What's new

The Seven Great Powers

I prefer Japanese brands when it comes to cars and electronic goods, except my iphone most of what I use 're Japanese brands (that includes my car lol). American and Korean 're the next best options.Now thats my perspective and that is exactly the reason why I'm pretty sanguine about the recovery of Japanese economy.They have loyal customers (like moi) around the world while China has yet to build a brand value. An example that I can quote is of Hummers, after it was taken over by a Chinese company Hummers have some how lost its sheen, nobody wants it any more.Though I still think China has made a commendable progress by seeping into almost every economy in every nook and corner of this world (Okay I know earth is round. Lol). Its just that I cant trust their quality.
When i said I was surprised you missed out on Japan, India and KSA I mostly meant Japan :) as I think that it can not be ignored for it has the capacity to emerge as a phoenix. India I agree is not a very ambitious country but I do feel that we produce quality goods and that too at low costs albeit not as low as Chinese, which btw has been the usp of Chinese goods. But in recent times as workers 've started to demand higher wages, Chinese goods 're loosing their edge over brands from other countries.

I noticed this about Indian people in general, you guys seem to think India can produce better products, what makes you think so? Based on what industry? The only reason India doesn't flood the world with your goods is because if you were to make it, it would be far less quality, than ours, if you can make it at all.

This is proven by you don't have much of a manufacturing sector. Since most Indians think people like you guys better than us, why not go for yours, if your quality statement is true.

But mostly, not as low as China? You do realize our wage is far higher than yours right? A fact that somehow is missed by every Indian. Our per capita is more than 4 times yours.

I'm willing to concede both these points, if you can point me in the direction that paints a different picture.

I noticed this about Indian people in general, you guys seem to think India can produce better products, what makes you think so? Based on what industry? The only reason India doesn't flood the world with your goods is because if you were to make it, it would be far less quality, than ours, if you can make it at all.

This is proven by you don't have much of a manufacturing sector. Since most Indians think people like you guys better than us, why not go for yours, if your quality statement is true.

But mostly, not as low as China? You do realize our wage is far higher than yours right? A fact that somehow is missed by every Indian. Our per capita is more than 4 times yours.

I'm willing to concede both these points, if you can point me in the direction that paints a different picture.
I really dont want to make this thread India vs China because that would be such as vacuous thing to do. Very often on this forum I've seen guys debating on this issue, i really dont wanna go around the mulberry bush again and again.
And if it was about wages then I see serious comprehension issues here, read my post again I 've nowhere compared the wages in China with the wages of Indian workers, i said it very clearly " workers 've started to demand higher wages, Chinese goods 're loosing their edge over brands from other countries."
How much can you misconstrue my post???

And about the quality of goods that China produces then let me give you an example that UAE has recently decided to put all the Chinese made toys under the scanner for its unsafe for kids and very often Chinese goods like toothpastes etc 're taken off the stores here. That should prove my point.
I had avoided posting these examples for I did not want to make it a China bashing thread. How could you ignore the lines in my post where I have expressed my respect for the country on how it has managed to emerge a winner in shark infested waters???
I wish I could drill some sense into you.

I really dont want to make this thread India vs China because that would be such as vacuous thing to do. Very often on this forum I've seen guys debating on this issue, i really dont wanna go around the mulberry bush again and again.
And if it was about wages then I see serious comprehension issues here, read my post again I 've nowhere compared the wages in China with the wages of Indian workers, i said it very clearly " workers 've started to demand higher wages, Chinese goods 're loosing their edge over brands from other countries."
How much can you misconstrue my post???

India I agree is not a very ambitious country but I do feel that we produce quality goods and that too at low costs albeit not as low as Chinese

What about this part, granted this could mean something else, but that's the way I took it at the time.

As to China VS India, I don't usually like to do it, but I seen this particular view point many times and I'm just wondering where it came from.

And about the quality of goods that China produces then let me give you an example that UAE has recently decided to put all the Chinese made toys under the scanner for its unsafe for kids and very often Chinese goods like toothpastes etc 're taken off the stores here. That should prove my point.
I had avoided posting these examples for I did not want to make it a China bashing thread. How could you ignore the lines in my post where I have expressed my respect for the country on how it has managed to emerge a winner in shark infested waters???
I wish I could drill some sense into you.

It won't be bashing if it's true, but, you said India produce quality goods and in that sentence, it would imply, India produce better quality products.

Now that;s not in line with what you "proven," all you prove was we don't give a damn about UAE, but the goods we ship to US are mostly good enough, for the price.

The drilling of the sense will have to wait, until you prove India produce quality, rather than we can produce crap if we want to rip you off.

What about this part, granted this could mean something else, but that's the way I took it at the time.

As to China VS India, I don't usually like to do it, but I seen this particular view point many times and I'm just wondering where it came from.

It won't be bashing if it's true, but, you said India produce quality goods and in that sentence, it would imply, India produce better quality products.

Now that;s not in line with what you "proven," all you prove was we don't give a damn about UAE, but the goods we ship to US are mostly good enough, for the price.

The drilling of the sense will have to wait, until you prove India produce quality, rather than we can produce crap if we want to rip you off.

India manufactures very little when compared to the breadth and scope of what China manufactures. But when they do - it's crap. Like their Aakash tablet or their Tata "nano." All garbage. Or take a look at their arms industry - it's supposed to reflect the epitome of what a nation is capable of building. Since, in theory, peoples lives depend on these things. One look at the weld quality of their "new" nuclear sub says all you need to know about Indian "quality."

So is it my fault that you misconstrued my post???

Genesis said:
Frankly why I avoided comparing India and China 're because I think there's no comparison between Chinese and Indian "products" as China trumps India when it comes to industries that rely on "hard" infrastructure (roads, ports, power) and will do so for the foreseeable future. But when it comes to "soft" infrastructure businesses,those in which intangible assets matter more, in such cases India tends to come out ahead, be it in software, biotechnology, or creative industries such as advertising.What is surprising is that knowledge-based industries such as software, IT services, and pharmaceuticals did not have much government banking unlike in China.Now thats incredible isnt it??
And also theres a difference in how both the economies see foreign investments, china embraces it while India has always been cautious, but then again it would be wrong to assume China automatically becomes the first choice.India does have a huge domestic market, proficient knowledge of English as well as there's a large pool of potential employees, its just that we have to let the foreign companies "in".
I'm still wondering why did you have to take my post as India vs China. Everytime you see an Indian flag in the profile do you automatically assume that the person would be anti-China???

germany ahead of everyone except the US? yea... no

germany has little military power but is a economic great power, of course, however there is no way it ranks second in the world when all is considered.

second is either russia or china, russia makes a lot of political moves internationally and much more assertive, china has massive financial power but more resevered militarily. militarily russia is far above Germany, financially china can influence world economics more than Germany.

I think the listing is purely on a US point of view and nothing else.. I really dont see how Saudi Arabia gets on that list, Given it's dependency on the US, If that is a criteria i'd say Israel definitely deserves to be the decisive power in the Middle East

Also the some what negative narrative on Russia led one to believe the assessment is not entirely on ground situations but on political perceptions

I think the listing is purely on a US point of view and nothing else.. I really dont see how Saudi Arabia gets on that list, Given it's dependency on the US, If that is a criteria i'd say Israel definitely deserves to be the decisive power in the Middle East
If what you said about KSA is true then I would bracket Israel too as a satellite of USA. :)

Also the some what negative narrative on Russia led one to believe the assessment is not entirely on ground situations but on political perceptions
True!!
Russia becomes the villain everywhere but its also true that Putin has recently been clipped of his wings. The Russian bear might take some time to recover from the recent sanctions.
Infact I feel the same about Iran, had Iran not faced so many sanctions I think it might 've had an edge over KSA and other GCC countries.JMHO!

5 out of 7 great powers are non-Western.

but United States is SO dominant that it completely shifts the balance towards Western World, and rightly so.

Also, Saudi Arabia is a great power and one shouldn't be surprised by it.

Decisions made in KSA effects regions far, far away Saudi Kingdom...

For example, as we have seen, KSA has literally dropped the global oil prices to their lowest levels...

Saudi policies have effected geopolitics of Iran/Russia, it has effected the economies of entire world, and moreover..it has effected industries like fracking in the West.

On global scale, Saudis matter much more than say French or Brits.

French/Brits are more 'pop-culture' hips..that is, they have better tech..make awesome planes, choclates etc, and have good economies.

Well all of that is good, but that doesn't make you a great power.

France, on its own, can't influence much beyond its borders.

Saudis on the hand other................................

I'm going to be honest with you, the only reason people listen to Saudi Arabia( Largely the Muslim populous/countries), is because they control Mecca and Medina, you best believe, if they didn't, America would give them a taste of democracy. They also have significant amounts of oil, but it's located to the east of the country, where a lot of Shia Muslim reside, hence SA always been allied with America against Iran. cause SA is largely Sunni, and Iran is largely Shia. And they don't want Iran influence in Saudi Arabia, because this might lead to a break up of Kingdom from the west to the rich east.

I presently don't have the time to really read it as I got to run in about 5 mins but from whatever I skimmed out of it, you talk of the refugees that Turkey has taken in coz of the ISIS mayhem?
IF that is so, then do you actually think that because of that, Turkey acts as a sort of 'stabilizer' in the region? And even if it did, that would make it part of the '7 great powers in the world'?
Turkey's strategic Role in the Heart of the Mediterranean Euro-Asia is second to none !
Turkey has the capability to shift dynamic's from Ukraine in the Caspian to the mid-east

If what you said about KSA is true then I would bracket Israel too as a satellite of USA. :)

True!!
Russia becomes the villain everywhere but its also true that Putin has recently been clipped of his wings. The Russian bear might take some time to recover from the recent sanctions.
Infact I feel the same about Iran, had Iran not faced so many sanctions I think it might 've had an edge over KSA and other GCC countries.JMHO!
its not so much that the sanction ' which has had an impact on Russia , rather its the falling OIL prices which has hurt its economy a'lot worse

whats ganda in it, khud dekho to accha, hum bole to ganda...
its a budding industry with high profitability..and minimal input...
try to respect the profession of the people who are in these industry... moreover, u know abt pakistan liking abt it...

This post deserves a Positive rating

India could become a regional power, if she shuns hindu extremists.

At the moment, the way she is going (e.g. supporting cross-border terrorism in neighboring countries, forcing people to convert etc.), things don't look good for India, as far as becoming a regional power is concerned.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom