What's new

The Indian Rafale: Why Pakistan Should Celebrate! -Opinion (ALL Rafale posts here please)

India want's diversification. It is tired of the Russians escalating prices and delaying time lines. France has been a trusted country for such key defense equipment so it was always going to be the French. Although, US-India relations are on a high, India will not buy key defense equipment from them for now.

What this does is deliver a straight forward message to all Counties wanting to sell defense equipment to India that it has several options. Wait and watch how both US and the Russia will now improve their contracts, rules and delivery procedures for India.

We are late but we are getting there. The long negotiation also has a positive, that is, India will not budge easily. It's something every vendor will notice. Our next negotiation, hopefully, has delivered this message and we have also learnt from our own mistakes.

All in all, very positive as far as India is concerned.
So you mean to say that India at this point does not trust USA, they did not opt for Russian planes because of delays in time line so the only option left was Euro fighter or Rafale. So the French took advantage of this. Approx $8billion for 36 warplanes is steep. Norway then got a very sound deal for USA.

In My opinion India should have immediately gone with limited quantity of F-18 and then F-35.

Countdown to india crashing first Raphael is on

All bets are being taken

The Raphael is a dangerous aircraft but like the O.P i have a feeling the regret for india will be enormous

:lol: There surely is a possibility of that happening.

This is from a naive and novice. I have this question in my mind - if at the end of the day it all boils down to nuke option, what's the point of taking these deals too seriously?? It's like the book has already been cooked for the pre-fixed bottom line while sweating over minute expenses and assets lines...

They need the army on the Afghanistan side or for lesser military threats that can be dealt with without nuking and deal with them easily.

Also to deter India, they don't really want to use the bomb if they can help it.:D

Russians are upgrading 250 su30 so I don't think they will Panic as they got there share
Other then this and that we need to counter this by having 20/30 5+gen fighters either from Russia or euro
At least ,as we have 2 years to counter this air deterrence till now our backbone project jf 17 block 3 is doing good and we will have more then 250 jfz
Pak need to work on Turks with TFX as well as keep focus on 5 gen jet
I'm sorry my friend, Pakistan has sanctions imposed on it by the so called USA and if it helps Turks Stealth Fighter program or try to gain any thing from them they will also be sanctioned...typical States policy

:lol: There surely is a possibility of that happening.
Rafale has zero combat experience while as F-16 has seen many wars, and is combat proven...

Unfortunately we will get NONE of it,

1. J10 are out of question, PAF is fully committed with J17 and its blocks
2. EFT is way too expensive and they will never sell us such advance piece of technology
3. No "latest" F16 No Aim120D, look point 2

Hope it helps, goodday

Exactly

I agree...EFT to pakistan? F16 latest blocks or latest US armaments to pakistan?...not happening until pakistan completely changes it's terrorism policy. But then, if it does then it doesn't require any jets.

part a
im sure they do order on blocks. this is a down side actually as you dont get a big discounts as opposed to one large bulk order

part b
thats europe for you, heck everyone thats not a strategic partner. during war time would they continue to supply parts?

part c
yes the fast induction of fith gen fighters is concerning but europe not going anywhere there would upgrade them. heck the french intend to extend the life of the rafale to 2030+ till a 6th gen fighter is ready. same thing applies to us to.

part d
the tejas is meant to replace the mig-21 the rafale would replace the mig27 and the jags.
i will come back to this later.

part e
it was bound to happen the submarines the ships and the engines. india cant make these.

part f
the door closed when we knew from the beginning it was not wort our breath bothering anymore. and focusing on other countries which worked out well with kuwait.

part g
i dont get it sorry

part h
happens everywhere. if theres no bribes then somebody clearly messed up somewhere. but the severity of the bribe is the question one should ask.

the most interesting point i would come to is point d.
the rafale is going to replace the mig-27 and the jags but they have the amca and the russain t-50.
thats 3 massive projects. and thats one to much. one of them would get a massive cut but not the axe.
seeing the rafale deal done for now and the t-50 deal moving along that means the amca is threatened big time here and this falls on to their indigenous engine with a french m88 core and hp turbines.

i could be wrong they could go all out with the amca and cutback on the t-50 as they already been doing. or even cut back on both.

a smart adversary would never harm the adversary directly as this would make them stronger but would give them a trojan which would be great for in this case 10 years but after that, it falls apart.

no need to go for the typhoon. work on the jf-17 and work on the nga( next gen aircraft) as said by your acm
Did the IAF not express concerns aboug T50 not meeting their requirements for stealth? This has been in the news. I agree that already IAF has too many platforms and want to cut down types. I suspect they will hedge their bets and wjichever pronect comes along sooner nd better will be adopted.
I suspect the engine will come in handy for TEJAS as well as commonality may well be an economical way to go.
A

The purpose of an opinion blog is to incite debate, which I have. In my profession, that is called a DH. Only some of the ultra smart ones picked up on my sarcasm. The deal today means the PAF comfort zone is now over, and something needs to be done. Sorry to disappoint some of my fans that expect only "great" information. Its okay to be mediocre, and also okay to be wrong.

For the all the personal attacks, insults, etc, maybe you forget that I can intentionally choose to sound dumb so that you can rapid fire all your information, sometimes even classified ones. There is a lesson there for some, if they will learn. When i was learning to fly, at 3000 i used to be mesmerized by how oblivious the people down on the ground were. You will never have our perspective, as you not been there, not felt it, not seen it, and not thought about it. My IP used to call me a poet. I never claimed to have any such credentials.

When you become completely impartial (Mige 23, 27, Mig 21, irrelevant, since this is not MRCA tender no more), and think about some of the points I raise, then they will create a discussion and debate. Otherwise, if you are here on an agenda, you can continue to spew hate and ridicule me, it bothers me no more.

I would love to have detailed discussion on some of the points I made, both agree and disagree with them, but for that I wish this forum was a bite more mature, than just a flag waving brouhaha. I disagree with some already, but they have the decency to write their disagreement in a cordial fashion. The pedestrian seem to be the majority.

If decency returns to this thread, I would love to have the discussion with all men here, from PK or IN.

BR

PAF will counter Rafale. The question is how? by more f-16 probably as an immediate requirement. The next option will be to get either Typhoon or SU-35 until advancement on 5th Gen aircrafts are done. We need to counter the immense threat of IAF which is currently at advantage with a lot of Su-30s.

We don't have funds to buy 8 F16's so heavy platforms like su35 are out of question, right now PN is the top priority.
Jf17 should serve well till we get next gen birds.

This is from a naive and novice. I have this question in my mind - if at the end of the day it all boils down to nuke option, what's the point of taking these deals too seriously?? It's like the book has already been cooked for the pre-fixed bottom line while sweating over minute expenses and assets lines...

Nukes are more of a political tool, countries with nuclear weapon can still fight limited conventional war before international community responds. thats my take. goodday

We don't have funds to buy 8 F16's so heavy platforms like su35 are out of question, right now PN is the top priority.
Jf17 should serve well till we get next gen birds.

Pakistan's options are realistically, limited to enhancing the JF-17 for now only. J-31 would have to wait till some other partners co-develops the plane with Shenyang and then Paksitan could then buy them off-the-shelf.

Sir, I think they deliberately bought 36 aircrafts to make sure tejas program remain in picture.

It seems like that on the on-set, but the continued delays in TEJAS could work against the LCA program, and India may continue buying more RAFL or look for a single engined aircraft such as the US F16 or Gripen. IAF is crossing the red line on serviceability and squadron numbers, and very soon the military professionals in IAF will get their say.

An article full of errors...

Point A - Its to replace Mig27. Not Mig21.

Point B - FALSE Claim. Which aircraft of equal capability is 6 times cheaper?

