What's new

The Seven Great Powers

its not so much that the sanction ' which has had an impact on Russia , rather its the falling OIL prices which has hurt its economy a'lot worse
Well that was also part of the plan isnt it??
Crashing oil prices served 2 purposes,one was to stifle fracking's future (in USA),the other puprose it served was to restrict Russia's development.

I noticed this about Indian people in general, you guys seem to think India can produce better products, what makes you think so? Based on what industry? The only reason India doesn't flood the world with your goods is because if you were to make it, it would be far less quality, than ours, if you can make it at all.

This is proven by you don't have much of a manufacturing sector. Since most Indians think people like you guys better than us, why not go for yours, if your quality statement is true.

But mostly, not as low as China? You do realize our wage is far higher than yours right? A fact that somehow is missed by every Indian. Our per capita is more than 4 times yours.

I'm willing to concede both these points, if you can point me in the direction that paints a different picture.

There are Indian products that are top quality. i don't know where you get your information. Your wage point is an issue now, not before.

What about this part, granted this could mean something else, but that's the way I took it at the time.

As to China VS India, I don't usually like to do it, but I seen this particular view point many times and I'm just wondering where it came from.

It won't be bashing if it's true, but, you said India produce quality goods and in that sentence, it would imply, India produce better quality products.

Now that;s not in line with what you "proven," all you prove was we don't give a damn about UAE, but the goods we ship to US are mostly good enough, for the price.

The drilling of the sense will have to wait, until you prove India produce quality, rather than we can produce crap if we want to rip you off.

Are you kidding me? Take it me...Im from America...and we can't stand your products. Cheap piece of $hit, doesn't last, toxic, bad for your health, etc. You have no clue how Chinese goods are perceived in America!

It's embarrassing that India is the list. We sure have the potential but we've been steadily underperforming for years now. Besides even our regional sphere of influence is very limited

India could become a regional power, if she shuns hindu extremists.

At the moment, the way she is going (e.g. supporting cross-border terrorism in neighboring countries, forcing people to convert etc.), things don't look good for India, as far as becoming a regional power is concerned.

Sir
I was and still am a staunch modi hater (fans don't take offence please) but to be honest about 50 years of secular rule haven't given India any GLORY either. Also on your accusations of supporting border terrorisms, if you believe these allegations does have substance then you must also now that it is not the present hidutwavadi/right wing government that started it. India is a strong democracy and Bjp came to power riding on anti incumbency and promises of development if they fail to deliver they'll be rooted out like ABV's regime in 2019. So please spare us of your 'things don't look good' BS.

What about this part, granted this could mean something else, but that's the way I took it at the time.

As to China VS India, I don't usually like to do it, but I seen this particular view point many times and I'm just wondering where it came from.
It won't be bashing if it's true, but, you said India produce quality goods and in that sentence, it would imply, India produce better quality products.

Now that;s not in line with what you "proven," all you prove was we don't give a damn about UAE, but the goods we ship to US are mostly good enough, for the price.

The drilling of the sense will have to wait, until you prove India produce quality, rather than we can produce crap if we want to rip you off.
Comprehension issues.. we don't take it seriously..

I glossed over KSA, India and Japan because I don't consider any of these nations to be "powers", expect in a limited circumstance (that and I was in a hurry and forgot. Thank's for the reminder!!!). India is still trying to find its way. It's economy is growing nicely, but it hasn't reach its potential by any stretch. Its political dealings are limited by Chinese influence, its strongest neighbors are hostile towards it. India's military is strong enough to resist some threats, but it can't fight China, let alone a fight across the sea. India is a more limited China. It's a regional power that is confined to an even more limited region.

Japan isn't a military power, it's still an economic one, though its position is threatened by weak growth, but it is second to none, even better then the US, in cultural domination. Japanese products, from anime and manga to cars and foods are world recognized for their quality. I buy American when I can and when I can't I buy Japanese. Still, Japan's political situation is limited as is its military one by the US, though Japan, contrary to what is often thought, still has an independent foreign policy... as seen between Japan and Russia.

The KSA is a gas station with more leverage then Russia. It's military is strong, but largely untested and thus we don't know how they would perform in a fight against, say their arch enemy Iran. KSA has dominance over the fractured GCC, but limited political influence over anyone else. Culturally KSA matters to one Islamic sect, but for those of us that are not Sunni Muslims, we see KSA as a backwards nation that doesn't respect human rights... even if that view is hypocritical.

To highlight the KSA's limited impact on overseas political and economic dealings, even in matters relating to resources, I turn to Reuters:

Revamped U.S. oil hedges may test OPEC's patience

As a war of nerves between U.S. shale producers and Gulf powerhouses intensifies, OPEC's biggest members are counting down the months until their upstart rivals lose the one thing shielding them from crashing oil prices - hedges.

They may need much more patience than they reckon, however, because those hedges are a moving target. Rather than wait for their price insurance to run out, many companies are racing to revamp their policies, cashing in well-placed hedges to increase the number of future barrels hedged, according to industry consultants, bankers and analysts familiar with the deals.

OPEC officials hope that once U.S. oil companies get fully exposed to the impact of an over 50 percent slide in crude prices since last June, they will have to drill fewer new wells, causing U.S. production growth to stall and putting a floor under oil prices now testing $50 a barrel.

"There are companies which are hedged until the beginning of the year or until the end of the year, so we need to wait at least until the first quarter to see what is going to happen," United Arab Emirates Energy Minister Suhail Bin Mohammed al-Mazroui told Reuters and one other news agency last month.

Yet that hope is based largely on quarterly company reports from several months ago, when drillers last made their hedging portfolios public. In the meantime, with the price rout showing no sign of reversing, at least some firms have put on new hedges that will help prevent their revenues from falling further - and allow them to drill far longer this year than earlier expected.

"OPEC should not expect to see any impact on U.S. shale growth in the first half of the year and the impact in the second half is being attenuated significantly by producer hedging," says Ed Morse, global head of commodities research at Citigroup, one of the biggest U.S. banks involved hedging.

CAPTURING THE UPSIDE

For the moment, it is unclear which companies are involved in the effort. New hedging strategies are only likely to get disclosed in quarterly earnings reports in late January.

"It's a hot topic of discussion that everyone is thinking about and looking at," said Craig Breslau, who heads the energy derivatives marketing desk at Societe Generale in Houston, which has been involved in some restructuring transactions.

While the proportion of oil companies actually executing those deals is not that high, the deals thus far have been large in terms of volume and dollars, he said.

According to their last filings, oil companies such as EOG Resources Inc, Anadarko Petroleum Corp, Devon Energy Corp and Noble Energy Inc had hedged some of their 2015 production at prices of $90 a barrel or more.

The net short position of oil producers and other non-financial companies in U.S. crude oil futures and options markets -- used as a rough gauge of hedging activity -- has grown from 15 million barrels in August to more than 77 million barrels last week.

For many companies that set up "in the money" hedges prior to the slump, the downturn offers a chance to cash in or extend their protection.

For example, a company that had sold swap contracts to hedge a part of its 2015 production at $90 a barrel - essentially shorting forward oil prices to guard against a drop - could buy them now back at around $57 for a profit of about $33 a barrel.

Instead of just pocketing the cash, some companies are using the funds to shield themselves against a further market slide by buying swaps and options pegged closer to current prices.

With the December 2015 put option for $60 a barrel now trading at around $9 a barrel, swaps cashed in now could buy a producer nearly four times more protection at that price.

PROFITS OR SURVIVAL

Most of the half-dozen companies contacted by Reuters - those with sizeable hedges in place - declined to comment or did not reply to requests for comment.

A spokeswoman for EOG said that it was not selling off its hedges. Devon Energy declined to say whether the company was restructuring is large hedge book, but said it had not 'monetized' any of its position.

So far only two companies have publicly confirmed winding down their profitable hedge books.

Bakken shale oil pioneer Continental Resources pocketed $433 million by liquidating its hedges in September - a move that left the firm exposed to a further $20 slump, though it is not clear whether it has set up new hedges since.

On Tuesday, tiny firm American Eagle Energy announced that it sold off its 414,000 barrels of oil hedged at $89.59 a barrel through last December for a profit of $13 million to improve its liquidity - even as the firm said it would have to stop drilling until prices improved.

That appears to be the effect that OPEC is looking for, although thus far it is the exception rather than the rule.

"The companies' situation is strong," said an OPEC delegate from a Gulf producer. "All this will delay the impact of the lower oil prices."

Revamped U.S. oil hedges may test OPEC's patience| Reuters

The KSA just doesn't have the leverage it's thought too. US oil producers, via hedging, have just as much leverage as the entire nation of the KSA!

These nations are strong in some respects, but lack more metrics then the US, Germany, Russia and China. Some are taking a step backwards, Japan's economy is, though its military is progressing forwards. While others, India in particular are making great political and economic strides. Their military still needs work though.

Also, happy new year to you as well!!!
lol ah let me guess a shia refugee ? just to correct you shia is not a sect in islam.. no such thing as sunni vs shia.
its islam vs shia. shia population is maximum 100 million i say its less.. muslims are 1.7 billion. take out the shia thats 1.6 billion. so dont talk about other sects and influence as if the sunnis are only 30%
as for the article its not just about military power it was talking about other types of power and achievements throughout 2014. like political achievements through other means. its true you might not know how powerful saudi is in a conventional war but let me remind you that for the past 40 or 30 years saudis were major players in the fights that defined the world as we know it today. soviets in afghanistan and chechnya. americans in afghanistan and iraq. they might be terrorists but i just want to bring to your attention the saudi fighting spirit. or more correctly the muslim fighting spirit. so in case a war starts against saudi there will be a billion suicide bomber ready to go into action. including me.
anyway lets say you are a proud american and not a refugee. americans are blood thirsty terrorists they were involved in the killing of more than 100 million human beings. so who the hell are you to talk about human rights ?! is it civilized to kill thousands of innocent ppl with drones ? is it civilized to nuke cities ? american talking about human rights haha omg thats funny! what about thousands of ppl, majority black, shot and killed every year by police in america ? please stop breathing your ignorance is dangerous lol
i really dont give a shit about this report. so dont take it seriously
so next time you mention saudi try to be respectful. btw where are you from ? iran ? iraq ? syria ? you must be a shia refugee. i know you from the way you talk

have you read this article ?
@al-Hasani @Mosamania

Military powers:

Russia
USA
Germany
France
China
India
UK

Economy:
US
China
India
Japan
UK
Germany

Can someone sane name me 3 countries India has influence over?

I don't see India having no political influence. Over Sri Lanka? Or Myanmar? I have never seen anyone in any conflict say oh let's think what India is saying. India is not a great power and never has been. That's the blunt truth. Also there economy is smaller than Italy despite 1 billion population. That means their not an economics power too. Saudi Arabia has much more economic power than India.

There is 4 economic powers
Japan
Germany
USA
China
and 5 military powers
USA
China
Russia
Uk
France

I put UK and France because they have one of the most advanced military industries even though they are not very powerful atm. They can make nearly everything themselves.

The rest is bs. We are not a great power unfortunately atm, although we have been many many times in our history. Göktürks, Huns, Timurids, Selçuks, Memluks, Ottomans and many more.

Can someone sane name me 3 countries India has influence over?

I don't see India having no political influence. Over Sri Lanka? Or Myanmar? I have never seen anyone in any conflict say oh let's think what India is saying. India is not a great power and never has been. That's the blunt truth. Also there economy is smaller than Italy despite 1 billion population. That means their not an economics power too. Saudi Arabia has much more economic power than India.

India is a 2 billion $ economy at the moment.This alone merits atention ,but smart people (we can exclude you from this group) notice that at a 1.2 billion population (and rising) ,2 billion $ economy with 7% growth every year will soon be an economic powerhouse,not to mention a military one.Not to mention the market for such a developing middle class.

Loool. India is going to put us under the ground. Our previous slaves. Can't stop laughing.

Indians are on the level of Congolese for me. Slavery level 10. You don't even have a language slave.

Looks like goat molester tork has lost his mind. Mission accomplished.

Back
Top Bottom