What's new

The ISI needs to reform itself

it only require to close its political desk. rest be upgraded and stick to the objectives. no other changes required.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

she has done a fine job, And I strongly hope it would continue to...

in the process, do not forget that some people (looking towards east) are trying to put all the blame squarely on OUR country-- In the process, they are 'twisting' the facts of history-- If you so want to 'look forward' then make sure it is 'backward compatible'.. You cannot just wipe the slate and start over.. Its a 'state' you are dealing with, not a 'slate'.. know the difference please..

Thank you and you have a point, SOME people are indeed bent on trying to do just that - however, I think they can only succeed if we prove their contentions -- and that's all the more reason that we cultivate a nimbleness, not just physical but also mental - what I mean to suggest by using the word "nimble" is not a opportunistic approach, but rather, that we first of all be true to ourselves, our values, our vision, our best ethics -- in the long run, sir, serious people do not create wealth and at the same time cultivate dangerous environments, they do the exact opposite -- Does that mean we have no ill wishers on the other side?? Certainly not - but lets keep our perspective, people can claim whatever they may want to, but if our house is in tip top shape, claims to the contrary will fail to persuade.

On the Strategic affairs board, there is a interview of Dr. S. Cohen posted, I encourage you to review it.

Allow me to take issue with the portion that deals with problems inside Pakistan - this problem is not limited to FATA and such - indeed, the problem is best characterized as "general" because of it's pervasive nature - and here of course I am referring to extremism - before it is a behavioral choice, it is an ideology and before that it is a problem looking for a solution --- An understanding of the major societal problem in Pakistan cannot be said to be complete without a realization that extremist thought and behavior has to be imparted, it has to be taught, it has to be supported -- and if we are to be serious, that is to say truthful, we must acknowledge that none of this could have been possible without the support of the State and her institutions -- it is this support that must, as a first step, be withdrawn and turned into as serious disapproval as it was once approved.

Sir, I agree with you, there is extremism all over Pakistan. But the main root of the problem with all the groups (splinter groups/Punjabi Taliban, Afghan Taliban, TTP) is their affiliation with Al-Qaeda. Al-Qaeda has their strongholds in FATA. As Clinton & Obama indicated, the US is fine (& willing to negotiate) with those groups that distance themselves from the Al-Qaeda. It is al-Qaeda that has a globalist extremist agenda, that is a threat to nations. Pakistan needs to make sure that all the 'local groups' distance themselves from the Al-Qaeda. Once that happens, things can get better, & these groups can be 'handled'/tackled much more easily. That is why I am saying that the Pakistan situation is not even being close to as grave as Afghanistan. Afghanistan also has to deal with a whole lot of groups that aren't influenced by Pakistan in anyway. My two cents.

Let's get a few things clear. There will be no war between the US & Pakistan. Neither country wants that. The Americans are suffering terribly in Afghanistan, & Pakistan is faring badly as well. However, with polar opposite objectives of both countries w.r.t Afghanistan, some compromises will be made by both countries before the US withdraws its troops.

The ISI needs to reform itself. It has created a cobweb for itself. It is rooting for the Haqqani network & the Quetta Shoora for the end game in Afghanistan. The US does not want the Haqqani network in the picture for the end game in Afghanistan. I believe the US is fine with some kind of power sharing between the Mullah Umar group (Quetta Shoora) & the present leadership in Afghanistan, but no group that has strong ties with the Al-Qaeda.

Let us make a distinction between a few groups:

1. Al-Qaeda (Arab fighters, international group of terrorists)

2. Al-Qaeda affiliate groups in the region (LeT, HeM, IMU, TSNM)

3. Afghan Taliban (Mullah Umar group, Hekmatyar, Haqqani)

4. Pakistani Taliban TTP (Mehsud group, Fazlullah, Waziri group. The Waziri group have burned their bridges with Mehsud & Fazlullah)

5. Punjabi Taliban splinter groups (LeJ)

It is very easy to see in these 5 categories how the cobweb has been created. The Al-Qaeda needs splinter groups, & local Pashtun groups to thrive in the Afghanistan-Pakistan border region. So the Al-Qaeda are protected by all these groups. While the Al-Qaeda are given protection from the Afghan Taliban, the TTP, the Punjabi Taliban; these 3 groups do not have the best of relations with one another, with their loyalties shifting very easily. While Pakistan is rooting for the Haqqani network as well as the Waziri group (Mullah Nazir, Hafiz Gul Bahadur); these groups have strong ties with Al-Qaeda as well, & the Al-Qaeda is an inherent threat to Pakistan, even if the Haqqani network & Waziri group by themselves aren't. Pakistan needs to disentangle itself from this cobweb.

The local Punjabi Taliban are splinter groups, & they aid the Al-Qaeda & their affiliate groups such as the LeT, HeM in Kashmir; & the IMU, TSNM in Afghanistan. The ISI has not supported these groups in anyway, but they have not disbanded the Punjabi Taliban either as they 'serve a purpose in the region'. But the LeJ is also responsible for the killing of Shias & other minorities in Pakistan. The Al-Qaeda & their affiliate groups are a threat to Pakistan as well, & are responsible for killings inside Pakistan.

In North Waziristan, the ISI is looking to root out the Mehsud TTP faction by marginalizing them, getting the support of the Haqqani network & the Waziri group to fight them. That will most likely work out in Pakistan's favor as well. While the ISI will not be looking to burn bridges with the Haqqani network, they need to make sure that the Haqqani network sever their ties with Al-Qaeda groups & their affiliates. The Punjabi Taliban that aid the Al-Qaeda & their affiliates in Kashmir & Afghanistan, & are responsible for suicide bombings inside Pakistan must be rooted out.

Why do you think that only ISI needs to reform? How about CIA, RAW, MI-6 or Mossad? Tell me how they are different.

There is a choice for Indians to make now, either stand with Pakistanis and show them that you do NOT want Pakistanis to be your enemy, or just wait for us to get free from this War of Terror, which we will (as usual).. You have proven to be our Enemy by putting up the 'wanted' list anyways..

With attitude like this, who wants to be friends anyway?

Enemy or friends, if such attitude continues, we don't even have to move a hair keep Pakistan's journey in the path that it is on.

What's wrong with putting up a list of criminals, who had committed crime against Indian people in Indian soil?

Perhaps, if ISI (and other Pakistani establishment) really shows that it has distanced itself from the radical elements, the elements that pursues unconstitutional war against India, things will be somewhat better. A partnership/ cooperation, sort of, will develop (friendship will still be decades away, if at all).

It is however, is a good development, for start, that at least they are trying to introspect and looking forward to a way to make a come about from the path of destruction that it is in. If they are really honest about it, I say, India (or any other nation) should really offer hand of help and agree to deal with little more patience (allow sufficient time for clean up) before starting to press Pakistan to do more.

It is al-Qaeda that has a globalist extremist agenda, that is a threat to nations. Pakistan needs to make sure that all the 'local groups' distance themselves from the Al-Qaeda. Once that happens, things can get better, & these groups can be 'handled'/tackled much more easily. That is why I am saying that the Pakistan situation is not even being close to as grave as Afghanistan. Afghanistan also has to deal with a whole lot of groups that aren't influenced by Pakistan in anyway. My two cents.

Agree with this. Once the main threat is removed in a decisive manner, the smaller groups will realize that their time is limited. Those seeking shelter with Al-Qaeda will be shown the other side of the coin and there's nothing better than to demoralize the enemy.
But rather than proceed with a full scale operation, the best way would be to send in small but highly-trained teams of special forces with air support. Large operations may not work and will be too expensive to keep up.

And we shouldn't let the terrorists escape in the form of IDPs. My view: Surround the area first and allow only those civilians to leave that have NICs and have been living in the area for a long time. The right intel will be crucial here.

Back
Top Bottom