Point G - Our Military wanted this aircraft, that too in 100s. Its civil leadership which restricted it to 36 (for the time being at least )..

Point H - Any aircraft deal from a foreign country will be suspected. Nothing specific to Rafael.
My friend, its not a article, its an opinion. You can disagree. It is replace Mig 23 really, but will be replacing the dwindling Mig-21 first due to TEJAS being delayed.

With all due respect Sir Rafale was never intended to replace MiG 21. It is a replacement for MiG27/Jaguars strike aircrafts. Tejas will replace MiG 21 gradually no matter how much anyone disagrees.
(2) IAF seems pretty happy with performance of Mirage 2000 and is even spending significant amount on upgrading them. Plus I am pretty confident IAF must have taken in account cost of operating/upgrading the aircraft into consideration before signing it.
Other knowledgeable members would be happy to clarify your other points.
So it is to replace aging MIGS in IAF. However, where is the MIg21 replacement?

Pakistan's options are realistically, limited to enhancing the JF-17 for now only. J-31 would have to wait till some other partners co-develops the plane with Shenyang and then Paksitan could then buy them off-the-shelf.

I agree, Jf17 is a excellent cost effective platform, it may not be as advance as other birds but its a step in right direction,

One thing is for sure though ... trudging along with the game plan of just procuring JF-17s (its later block iterations) and used but upgraded F-16s isn't going to cut it any more. Pakistan needs to acquire some extra muscle from somewhere somehow ... or else an air conflict in the future may just turn into a turkey shoot in the adversaries favor.

I congratulate our Indian members on the signing of the Rafale deal. Even 36 of these platforms can reign havoc to our air, ground and strategic assets. Low RCS, advanced radar, very potent EW suite and long ranged accurate weapons ... nothing to be taken lightly.

Just my 2 cents.
You are one the bright ones that pick on my sarcasm. The comfort zone of PAF is now over, and they now have a formidable asset they need to worry about.

There's no treason for celebrations here. It should be taken as a cause of great concern for the PAF. There's no way to spin this. While PAF is fascinated with a 1970s era F-16s, India is undergoing 100-Billion+ modernization program almost creating a generational gaps between the capabilities of both air forces.
Spot on. Its alarm bells.

LOL, Did your account have been hacked, just curious

@PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy @Taygibay @Nilgiri @hellboy @Omega007

Before answering your post lets see what does this deal means

Negotiations over the past 17 months have yielded more advantages to the Indian side over the MMRCA deal. The French had made an opening offer of €12 billion in May 2015 when the negotiations began. The French offer came down to €8.6 billion on the midnight of 25-26 January, 2016 when French President François Hollande was in India as a chief guest for the Republic Day celebrations. But the Indian side wanted the price to be reduced further. It was in May 2016 that the two sides finally agreed at a price of €7.878 billion.. Prime Minister Modi had confirmed in Paris in April 2015 that India would buy 36 Rafales, all built in France. The Rafales will have 14 India-specific enhancements and MBDA-built 150km-range Meteor air-to-air missiles & Scalp-EG cruise missiles as part of the €7.878-billion (around Rs 59,000 crore) deal. The French will also guarantee performance-based logistics support which means that 75% of the fleet will be airworthy at any given time. IAF will also get free training for nine personnel, including three pilots, estimated to be worth €100 million. The IAF will get an additional guarantee for an additional 60 flight-hours for the trainer version of Rafale, and a concession to keep the weapons storage in France for an additional six months without any charge. The French have also agreed to supply spares for a period of 7 years at initial cost, instead of five years, with an option that a new deal will be negotiated for the next five years. The standard European escalation cost has also been brought down from 4% to 3.5%.

This is hilarious, When did anyone from the India, and the RM or GOI official said that those rafales are for the replacement of the MIG-21. Here is the actual requirement, which is the long range DPSA requirement, which IAF needed for which it needed twin engine, long range, and high load carrying capability, which Rafale have period. For the replacement of MIG-21, we needed a single engine combat plane which LCA/LMCA Tejas Mk-1 qualifies and could use the infrastructure and shelters builts for the Mig-21. MIG-21 would be phased out till 2024, and presently providing the role of Interceptor/point defence --(Mig-21 Bison), CAS role, which other Mig-21 provides and MIG-21 UB which is twin seater variants for the training purpose. Read it slowly, and understand the roles and the requirement.

Notorious expensive, well tell me the cost of the F-16 block 60/62 or the EF-2000 cost. The cost of Rafale F3R which India is now procuring is coming approx 85 million a piece for flyaway condition. The highter cost indicates that the cost shown was with the spares support for 5/7 years, and the infrastructure cost plus the weaponary including long range Meteors.

This is also a funny remark, because it is based on an assumption that the adversaries will absorb the plane with inherited training and tactics. Janab it will take years for IAF to absorb, train, and make strategies around it, and the same formulla will also be applied for the so called adversaries.

Why would it so ?? When the role of both the planes are different. The cost factor which is almost thrice the cost of the LCA is a big factor, and both of them will be complimentary to each other. IAF need for Rafale is only 189 unit, and those will be ordered in batches, and IAF have already given the order for 126 LCA mk-1 with SOP-18 standard, and IN is already commited for the 40 units for the carrier version. There is also a huge requirement for the LCA trainer twin seater of MK-1 LCA. As you can see there are enough orders so where are you specullating the internal battle. Infact Rafale F3R would help India, in gaining various cutting edge technology because their are arround 20 technology which will be transfered to India, and the details will come latter. Pls visit Rafale sticky thread for more information.

How ?? 36 +18 units of Rafale is the initial batch which will be taken in flyaway condition, till the Dassault could ties up with the Indian OEM to prepare the ground, and the capability in the country to produce it in India first with kits, and then increase the production percentage wise.

LOL, close the door -- How ?? When IAF have choosen Rafale over Eurofighter because it suits more for their requirement, then how did it is corelated to closing the door for Eurofighter.

Now are you referring to the french side of politics, because if you are referring to Indian approach, its not very difficult to understand that both GOI and IAF have long zeroed on Rafale.

Do you have any authority to comment on the so called big bribes to the French, with zero credential and proof. If you have any proof please share otherwise its just a scarcism, and the jealousy. Rafale was choosen with an extensive trial and competition among 5 OEMs and aircraft, and every OEM have praised the manner India and IAF conducted the trial in a opaque manner. Each test result was shown, verified with the OEM's presence and signed by them in which only EF and Rafale came first, and EF was beaten by Rafale on the basis of economics.

This was very disappointing post of yours which I have read of you, kindly check the quality of your post, because I have great regard for you.

I am sorry to disappoint you. I will call you next time before i post my opinion.

The Remaining Aircraft will be MADE in India

Dassault will create a company which will be controlled by them in Partnership with
Indian Private sector companies such as TATA or RELIANCE or L & T

IAF has carried out extensive calculations about Life Cycle costs

The costs are in LINE with the Enhanced Capabilities -- The Best amongst
the Three rival forces namely IAF ; PLAAF and PAF

The whole idea of remaining aircraft is now in jeopardy, with the tug of war that will ensue. Hence my opinion which you missed.

That is exactly the idea ; Rafale will ensure that IAF remains AHEAD of the Curve
for very long time -- Given that J 20 is TEN full years away from being Fully Operational

Russia PAK FA / FGFA is the Next Acquisition planned by IAF
In order to retain our technological edge

As on Today Rafale is the Third Best plane after F 22 and F 35

By opting for only 36 aircraft, IAF has put its main adversary, China and PK out of their comfort zone, and who will now do what they can to neutralize this advantage. So as a move to stay ahead of the curve, its not good enough or big enough. To get here was a long hard fought hand to hand battle in India. Adding another hundred maybe impossible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom