What's new

The JH7B---Rashid Minhas---Navy Frigates---Less Subs

It may be worth mentioning (which is missing from the discussion here), that the JH-7B's engines and aerodynamics is designed for low level penetration, somethings others are not. This means that it has considerably better performance in that sphere. I'm surprised a senior mod here with engineering and defense aerospace background argued against you @MastanKhan without any consideration of that.

It may be worth mentioning (which is missing from the discussion here), that the JH-7B's engines and aerodynamics is designed for low level penetration, somethings others are not. This means that it has considerably better performance in that sphere. I'm surprised a senior mod here with engineering and defense aerospace background argued against you @MastanKhan without any consideration of that.

Hi,

Well---one has to understand that concept of the design first to comment on it---. Most posters think that newer is better---. They are more focused on multi role aircraft having no concept that there was a time when there were aircraft manufactured for specific roles---.

The JH7 is a copy of the F111---the ultimate low flying strike aircraft---other than the swing wing option---.

Hi,

Well---one has to understand that concept of the design first to comment on it---. Most posters think that newer is better---. They are more focused on multi role aircraft having no concept that there was a time when there were aircraft manufactured for specific roles---.

The JH7 is a copy of the F111---the ultimate low flying strike aircraft---other than the swing wing option---.

What they are also missing is that an aircraft, even a "multirole" one, when fitted out for a low level, long range strike mission, does not remain multirole anymore. Nor does it do the job as good as the dedicated striker. You can't replicate the aerodynamic profile, nor the engine design of a low level striker.

Also, the JH-7 is "multirole" in the sense that it can fire BVR missiles and has a powerful radar and jammers. They don't understand that F-4s were used in the US as multirole aircraft, and often even in the air superiority role, given the powerful radar and jammers it had.

JH-7 is more like a larger Jaguar instead of a F-111 and it suffers from most of the same problems as well seemingly.

Btw, does JH-7 have terrain-following radar capability for low-level and high speed flight profiles? Also am curious if any of the Chinese radars have the synthetic aperture radar mapping modes (a capability not provided in our F-16C/Ds or MLU aircraft).

I'll add here that JH-7A is a recent variant of this outdated design which even the PLAAN and PLAAF were reluctant to induct (look at the numbers procured in the early years). So made complete sense for PAF to reject it outright.
This is what AirForce Technology said about its radar ... "The JH-7 is equipped with Type 232 H Eagle Eye multi-function fire-control radar, which tracks target information of YJ-8 (C-801) subsonic anti-ship missiles from a maximum distance of 70km to 100km. It also offers fixed air to air and navigation capabilities. The radar cannot operate on land due to its deficiency of terrain and precision strike abilities."

This seems to have been upgrade now with JL-10A radar from 2005 onwards, which has some terrain following based on the 1970s tech but reading about it does not seem to instill me with confidence on its capabilities. Hoping the upgrade to an AESA solves these issues with the Thunder

Last edited:
J7B can be compared to SEPECAT Jaguar. Higher ground clearance for the engine nacelles and longer landing gear struts hallmark of fighter prepped up to operate from unprepared or FOBases do avoid ground FOD.

Are Chinese offering paf jh7b

Is it on the table
Not sure about the JH-7B, but the JH-7-series is available for sale under the FBC-1 designation

http://www.avic.com/en/forbusiness/militaryaviationanddefense/fighters/index.shtml)

To admit I'm surprised that this is even discussed. Why should China sell the JH-7??

To my knowledge the JH-7B is dead and the JH-7A also no longer in production, so all PAF could get are older already well-worn aircraft??

To admit I'm surprised that this is even discussed. Why should China sell the JH-7??

To my knowledge the JH-7B is dead and the JH-7A also no longer in production, so all PAF could get are older already well-worn aircraft??
JH7 is based on retired modified form of old Russia mig 27
82744_1328989821.jpg

Low level penetration days are gone due to advances in enemy air defenses, AWACS, low level sensors will see incoming aircraft and engage it with SAM. That is why more capable Tornado is considered obsolete.

Not sure about the JH-7B, but the JH-7-series is available for sale under the FBC-1 designation

http://www.avic.com/en/forbusiness/militaryaviationanddefense/fighters/index.shtml)

I don't know why this obsolete bird is discussed here again and again which world considers as obsolete, its waste of money and putting pilot in harms way.

Its clear that those who are continuously putting JH-7 for Pakistan don't have clue about military stuff and threat posed to Pakistan from its enemy.

Whoever is in favor of JH-7, should be given this bird and sent across the border to see himself what will happen to this obsolete bird.

JH7 is based on retired modified form of old Russia mig 27

Never ever ... both are in NO way related to each other. Sorry to say so, but you should read a bit on both types history.

They both have so much in common like a MiG-21 and a Phantom II ... :undecided:

Low level penetration days are gone due to advances in enemy air defenses, AWACS, low level sensors will see incoming aircraft and engage it with SAM. That is why more capable Tornado is considered obsolete.

I don't know why this obsolete bird is discussed here again and again which world considers as obsolete, its waste of money and putting pilot in harms way.

Its clear that those who are continuously putting JH-7 for Pakistan don't have clue about military stuff and threat posed to Pakistan from its enemy.

Whoever is in favor of JH-7, should be given this bird and sent across the border to see himself what will happen to this obsolete bird.

You need to do your research better. Low level flight has not become obsolete.

The production tooling is most probably still there, as is the needed labor. This was the last major weapon system for the town and region concerned. It the facility fails, a lot of jobs are at stake.

You need to do your research better. Low level flight has not become obsolete.

I have my info from professionals and my personal working experience so I know things which I talk about.

Are Chinese offering paf jh7b

Is it on the table

Was on the table for sure, not sure about current status. PAF rejected it. I wish Bangladesh would buy the tooling, would really be a jump-start for the aerospace industry in BD.

I have my info from professionals and my personal working experience so I know things which I talk about.

I'd disagree. USAF red flag exercises show flying low can still be effective, albeit with increased losses. Flying over the sea is even harder to detect.
Maybe you can expand on what work experience you have that relates to flying strike missions at low level, for naval strike.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom