What's new

the Indian Army's JAK LI infantry regiment

My uncle was paratrooper qualified. When used to come back home , he would be deadbeat for weeks

Gurkhas's average weigh 130 - 150 pounds, load in question 110 pounds, do you think it's good for an uphill mountain warfare esque fighting? Load is stripped down to around 60 - 70 pounds or so including gun.

Here's dossier explaining their fighting doctrine.

The Royal Gurkha Rifles - British Army Website
Now when did we talk about mountain warfare?. Any soldier will carry different amount of equipment depending on the nature of op. But for same op, two soldiers carry equal weight. For example, if two soldiers go on a op on similar roles (let's say as forest or mountain warfare), they will carry similar equipment of similar weight, regardless of height. I am just saying army men in a unit carry similar weight. Equipment is not given on a basis of height. Similarly functions of troops are also not divided on the basis of height. If you are an army man, you will have to get same weight training and ops as your mates. You cannot give an excuse that coz I'm short, I should carry less weight. Its as simple as that.

I do agree that women have lower upper body strength and they also have low bone weight so they can't lift as much weight. Men also have the advantage of testosterone. Maybe that's why women are not being given combat duties.

Last edited:
Now when did we talk about mountain warfare?. Any soldier will carry different amount of equipment depending on the nature of op. But for same op, two soldiers carry equal weight. For example, if two soldiers go on a op on similar roles (let's say as forest or mountain warfare), they will carry similar equipment of similar weight, regardless of height. I am just saying army men in a unit carry similar weight. Equipment is not given on a basis of height. Similarly functions of troops are also not divided on the basis of height. If you are an army man, you will have to get same weight training and ops as your mates. You cannot give an excuse that coz I'm short, I should carry less weight. Its as simple as that.

I do agree that women have lower upper body strength and they also have low bone weight so they can't lift as much weight. Men also have the advantage of testosterone. Maybe that's why women are not being given combat duties.

Sir, height is right is a policy encouraged by all countries. A person weighing 130 - 140 pounds can he lift a 90 pound load for combat in the hills? Simple physics. Similar equipment like guns, ammo, yes, supplies, kit... no. Gukhas traditionally are light infantry. They are used as snipers and skirmishers and shock troops (ghatak units).

Sir, height is right is a policy encouraged by all countries. A person weighing 130 - 140 pounds can he lift a 90 pound load for combat in the hills? Simple physics. Similar equipment like guns, ammo, yes, supplies, kit... no. Gukhas traditionally are light infantry. They are used as snipers and skirmishers and shock troops (ghatak units).
I just shared what I learnt from my cousin, an army Major. What I know as a fact is that Indian army height requirement for males is only 5'4'' for all combat roles. The US Marines height requirement is only 5'2" for males, IIRC, 5'1" for the US Army. Flight units and paratroops actually have height limits - you cannot be too tall, or you won't be able to join. Ceremonial units do have very stringent height requirements. I don't know much else about this topic so I won't pretend that I do.

Last edited:
I just shared what I learnt from my cousin, an army Major. What I know as a fact is that Indian army height requirement for males is only 5'4'' for all combat roles. The US Marines height requirement is only 5'2" for males, IIRC, 5'1" for the US Army. Flight units and paratroops actually have height limits - you cannot be too tall, or you won't be able to join. Ceremonial units do have very stringent height requirements. I don't know much else about this topic so I won't pretend that I do.

They prefer tall people. Short guys in my dad's course got kicked out first in P.T.

Back
Top Bottom