What's new

The Origin of the term 'Burger'

Mirsub Ali Fazlani

New Recruit

Reaction score
For those of you who don't know which 'burger' I'm talking about. Read these two paragraphs I took
from pak-marine on an older post about 'burgers'.

"Who exactly are burgers? This is an unanswered question largely because it is an unasked question. The remaining 10% classify for the “Burger” category because they are comprised of youths apparently residing in privileged areas called; Defense housing authority, Clifton or KDA or as they say in Karachi, “Pull kay us par”. The burger category also includes overseas Pakistanis who visit Karachi and are well-exposed to the global issues; be it politics, fashion, economy or eatery. 90% of the city defines burgers as people who have no knowledge or a sense of association with Karachi or Pakistan. The burgers, according to them, tend to live in their own little fantasy world where there is lots of partying, BBQs, beaches, fancy cars, girls, exotic houses, forefathers’ businesses to run, first-class travel tickets for vacations across the globe and are barely concerned with the daily issues of Pakistan like; poverty, crime, unemployment, power shorta! ges, economic meltdown, terrorism, water inadequacy, unexpected hike in oil, rice, flour or sugar prices etc. Their belief is that a burger’s life is all set and there never was or will ever be anything to worry about.

The burgers on the other hand have tolerated this stereotypical terminology for over a decade and a half, and have hence come up with retaliation when exposed to this term. Whenever an individual is referred to as a burger his first reflex is to call the referrer a “Maila”. LOL.....This is a term that has evolved over the past 5-8 years, and what it exactly means is also unanswered because it too is largely unasked. According to a few burgers that I met in my recent trip to Karachi during summer time, “Maila” stood for, “Any individual who can’t speak English, is a fashion disaster, belongs to a lower middle class faction of the society, can’t impress girls, does not drive a vehicle, attends public school and eats a lot of PAAN, CHALIA and MANIKCHAN! D”.

Now as for the origin, I believe it has something to do with the 'Burgher people' of Sri Lanka, who
consisting for the most part of male-line descendants of European colonists from the 16th to 20th centuries (mostly Portuguese, Dutch, German and British) and local women, with some minorities ofSwedish, Norwegian, French and Irish. So, Sri-Lankan's with some European ancestry. Their main
language is now English.

Plus, there one thing I'd like answered is why people say I have this 'fake accent' (I have lived in Canada for the first few years of my life) while they person asking me the question talks in a
stereotypical Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi accent with horrible grammar. I ask them if they can tell me how an 'authentic accent' sounds like but all they do is just mock my accent. I don't know
why I keep on pondering over BS like this, maybe it's the retard-ness of the people that just
leaves me spell-bound. Note. I have not only come across this situation multiple times in Pakistan
but also abroad (and usually the guy asking me isn't even a Pakistani).

P.S I'm in my angry blogger mood :hitwall:

Now as for the origin, I believe it has something to do with the 'Burgher people' of Sri Lanka,

Duh!

It's because they are western wannabes, rejecting their own culture in favor of western stereotypes. They prefer a hamburger to a sheermal, even if the hamburger is a cheap McDonalds burger.

i think its because bun kebab is a pakistani word for burger which is western term, the burger family prefers to say burger, i never forget the bun kebab of hyderi market :D and doodh ki bootal :D:D

i think bun kebab are spicier than burger

What is maila? what is the words origins? from the drink milo?

i think its because bun kebab is a pakistani word for burger which is western term, the burger family prefers to say burger, i never forget the bun kebab of hyderi market :D and doodh ki bootal :D:D

i think bun kebab are spicier than burger

Bun Kebab tastes better then the burgers at Mcdonalds etc. I like how they make the whole bun kabab in front of you.

i felt especially angry at your comments.First of all its not your place to ask people what to do.whats your problem?secondly why do you fell intimidated by a mc donals burger price?why does it have to be cheap?it is or its not doesnt matter ,why do you feel the need to show money.when we buy burgers we buy stuff we can hve not stuff that we dont want but is expensice so.i feel no need to stress my means so yes i am a comfortable person comfortable in my own skin ...howcrazy are these people.ithink they dont haave money and so they try to say abusive stuff to bring thoes down who do.but they try do do that by affirming that a burger is cheap.then why do you need to eat stuff for its cost,like you said'sheermal more expensive',perhaps they dont need to be showy and buying stuff thats expensive they are not complex like u.

When they know you are in PTI they start calling you burger bache! I thought burger are those people who keep hairstyle like burger.

When they know you are in PTI they start calling you burger bache! I thought burger are those people who keep hairstyle like burger.

They have wierd sense of fashion,use fake accents,call their father dad and mother - mom... have retarded hairstyles... and other retarded shyt.

PTI is burger movement because their own leader had a very playboy type life, he was a dilitant playboy and enjoying his daddy's money in oxford and used to night clubbing and stuff now he pretends to be wannabe mullah who is in hand and glove with talibans

the reality of country doesnt seem to impress him and just like burger kids he is used to dreaming and stuff

he dreamt how burger bachas will clean sweep the elections and when he got his first kick in the arse he hasnt yet been able to bring himself back to senses

PTI is burger movement because their own leader had a very playboy type life, he was a dilitant playboy and enjoying his daddy's money in oxford and used to night clubbing and stuff now he pretends to be wannabe mullah who is in hand and glove with talibans

the reality of country doesnt seem to impress him and just like burger kids he is used to dreaming and stuff

he dreamt how burger bachas will clean sweep the elections and when he got his first kick in the arse he hasnt yet been able to bring himself back to senses

This wasn't the PTI bashing thread! But somehow you had to do it!

Back
Top Bottom