What's new

The overpopulation thread

The world has tremendous food production but all that is just concentrated in the First World.

Over-consumption and wastage is real reason for famine around the world. Not overpopulation or something.

You would be surprised how much food is wasted in the first world....

even if the fertility rate is higher than punjab but still more babies are being produced in punjab it shares 60% of the population, its doesnt make sense if fertility rate is higher in balochistan because balochistan is practically uninhabitied area with little or no people

That 60% is an outdated figure for punjab.As i know it was around 55% in 1998 census.According to preliminary findings of the 2011 incomplete housing census its decreased to under 50%.

Pakistan

and

Pak population increased by 46.9% between 1998 and 2011 - Times Of India

The world has tremendous food production but all that is just concentrated in the First World.

Over-consumption and wastage is real reason for famine around the world. Not overpopulation or something.

We are beggars, we will beg to west. But we will not take correct measure to control our population. After all Thoka-Thoki is our national sport.. ,

condoms are satanic things, breeding is divine right..

Why on earth developed (underpopulated) country share there resources with us? Have you ever seen Lion(who give birth to one baby) sharing there resources with Warthog (who breed like ...)..

Refute the points in this short video. I dare you:

Bro, you are posting a video whose points were already addressed by the the video I initially posted and actually outlined a lot more like where this whole idea of overpopulation started.

The individual in your video is basically asserting the myth that was already refuted in the video I posted that human population is increasing exponentially and that one day we are going to run out of land, food, electricity (because no more oil), etc...

The video I posted already point out that if you took every single human alive today they could all have a nice house with a yard and fit with lots of space in the state of Texas alone. So space is definitely not a problem.

Furthermore, the Earths population is expected to peak at around 9 billion and then start dropping because as incomes and standards of living rise, infant mortality rates fall and people live longer they start having fewer kids. You can clearly see that the Earths fertility rate has been steadily decreasing since the 60s (and any single country with a fertility rate below 2.1% will eventually go extinct unless it reverses that trend - the world is currently at 2.42%).

World Development Indicators - Google Public Data Explorer

Here is the fertility rate trend for Pakistan, Bangladesh and India:
http://www.google.ca/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=sp_dyn_tfrt_in&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=region&idim=country:PAK:IND:BGD&ifdim=region&hl=en&dl=en&ind=false

The food shortages that people are afraid of have to do with the fact that all of the third and most of the developing world have not industrialized their agriculture industry as well as improper storage and transport of produce not to mention overall waste particularly in the western world.

For example, Pakistan produces 14% less sugarcane per acre (about 25 tons) in comparison to the world average at 28.5 tons per acre. However, this average takes into consideration the third world and developing countries I was talking about earlier under producing crops per acre of land. Thus, when you compare Pakistan's yield of 25 tons per acre to the US' yield of about 36 tons per acre it means we are producing 44% less of the same crop (sugarcane in this case) per acre. If we fully industrialized our agriculture sector and produced the same amount of sugarcane per acre as the US we would produce an extra 2 million tons (based on the 2011-2012 production figures of 4,638,361 tons from sugarcane alone) and based on an article which cited that Pakistan expects to import up to 600,000 tons of sugar you now see that we could actually meet all domestic needs and have 1.4 million tons for export. However, this isn't an isolated incident with a single crop either it's a phenomenon across a wide range if not virtually every crop you can think of but things are improving as the third and developing world become wealthier. Furthermore, if we switched over from sugarcane to sugar beets we would produce a substantially larger amount of sugar per acre.

Overall due to improper storage and transport it's estimated that between 30 to 50% of the worlds food supply goes to waste without ever even entering someones stomach:
50% of All Food Produced Is Wasted : TreeHugger

For example, in Canada alone we are estimated to throw away about 40% of our food supply every year:
Food waste: An unappetizing, $27B problem | Toronto Star

However, this isn't including the over consumption of food in various parts of the world.

As for energy we have plenty of natural gas and oil to last us for a very long time. Aside from our large oil and conventional natural gas resources we have still yet to be fully exploited yet large unconventional natural gas resources (ex. shale, tight gas, coal bed methane) as well as new discoveries like methyl hydrate deposits which can last humanity for thousands of years and everyone seems to forget that humans continue to learn and develop new technologies and future developments can include Thorium reactors (the world has enough to supply our needs for almost a 1000 years), solar is always getting cheaper every year and is a plentiful resource that will last us until the Sun burns out, enhanced geothermal energy will last us until the end of the Earth, there is work being done on commercially viable nuclear fusion reactors the first of which should be up and running by about 2030 (we have enough deuterium in the sea to meet all the worlds current needs for 150 billion years), etc...

Like I said before this whole idea of a overpopulation crisis is total bullshit. People suffer because of incompetent leadership.

sorry but times of india is no authority on pakistani data, its a very weak source too

i need official data and statistics and punjab is 60% of pakistani population as of now

It was also covered in pakistani media.I gave 2 other links.You must have official data if you know punjab is 60% of pak.

It was also covered in pakistani media.I gave 2 other links.You must have official data if you know punjab is 60% of pak.

the mere fact that punjab has constitutional representation of 60% of entire parliament is telling punjab is 60% of pakistan

We are beggars, we will beg to west. But we will not take correct measure to control our population. After all Thoka-Thoki is our national sport.. ,

condoms are satanic things, breeding is divine right..

Why on earth developed (underpopulated) country share there resources with us? Have you ever seen Lion(who give birth to one baby) sharing there resources with Warthog (who breed like ...)..

We aren't beggars, we're just greedy. India and Pakistan should look towards satisfying local demands for food before exporting it away to be wasted by overfed goras.

Surprisingly the Middle Eastern nations have a stable population growth rate, and are "under populated" considering their tremendous resources and land area. Iran despite being larger and more resource rich than Pakistan is less than half its population, same for Saudi Arabia - it must be differences in culture.

Pakistan has quality food....Natural resources and a lot of other things...If the greedy rich keep stealing and caring about their own sorry a$$ the of course the population of Pakistan will be blamed!

Pakistan has 1 of the best rice in the world....production rate is low and because of lack of research, the rice isnt yielding its best...Next it has 1 of the world's healthiest Barley variety, its wheat is also almost world class....

I am not sure how many of you know, but UK itself doesnt have good variety grains! It takes grains from around the world and cross breeds it with local variety (so that the offspring can grow in UK)

Were Pakistan to jump in IP + research it could have charged UK for every grain UK tries to cross with its local variety! I know this 1st hand as I have worked on cross bred (Pak x UK) variety Barley, Wheat and rice....so, yes I know the quality we have and how the UK is interested...

Next, we have high quality fruits I know this coz my current project is also a (Pak x UK) cross bred fruit....which I know from research we have good strawberries, mangoes, oranges (sorry do not know the variety as I do not work on citrus), also high quality nuts and many other things....

So, if any of you cry about the population not getting enough food, kindly draw your concentration and attention to the ni'mat of ALLAH.....we have alot, unfortunately, we have a horrible govt who doesnt fund for its research in crop improvement (pest prob, drought prob, heat tolerance and all this) and also the rich brats who own acres of land and do not invest in proper crops and instead ONLY dream about sending them abroad for MORE $$ instead of feeding the locals first...

but what will you do if we send 150 millions to pakistan.

I would invest in research + production

Population grows in every country, but in due proportion countries actually plan and try to figure out a way to feed the next generation while our govt thinks of ways to kill it and give excuses of over population....if they cant handle it they should not run for office of the NATION and just stick to province or even village level which they MIGHT be able to handle

We aren't beggars, we're just greedy. India and Pakistan should look towards satisfying local demands for food before exporting it away to be wasted by overfed goras.

That's exactly what we have been doing for the past 60 years. Why do you think there are too many of ours today? Did you not watch the video I posted in the first thread? Population rsis to meet food production.

Surprisingly the Middle Eastern nations have a stable population growth rate, and are "under populated" considering their tremendous resources and land area. Iran despite being larger and more resource rich than Pakistan is less than half its population, same for Saudi Arabia - it must be differences in culture.

For God's sake watch the video in the first post at the beginning of the thread. Population rises to meet fertility.
Middle Eastern countries are mostly dry desert and do not have the food fertility of the subcontinent. Why do you think they have smaller populations. Iran lost 3 million people during the war with Iraq that's why their growth is much slower than Pakistan's.

Just because 1 guy in a video called it a myth doesn't make it one. Government bashing is easy. have you seen the conditions overpopulation has created in Pakistan? Oh please don't pull out "Texas" thing again. Anyone who excuses overpopulation keeps pulling out the "texas' BS which has no credibility whatsoever. The texas myth has been used so many times that the a video was made to refute it. Once again I dare you to refute this:

Bro, you are posting a video whose points were already addressed by the the video I initially posted and actually outlined a lot more like where this whole idea of overpopulation started.

The individual in your video is basically asserting the myth that was already refuted in the video I posted that human population is increasing exponentially and that one day we are going to run out of land, food, electricity (because no more oil), etc...

The video I posted already point out that if you took every single human alive today they could all have a nice house with a yard and fit with lots of space in the state of Texas alone. So space is definitely not a problem.

Furthermore, the Earths population is expected to peak at around 9 billion and then start dropping because as incomes and standards of living rise, infant mortality rates fall and people live longer they start having fewer kids. You can clearly see that the Earths fertility rate has been steadily decreasing since the 60s (and any single country with a fertility rate below 2.1% will eventually go extinct unless it reverses that trend - the world is currently at 2.42%).

Here is the fertility rate trend for Pakistan, Bangladesh and India:

The food shortages that people are afraid of have to do with the fact that all of the third and most of the developing world have not industrialized their agriculture industry as well as improper storage and transport of produce not to mention overall waste particularly in the western world.

For example, Pakistan produces 14% less sugarcane per acre (about 25 tons) in comparison to the world average at 28.5 tons per acre. However, this average takes into consideration the third world and developing countries I was talking about earlier under producing crops per acre of land. Thus, when you compare Pakistan's yield of 25 tons per acre to the US' yield of about 36 tons per acre it means we are producing 44% less of the same crop (sugarcane in this case) per acre. If we fully industrialized our agriculture sector and produced the same amount of sugarcane per acre as the US we would produce an extra 2 million tons (based on the 2011-2012 production figures of 4,638,361 tons from sugarcane alone) and based on an article which cited that Pakistan expects to import up to 600,000 tons of sugar you now see that we could actually meet all domestic needs and have 1.4 million tons for export. However, this isn't an isolated incident with a single crop either it's a phenomenon across a wide range if not virtually every crop you can think of but things are improving as the third and developing world become wealthier. Furthermore, if we switched over from sugarcane to sugar beets we would produce a substantially larger amount of sugar per acre.

Overall due to improper storage and transport it's estimated that between 30 to 50% of the worlds food supply goes to waste without ever even entering someones stomach:
50% of All Food Produced Is Wasted : TreeHugger

For example, in Canada alone we are estimated to throw away about 40% of our food supply every year:
Food waste: An unappetizing, $27B problem | Toronto Star

However, this isn't including the over consumption of food in various parts of the world.

As for energy we have plenty of natural gas and oil to last us for a very long time. Aside from our large oil and conventional natural gas resources we have still yet to be fully exploited yet large unconventional natural gas resources (ex. shale, tight gas, coal bed methane) as well as new discoveries like methyl hydrate deposits which can last humanity for thousands of years and everyone seems to forget that humans continue to learn and develop new technologies and future developments can include Thorium reactors (the world has enough to supply our needs for almost a 1000 years), solar is always getting cheaper every year and is a plentiful resource that will last us until the Sun burns out, enhanced geothermal energy will last us until the end of the Earth, there is work being done on commercially viable nuclear fusion reactors the first of which should be up and running by about 2030 (we have enough deuterium in the sea to meet all the worlds current needs for 150 billion years), etc...

Like I said before this whole idea of a overpopulation crisis is total bullshit. People suffer because of incompetent leadership.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom