What's new

The Moral Collapse and gradual break down of American/Western Society

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read the book or see the movie The Great Gatsby?

Gatsby is a tragic hero who was born poor and later became rich. yet all his effort is aimed at one thing: to leave his past behind and to seek validation and acceptance amongst the rich, to be accepted as one of them. He overdoes everything: the lavish parties, the fanfare, the silk shirts.

Yet, with all the silk shirts and all the parties, he can't erase his past. He can't shut off the little voice in his head which tells him he is still a wretched, poor little boy who is not good enough for the rich girl he loves.

There are many Gatsby's amongst us who constantly seek to prove to everyone -- and most of all to themselves -- that they have left their past -- what they consider a wretched misfortune of birth to be born brown and Pakistani.

Once you understand what's going on, you can't be angry at them They deserve our pity.
I watched the movie...was a good piece :agree:

I like the Robert Redford/Mia Farrow version.

I haven't watched the new (Leo Di Caprio?) version, so I can't compare or say if it was true to the book or not.
obviously i wouldnt like to watch movies of the times when only Aliens existed and used Alien lingo:enjoy: haha kidding.... i would rather watch of Leonardo's:smitten: hes a super actor! very intense! you should watch his movies,you would like it....no kidding...

There are many Gatsby's amongst us who constantly seek to prove to everyone -- and most of all to themselves -- that they have left their past -- what they consider a wretched misfortune of birth to be born brown and Pakistani.

Once you understand what's going on, you can't be angry at them They deserve our pity.
I however, do love the remarkable similarity you derived to that movie!!!

Agreed. And look at how the so-called "educated" people worry more about what six year old girls do half way across the world when they do this to their own women. What does that say about where the actual moral collapse is in reality?
========================================================================

Honour killing: Woman killed outside Lahore High Court – The Express Tribune

LAHORE: A woman was killed by her brothers on Tuesday outside the Lahore High Court (LHC) over marrying the person of her choice, Express News reported.

Her brothers pelted bricks on her, leaving her with serious head injuries which led to her death.

The victim had come to the high court from Faisalabad to attend a hearing of a case.

The suspects managed to flee after the incident. Police have taken the victim’s body into custody and further investigations are underway.
Maybe if you bothered going to the thread you would have seen Pakistanis condemning the act but then again you are vcheng the man who will even use his last breath against Pakistan...reported for derailing...as the above post has nothing to do with the thread and there is already a separate thread for you to shed your tears!

Isn't it funny how Western society, for all the claimed corruption, still is doing far better than the morally upright brigades? :lol:

PS: Oh forget the arguments, let's start with personal attacks, all together now, as a team! :D

Dude, you need to compile a list of the crap that our society has to offer as well. Trust you me, the you'll have a never ending list at your hands!

@Desert Fox

PS: Oh forget the arguments, let's start with personal attacks, all together now, as a team! :D

Says the guy who called the OP a pig early on.

Dude, you need to compile a list of the crap that our society has to offer as well. Trust you me, the you'll have a never ending list at your hands!

@Desert Fox

We have plenty of threads on that.

Must we be politically correct and bring Pakistan into every single thread, just to placate the drama queens?

Isn't it funny how Western society, for all the claimed corruption, still is doing far better than the morally upright brigades? :lol:

How about you concentrate on at least acknowledging some form of moral degradation...

We acknowledge and even say outright and condemn what is wrong in Pakistan while you bitch about everything but seem hurt as hell when the tables are turned...Man how old are you 12 or a good 70? Both ages when even logic fails and not to forget the 1 eye blind scenario:

All in East is bad...oh wait lets adjust all associated with my background is bad coz now I earn in US$$ so I have to kiss the *** and sing praises day and night for those who give them to me?! That itself is soo damn wrong!

Must we be politically correct and bring Pakistan into every single thread, just to placate the drama queens?

I pointed this out earlier.

What's better India or New Zealand.

If you say India, jump off a cliff :mad:

I know very well that we have enough threads on that...... that was precisely the point......... why group a whole nation (a civilization here) and bash it on the basis of our superior norms? Utterly useless, been done over and over.

Btw, who's the drama queen here..... minus the usual suspect? :D

I pointed this out earlier.

What's better India or New Zealand.

If you say India, jump off a cliff :mad:

Who says it's a question of better or worse?

When New Zealanders comment on social issues in New Zealand, do they give a damn what happens in India?

When will you feel secure enough as a proper New Zealander to debate social issues within New Zealand without reference to your ethnicity as an Indian?

How about you concentrate on at least acknowledging some form of moral degradation...

We acknowledge and even say outright and condemn what is wrong in Pakistan while you bitch about everything but seem hurt as hell when the tables are turned...Man how old are you 12 or a good 70? Both ages when even logic fails and not to forget the 1 eye blind scenario:

All in East is bad...oh wait lets adjust all associated with my background is bad coz now I earn in US$$ so I have to kiss the *** and sing praises day and night for those who give them to me?! That itself is soo damn wrong!

I know very well that we have enough threads on that...... that was precisely the point......... why group a whole nation (a civilization here) and bash it on the basis of our superior norms? Utterly useless, been done over and over.

I already pointed out that the headline was needlessly provocative and extreme. Presumably this is the headline chosen by the writer who seems to be an American Christian. It is his claim and, while most of us agree it is a bit extreme, he is entitled to his opinion,

Who says it's a question of better or worse?

When New Zealanders comment on social issues in New Zealand, do they give a damn what happens in India?

When will you feel secure enough as a proper New Zealander to debate social issues within New Zealand without reference to your ethnicity as an Indian?

When New Zealand was about to legalise gay marriage, all this arguments about Society breakdown, the dilution of family, the end of New Zealand society as we know it....

Nothing happened. No god's wrath. No natural calamity.

The only major problems New Zealand has is a high proportion of it's population is incarcerated (Maori Males). Binge drinking, etc.

The reason I discuss more about International new rather than New Zealand news, is because New Zealand is boring. Nothing major happens here.

Okay, let us step back and look at the basic definition of morality:

The term “morality” can be used to refer to some codes of conduct put forward by a society or, some other group, such as a religion, or accepted by an individual for her own behavior or, to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons.

So morality if for every society to establish for itself, by definition. What works for one society and is acceptable for its members, is not for others to judge. The only place where such judgments might become necessary are where interactions between societies is needed, more so in the ever-connected present day world. Even then, they should be limited to any concern related to such interactions, not to the society overall.

@Developereo @Hyperion Just found this extremely befitting quote:

10403501_319050714911807_7750420699558787258_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom