What's new

The Middle East blanketed in Snow

M. Sarmad

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
23 photos of the Middle East’s first snowy winter in decades

23 photos of the Middle East’s first snowy winter in decades

Snow has swept across much of the Middle East, a rare event in this part of the world. Arching south from Turkey, the storm blanketed parts of Syria, Lebanon, Israel and the Palestinian territories. As these photos show, the snow has brought delight to some in the region but has exacerbated the misery of others, particularly those in the vast Syrian refugee camps, highlighting the wide divergence of human experiences across this corner of the globe.

TURKEY

2013-12-11T152655Z_01_IST01_RTRIDSP_3_TURKEY.jpg

The Ottoman-era Sultanahmet Mosque, also known as the Blue Mosque, in Istanbul. (Reuters/Murad Sezer)

454268959.jpg

Syrian refugees pose in the snow in front of their makeshift home in Ankara. (ADEM ALTAN/AFP/Getty Images)

455431087.jpg

A Syrian refugee and his son walk through Istanbul. (BULENT KILIC/AFP/Getty Images)

SYRIA

2013-12-11T201354Z_01_SYR36_RTRIDSP_3_SYRIA-CRISIS.jpg

The besieged city of Homs, covered with snow. (REUTERS/Yazan Homsy)

2013-12-11T201530Z_01_SYR37_RTRIDSP_3_SYRIA-CRISIS.jpg

The Khalid bin al Walid Mosque, in the devastated city of Homs, covered with snow. (REUTERS/Yazan Homsy)

2013-12-12T112442Z_01_SYR20_RTRIDSP_3_SYRIA-CRISIS.jpg

Free Syrian Army fighters play with snow in the eastern city of Raqqa. (REUTERS/Nour Fourat)

455091463.jpg

A rebel fighter takes aim during clashes with Syrian pro-government forces in the Salaheddin neighborhood of Syria's northern city of Aleppo. (MEDO HALAB/AFP/Getty Images)

455091437.jpg

Rebels clash with Syrian pro-government forces in the Salaheddin neighborhood of Syria's northern city of Aleppo. (MEDO HALAB/AFP/Getty Images)

LEBANON

2013-12-11T164530Z_01_LBN06_RTRIDSP_3_SYRIA-CRISIS-WINTER-9826.jpg

Syrian refugees play with snow during a winter storm in Zahle town, in the Bekaa Valley. (REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir)

455469843.jpg

Young Syrian refugees build a snowman in a makeshift refugee camp in the Lebanese village of Baaloul in the Bekaa Valley. (MAHMOUD ZAYYAT/AFP/Getty Images)

455464253.jpg

A young Syrian plays with snow in the town of Arsal in the Lebanese Bekaa valley. (AFP/Getty Images)

03987654.jpg

Lebanese men take pictures in front of the icicles in the village of Hammana, southeast of Beirut. (EPA/WAEL HAMZEH)

455072551.jpg

The Roman ruins of Baalbek, in eastern Lebanon's Bekaa Valley, are covered with snow. (AFP/Getty Images)

ISRAEL AND PALESTINIAN TERRITORIES

Nic6273985.jpg

A Palestinian woman takes pictures with her mobile of the snowfall in the West Bank city of Ramallah. (AFP/Getty Images)

455453179.jpg

Israeli Arabs throw snowballs as snow covers the Dome of the Rock at the Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem. (Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

2013-12-12T123346Z_01_JER18_RTRIDSP_3_PALESTINIANS-GAZA-WEATHER.jpg

A man stands in front of the Western Wall as snow falls in Jerusalem's Old City. (Reuters/Darren Whiteside)

455453645.jpg

Orthodox Jews walk past the Damascus gate in Jerusalem. (Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

455453653.jpg

A Palestinian man stands in the snow at Damascus gate outside Jerusalem's old city. (Uriel Sinai/Getty Images)

Mideast_Israel_Palestinians_Weather-06c48.jpg

Two Palestinian women play with snow outside al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem. (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)

TS-Nic6274126.jpg

People walk near palm trees as snow falls outside Jerusalem's old city. (MENAHEM KAHANA/AFP/Getty Images)

Nic6274052.jpg

A Palestinian man carries a sheep on a farm during snowy weather on Mount Gerizim, near the West Bank city of Nablus. (JAAFAR ASHTIYEH/AFP/Getty Images)

Nic6273979.jpg

Manger Square, with the Church of the Nativity in the background, in the West Bank town of Bethlehem. (MUSA AL-SHAER/AFP/Getty Images)

03987655.jpg

A Syrian refugee carries branches of firewood during snowfall in the village of Hammana, Lebanon, southeast Beirut. (EPA/WAEL HAMZEH)

Winter are setting in here but no snow yet.Infact I know it wont snow here ever.:(

I don't know what the average temp in Cairo is in winter months. I had always assumed it was a relatively warm climate. I look forward to my visit there one day soon.
Relatively "warm", if you compare it to the temp in NY in the winter for example, but still little cold. You are welcomed to visit anytime

It is.

Cairo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The coldest ever recorded temperature in Cairo in modern day times is -2 C. Normally it never snows in Egypt.
It snows in Sinai regularly in the winter, but that's about it as far as i know.

Relatively "warm", if you compare it to the temp in NY in the winter for example, but still little cold. You are welcomed to visit anytime

It snows in Sinai regularly in the winter, but that's about it as far as i know.

Yes, I was going to mention Sinai since it more or less borders the northern provinces of KSA and the mountainous areas there where it snows regularly each year.

Sinai is also the only place in Egypt that has mountains. Geographically it is more similar to Southern Jordan (Wadi Rum and the mountains there) which it also borders and the mountainous areas of the northern part of the Tabuk Province in KSA.

Thank you my friend, I really look forward to visiting your great country very soon. As for winter, I live about 100 miles south of NY and right now is is very cold here. Brrrrr!

Yes, I was going to mention Sinai since it more or less borders the northern provinces of KSA and the mountainous areas there where it snows regularly each year.

Sinai is also the only place in Egypt that has mountains. Geographically it is more similar to Southern Jordan (Wadi Rum and the mountains there) which it also borders and the mountainous areas of the northern part of the Tabuk Province in KSA.
Global warming is affecting the Middle East in more of a "postive" way lol

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom