Kali', the Hindu goddess of death and destruction. They believed Kali had ordered them to destroy all men who were not of their kindred. Hence, every murder carried out was considered an offering to Kali. Surprisingly, Kali's followers were normally good citizens (many were influential in Indian society) who were also devoted to their families
B is for Burton: Kali, Thugees & the Temple of Doom

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom